“Hold your breath”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Troy
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Hold your breath”
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

My family of four definitely did not enjoy our stay. We are Hilton Honors members and trust in the Hilton chain.

We arrived at the hotel a couple hours before check in. We were completely exhausted and grateful there was a room available for an early check in.

The room had a musty smell. We were so exhausted I decided to let it go, unpack and grab a nap before we headed back out. We were going to be in the area and really were only looking for somewhere to grab some sleep between events so we weren't going to be in the room much. At least not awake.

As I unpacked, I dusted off and cleaned hair out of the dresser drawers. This disgusted me but everyone was exhausted and settling in so I let it go.

When we returned to our room at the end of the night I realized the smell was definitely still there. We all gathered to watch tv before bed, only to have the tv go off. We we went to sleep but set our alarms so we could be sure to grab the complimentary breakfast. Uhh it was not worth it. The made to order omelet was "okay" but the french toast, pancakes and hash browns were cold and not good!

When we returned to the room I discovered how dusty the main air vent was! There was a thick layer of dust covering it and air conditioning was blowing out of this vent all night long. I was disgusted. I found dust and hair in several other parts of the room! The bed skirt was stained. We did use the pool and noticed the air vents were filthy there as well.

While checking out, I showed pictures of the dusty vent and other disgusting stuff to the front desk clerk. She apologized, gave us a discount and promised to show the pics I took to housekeeping so they would be addressed. I have to wonder if we were given a crappy room because we arrived early or if this is the standard.

I couldn't wait to get home.

• Stayed June 2013
ESTroy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Troy/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Lelanne,

We thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip. Reading your comments, it appears that we fell short of your expectations and for that, we sincerely apologize. We are accustomed to receiving very positive feedback from our guests and are disheartened that you did not experience the level of excellence you deserve. Please be assured that your concerns will be shared with our management team so that corrective measures are taken where feasible.

We do hope that you can give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel if your travels bring you to our area again.

Eric Welch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My family stayed at Embassy for the Canada Day long weekend.
The check in was quick and friendly, room was good, I got a little bit disapointed with their breakfast, specially on Sunday, it was crowed and they didn't have fresh fruits only pineapple and peaches from a can ( sweetened). After sometime they brought some apples and bananas. On Monday breakfast was better with some fresh fruit,, I am wondering if they made the changes as the hotel was not as busy as the day before, for sure it was not an Embassy hotel standart.
Front desk was helpful but lacked of knowledge, It would be good to have a printed list of close attractions to provide guideline to the front desk in case the person is new on the position, what was clear that happened to us.
Manager's special, same thing. No veggies on saturday (hotel was busy), veggies on sunday

Rooms were cleaned, pool and gym room very good.

Overall experience good and enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ESTroy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Troy/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Colamq,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay with us. We value our Canadian visitors' business and appreciate many loyal, repeat clients from Canada whom come down frequently for shopping and to spend a weekend away from home. While we do change up breakfast and evening reception offerings daily and are different from weekends to weekdays, most feedback is very positive of all of the variety of selections that we choose to serve complimentary to our guests on all days; to which most of the items that we decide to serve on those days are often driven by prior guests' suggestions and feedback.

Thanks again for the great review, and for your valued business and for your continued loyalty, and we hope to service your future lodging needs again soon.

Troy, MI, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our family stayed here and we were pleased with the service and amenities. Our room was very clean and well-kept. The only thing we didn't like was the mattress on the hide-a-bed couch. We would stay here again and recommend it highly.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Susan C,

Thank you for the Excellent review of your recent stay with us! I appreciated your compliments of your room being "clean and well-kept", thank you. Although it seems that your overall stay was very pleasing I do apologize for the uncomfortable mattress that you experienced on the sofa sleeper bed.

Thanks again for the Excellent review and for your valued business, and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the near future.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Excellent hotel. I recommend it to all my friends at work. The breakfast is always great and the snacks at the evening reception are nice. Rooms are always clean and you have space to spread out. I'm picky about the cleanliness of the bathroom and shower, but I have never had an issue at this hotel. I stay here often and it is worth the extra 5 minutes drive from where I work.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for the Excellent review of your recent stay with us! I am happy to read that you have stayed with us multiple times now and each time has been satisfying and met your expectations for both cleanliness and guest accommodations. Thank you for sharing this feedback as maintaining guest loyalty is one the most important keys for us to stay successful.

Thanks again for the Excellent review again and for your valued business and loyalty.

Memphis, TN
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We recently stay at this Embassy for the Weekend while attending a family member's wedding in Warren, MI. The rooms were nice and comfortable for all 4 of us. This location was perfect, not far from a Mall (even though we didn't get a chance to visit). The reception hour was nice and appreciated especially after a long travel day. The morning breakfast was divine. I am very picky when it comes to hotel stays and I make sure to check out the reviews on TripAdvisor before booking rooms any where. I give this hotel/location 4 stars and I would stay here again if I am ever in Detroit, MI again

Dear explorer12go,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay with us. From your explanation of the purpose of your travels to our area, it seems that our hotel guest accommodations, complimentary Evening Reception and Breakfast services were all enjoyed by you and your fellow travelers. I am glad (and relieved) that our hotel and Team Members' service met your expectations from what you formed from your research on tripadvisor prior to choosing our hotel for that special weekend.

Thanks again for the great review and for your valued business, and we hope that we will be your first choice for lodging again in the future.

Cocoa, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were attending a family gathering, and our stay at this hotel was a gift from a relative – what a gift it was! I don’t even know where to start praising this place, so I’ll start with the beginning. Check-in was super-friendly, we were issued passes for free drinks at the Manager’s Reception; then we were greeted by a personalized welcome letter in the spacious, meticulously clean rooms, featuring a sitting room, wet-bar area, bedroom with crisp, fresh linens and a very modern bathroom with fluffy towels and high-end, organic toiletries. The wet-bar area consisted of a fridge, a little kitchen cabinet, a coffeemaker with good coffee and a separate sink. Now there is something cool about not having to disturb your “significant other” in the bathroom just to get water for the coffee… Breakfast was fabulous, with awesome coffee and a great selection of food. Unfortunately we did not have enough time to use any of the facilities, like the pool or fitness center. My recommendation if you’re looking for something other than just a place to crash: spend the extra money, as it is well worth it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Renate1111,

Thank you for the Excellent review of your recent stay with us! I really appreciated your detailed descriptions of so many pleasing items and features that you enjoyed inside your suite, thank you. While all those amenities and guest accommodations that you described perfectly are appreciated, your description of how the first impression of your arrival with the "check-in was super friendly", that is exactly the way we want to greet and welcome our guests at check-in, thank you for mentioning this.

Thanks again for the Excellent review and for your valued business. We hope to see you back soon for another wonderful stay with our Team.

phoenix
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Room was clean, bed was comfortable, and this hotel was very convenient to the places we were visiting on this trip. Breakfast was included, and had way more selections than I had expected! Even many hot dishes and made to order omelettes were included. We were also pleasantly surprised when they told us that we got 3 drinks per person, per night, at the bar during their happy hour! Front desk staff was pleasant and accommodating. Only criticism is that I had called ahead of time to ask if they had magnifying make-up mirrors in the bathrooms, and was told they did not, but that they did have them in housekeeping, and all I had to do was ask for one when we checked in and they would bring it right up. When we checked in, I was told they did NOT have them and never have had them. So I had to go out driving and search to buy one. Other than that, all was great.
Would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sherryshoes
Dear sherryshoes,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I am glad to read how our guest accommodations were satisfying and surprisingly more than what you expected it seems. Thank you mentioning how our breakfast had good variety and that the omelets made to order was another offering that was more than expected.

Thanks again for the great review, and for your valued business and we hope to service your future lodging needs.