“Just Okay - nothing special”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Troy/Auburn Hills
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Troy
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I remember a time (in the late 1980s and early 1990s) that staying at the Embassy Suites was a treat! The rooms were always immaculate, the breakfasts were superb, and the hospitality was exceptional. Not so at this Embassy Suite hotel.

I've stayed at this one on and off over the years when in town for business. I stayed there three nights. It has really gone down hill and needs some updating. The other patrons staying at this hotel certainly did not reflect the clientele that I expected - young children running the hallways, parents yelling at them, then all family members (as well as others) going down for breakfast in what looked like their pajamas. YIKES! And their rudeness when obtaining their breakfast! Why don't people have any manners anymore!

The room I had was fine - just fine. I slept well each night. You can see that the hotel has done some updating to incorporate granite counter tops in the bathroom and mini-kitchen area. The carpets in my room were dirty - I purposefully wear clean white socks around the room and check the bottoms to see how clean the carpets are. The pillows are cheap and the sheets are like sandpaper.

The ambiance of this hotel is very nice. I don't think that I'll stay here again on my next trip.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ESTroy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Troy/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear bearina,

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Large 2 room suites with a king-size bed in main and a pull out sofa in the anteroom .Each room/floor overlooks a 5 storey glass covered indoor atrium accessed by 3 windowed elevators. Pleasantly quiet rooms for sleeping considering layout. A nice sized indoor pool . Easy to get to hotel ...right off the 1-75 heading north or south. Special rates are often featured. Close proximity to Somerset Mall and a plethora of dining /entertainment venues. Did I forgot to tell you about the fabulous made- to- order breakfast in the atrium dining lounge and the two drink snack in the afternnon ...all complimentary with the room. We had a great time with family in adjoining suites. A very friendly staff was experienced throughout our stay.We will definitely book this place in the future.

Room Tip: Get to the complimentary breakfast early to avoid the crowds and/or to get a booth with a tv ... ju...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ESTroy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Troy/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear WINDSORTWO,

Thank you for the Excellent review of your recent stay with us! Your details of all of the hotel accommodations from the suite amenities and furnishings to the complimentary "fabulous" breakfast, are all appreciated very much. I will share your positive feedback with all of our Team Members as they will appreciate reading your compliments of the property and especially your compliment of the service being "a very friendly staff experienced throughout".

Thank you again for writing the Excellent review, and we appreciate your valued business, and we hope to service your future lodging needs again for your future visits to our area.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ive stayed at this location many times. The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is always friendly. The pool area is clean and well maintained. The breakfast is amazing. The managers receiption is very nice, they offer drinks and snacks. The reception area has tables so you can bring your favorite board game and play with the family. No complaints.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
ESTroy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Troy/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear Tp47832,

Thank you for your Excellent review of your family's recent stay with us! I appreciated all of your wonderful compliments of our property, everything from the spacious and clean suite to the complimentary, "amazing" breakfast and Manager's Reception services. I especially appreciated your statement that you and your family visit our property many times now and that our Team Members are "always friendly", as we believe that our guest service is what truly impacts our guests the most.

Thank you for writing the Excellent review again and for your valued business and continued loyalty to our hotel.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very good Hotel, it is really possible to rest and relax after a working day. The late afternoon receptio is really nice and kind. Nice people and very efficient. The Suite is very good with a big bed and a sitting room. Need to improve the offer of Healthy Food for Breakfast: Light Cheese, Fruits, fresh orange juice,...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Paula P,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us. I appreciated reading your compliments of the daily reception that helped you to relax after a long day at work, and how you recognized our Team Members as being nice and efficient. Additionally, I will share your suggestions with our Executive Chef as we do like to try new breakfast items for our guests and value our guests input on these services.

Thank you again for the review and we hope to service your future lodging needs when you are back in our area for business or leisure purposes.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Wanted to give my kids an opportunity to swim in a pool, decided on a short jaunt to an Embassy Suites near home. Nice room, great cocktail reception (kids enjoyed the snacks!) but the pool is COLD. General pool area is nice, with whirlpool and tables. But turn up the heat!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
ESTroy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Troy/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear AST77,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with our hotel. I was happy to read that our suites were satisfactory and the family enjoyed the Manager's Reception beverages and snacks, thank you for mentioning these positive experiences. Regarding the cool swimming pool water and area, I am sorry that your family had this unpleasant experience. As our swimming pool and Jacuzzi are important services that our guests enjoy, our management team will investigate this matter further and implement the necessary actions to correct this matter.

Thanks again for taking time to write the review and we appreciate that our local area residents choose to stay with our hotel for their weekend getaways.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We've stayed in this hotel 5 times while in the area of Troy, MI. We stay here because of the rooms--they are clean and comfortable. We stay here because of the cocktail hour of drinks and snacks provided by the management free of charge every evening at 5:30. We stay here because of the wonderful breakfast served at no extra charge. We stay here because our grandchildren enjoy the pool and hot tub. The staff is friendly and helpful. There are comfortable chairs and coffee tables set up over the entire first floor so it's easy to play games and enjoy conversation. We won't stay any where else in this area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LuLu1945619

Dear LuLu1945619,

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I was impressed with all your great details you used to describe our facility, suite amenities, complimentary services, and our Teams' service levels. Thank you for such positive feedback and especially for your continued loyalty in choosing our hotel for your lodging needs when you frequently visit the area.

Thanks again for the wonderful review and your valued business, and we hope to see you back real soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was the most amazing hotel I've ever stayed at. I don't know how they make money to stay open with all the free drinks and food they offer. I will never stop going to this hotel. I want to go back just to stay there, with no occasion, other than just to experience this awesome hotel again.

Room Tip: The top floor is the best floor and has the best view of the lobby/bar/restaurant, with the color ch...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank iamberzerk
ESTroy, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit - Troy/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear iamberzerk,

Thank you for the Excellent review of your recent stay with us! It sounds that this may have been your first visit to our hotel and an Embassy Suites Brand Hotel. Your description to how you do not know how we can make money giving free food and drinks, is actually a pretty common question by our guests, and is sort of humorous and we never tire of hearing it, thank you. Our Brand's success is founded on providing our guests with the best complimentary breakfast every morning and a welcoming, daily Manager's Reception featuring complimentary beverages and light snacks; these excellent amenities are on top of all of our 2-room spacious suites and an inviting, beautiful Atrium. Your descriptions of your experiences at our hotel describe all of these Embassy Suites Brand Service Beliefs perfectly, thank you.

Thanks again for the Excellent review and we hope to service your return lodging needs soon.