“Consistently Excellent Business Hotel”

Detroit Marriott Troy
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Jacksonville, FL
“Consistently Excellent Business Hotel”
Reviewed March 6, 2010

A fairly new and very clean hotel located along a busy commercial strip. No view worth recommending but near my work location and sitting amidst a dozen good chain restaurants and a high-end mall.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Bathrooms are always clean and well-stocked. Room furniture is well-tended. The rooms are fitted with very comfortable beds. The workout room is available 24 hours a day.

The staff is always friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately the high-end steak restaurant is closed, replaced with a slightly lower-end restaurant. But the serviceable and reasonable wine list is still there.

But there are many, many good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We recently needed a hotel in Troy for my Mother-in-law's funeral so we chose this Marriott due to convenience to the funeral home and to the other areas that we needed to be. The staff was very accommadating when I needed foam pillows and down alternative comforter (their standard bedding is down). The front desk staff were pleasant and smiling and checking in and out was simple with no lines. They also have a free shuttle to go anywhere within 5 miles, which comes in handy. Rental car service is also available in the hotel lobby.
I used the restaurant, Shulas, several times. Their breakfast buffet was very good and reasonable priced at $14 pp with coffee and juices/drinks included. Dinner there was also very good and they have great hamburgers (which are huge).
Room service toook about 30 minutes each time and the food was good, as well. However, one server told me the tip was included and another lady told me it was not and that I should tip her extra (which was awkward) since I am a good tipper to begin with.
The fitness center was clean with a variety of cardio machines which I used. All have individual TVs attached. Bring your own headphones. Their swimming pool with cabana was very nice and very clean, but the water was still a little chilly and the hot tub was not hot at all so we passed on that.
Room was clean with digital thermostat control on the wall. The bed was a pillow top mattress. Very soft. If looking for a firm bed, this is not the one for you. The TV was a large flat screen and all electronics worked properly.
The only issue we had with this hotel were the thin walls. We had neighbors who were physically and verbally fighting around 1-3 am which kept us awake. However, security responded promptly but they started again after they left. So...not much sleep the first night. The next 2 nights were better after they left and we heard very little.
All in all, this was one of the nicest hotels we stayed at in Troy. I will stay there again when family cannot accommodate us. I wish to send a sincere Thank You to the staff that made us feel at home during this tough time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. The hotel staff service was really great. I held meetings at the hotel and the staff was very attentive. I also ordered from room service and I can't complain. All around wonderful stay! I would stay here again when I am in town on business again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed November 26, 2009

We stayed here one Saturday night when visiting Michigan. From a long day of tailgating and visiting family, all we wanted was a comfy quiet room and room service, to hole up for the night and go to bed. They certainly accommodated our request for the quietest room - they gave us a high floor farthest away from an elevator. Room service was overpriced as usual for room service, but not anymore than other hotels. Food was splendid. Beds were comfortable. Bathroom functional and clean. Free covered parking.

Great location - right off I-75 and dangerously close to the Somerset Collection - watch out serial shoppers! :)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Bay Roberts, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Just returned from a 2 night weekend stay at the Detroit Marriot Troy. My wife and I go to the Metropolitan Detroit area once or twice a year to go shopping in the States. (We're Canadians, from Toronto)

This is the first time that we have stayed at the Marriot in Troy. The room was very clean and we had no complaints with the service. The bed was very comfortable. The rate was very reasonable, since we booked through an internet discounter. Lots of places to eat within a 15 minute drive, from really cheap to ultra expensive. (Shula's steak house is located right in the Hotel)

The hotel is very well located for anyone who plans on shopping at the various Malls that are nearby. The hotel is about a 3 minute drive from the nicest Mall in Michigan, namely The Somerset Collection. The Hotel is very conviently located about 1 minute off the I-75.

It is about a 5 minute drive to the Oakland Mall, about 10 minutes to Great Lakes Crossing Outlet Mall in Auburn Hills, about 20 minutes to the Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights, and just under an hour from the Prime Outlet Mall at Birch Run.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going for a shopping weekend in Auburn Hills/Troy/Sterling Heights area. We didn't even mind the drive up I-75 to Birch Run.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 24, 2009

Had an excellent stay. Was near others places to eat, and had an good bar with awesome tenders!!

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Southern California
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Stayed here for business for just over a week. The good thing about such a long stay is that you really get to know the quirks of the hotel. The bad thing is that you get to know the quirks of the hotel.

Good: Rooms are nice and well appointed. Bed was comfortable and there was a couch, desk and chair. There's also a dresser for clothing which also holds the small coffee maker and pullout tray with ice bucket and glasses. TV is large, flat screen. Toiletries provided are good, although I wasn't fond of the scent. Closet space is okay.

Bad: Even the 'bad' wasn't really bad. More like, mediocre. Room service food was just okay. Water pressure in the shower was also 'just okay', but not horrible. Chair at work desk had wheels on it, but was very hard to maneuver on carpeting.

Excellent: Customer service. Everyone from the front desk to the Executive Lounge was great. In fact, the Executive Lounge was a highlight of the stay. Great place to work without being in my room, snacks provided, TVs to stay on top of the news, internet access and lots of windows so you didn't feel closed in. I did not partake of the morning breakfast items in the lounge, so I can't speak to that, but the evening nosh was great. Both ladies who attend to the Lounge were fantastic and friendly, and I'm sorry I've forgotten their names.

All things considered, if you need to be in Troy, Michigan, this is a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business