“Staff is amazing!!!!!!”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Canton, Michigan
“Staff is amazing!!!!!!”
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Stayed at the hotel for a dance convention weekend of January 16 thru 18th. The hotel was booked solid. Due to Michigan's inclement weather, we arrived late (8:00 p.m.) There was only a King with a roll away available. I asked if we could have something a bit bigger as one of our Male dancers was staying with us, due to an illness in his family.

The gentleman at the front desk offered us a hospitality suite with a sofa bed and cot. It was wonderful! We had so much space and were able to have the kids over to play cards, and games, imagine that no computer, no WII, old fashion games like UNO cards.

The maids were so nice, they would smile and talk pleasantly.
The wait staff at Don Shula's was the same - breakfast in the morning was handled wonderfully by the wait staff, even though they only brought us our beverages for the buffet that was given to me for free (for 3). Which I greatly appreciated in these tough economic times.

It was a very cold, snowy weekend. I stayed in the room and watched tv and crocheted. It was wonderful and quiet! Even at night. I never heard any of the dancers roaming the halls or being loud like I have heard at other hotels when my son played soccer. Kudos to both the dancers and the hotel on that way. I slept! and Soundly too!

I had a little problem with the tv and the engineer, Marion, came and said it needed to be reprogrammed. he was so nice and asked me what he could do for me. I said, well what can you do for me? He provided a free movie! So those of us who werent' dancing, which included a two year old and his mom and a couple of the dancers brothers, well we watched WALL E - it was so nice.

I had called the hotel a number of times during the course of the week and found Joy, the hotel operator to live truly up to her name. She was patient (I heard they were closing the pool - not good) and kind. I ended up meeting her and thanking her for her help. Joy definitely needs an award for her customer relations skills. And I would also like to thank one of the front desk men, but I can't remember his name. I know he is from Bosnia. He was pleasant and very helpful.

Lastly, did you know they offer shuttle service to The Somerset Collection, one of the finest malls in the Midwest! I didn't take advantage of this offer, but I will the next time I stay at the Troy Marriott. Believe me there will be a next time!

Only complaint I have is that I had to put the sheets on my cot and my sofabed. I have four children and wanted to luxuriate in doing nothing for a change, so I was disappointed. And the pool area was freezing althought I'm sure that's due to all the glass in the area and the zero temps we were experiencing.

Troy Marriott thank you!!!! and thanks for the reasonable special luncheon/dinner menus you offered. I think I used my WW points just for that yummy hamburger!!!

• Liked — Fabulous customer service
  • Disliked — pool area was very cold
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed January 18, 2009

January 13, 2009. Two business colleagues and I had the opportunity to spend one night at the Detroit Marriott Troy hotel when business required us to be in the area. The hotel is on Big Beaver Road, about a quarter mile east of I75 in Troy. There is plenty of free parking in the parking structure behind the hotel or valet parking for a charge at the front entrance. This was my second stay at this hotel.

Check-in was very fast and we each received King rooms as guaranteed. My room was on the Concierge level # 1221. The rate was $169 per night, using the senior discount. Some of the photos accompanying this review were from a previous stay in room #1123.

My room, 1221, was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The bed was ultra comfortable and had Marriott’s Revive bedding, my favorite. Both feather and foam pillows were available. Lighting in the room was very good with lamps on both sides of the bed, on the desk, and a floor lamp. There are adjustable LED reading lamps on the bed which would be great if you were traveling with someone who wanted to sleep as you read. The work desk was large and the office-style chair functional and comfortable. My The room had a sofa and a comfortable arm chair.

Since my last stay, new LCD flat screen TV’s have been added. The TV was had a lot of cable channels as well as a wide selection of pay-per-view movies. I looked at some previews and costs per movie seemed to be between $12 and $15. High-speed Internet service had a charge of $9.95 per day. I used the broadband connection on my phone instead.

The bathroom was also newly refurbished. Lighting was good, the towels were plentiful, and the shower worked well – immediate hot water with plenty of pressure. Bath amenities include shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and mouthwash.

The concierge lounge is on the 12th floor. Like guest rooms it has been recently refurbished. The high tables and counters make it easy to use a laptop. There is complimentary wired internet service. I did not notice if there is Wi-Fi service or not. In the evening, the concierge lounge offered a hot appetizer, a variety of cheese and crackers, fruit and drinks. Wine at the honor bar was $4.00 per glass, very reasonable. The breakfast buffet featured scrambled eggs, hot oatmeal, and all the other things you would expect on a breakfast buffet.

The hotel public areas were clean and well-kept, but could use an updating to the style of the rooms.
The hotel has a large indoor swimming pool and hydrotherapy spa. Sliding doors open onto a patio with additional lounge chairs. Next to, and with windows looking onto the pool, is a very complete exercise room. All of the exercise equipment seemed nearly new. There is also a sauna and steam room accessible from the pool area.

There are many restaurants within a few minutes of the hotel as well as Shula’s Steakhouse within the hotel. I will stay at the Detroit Marriott Troy when in the area again. That is about the best recommendation that I can give!

• Liked — Very comfortable and newly renovated rooms
  • Disliked — Charge for internet service in rooms - should be complimentary in my opinion
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Michigan
Reviewed November 19, 2008

My wife and I stayed overnight at the Troy Marriott with our two daughters recently. At check-in, the front desk clerk was courteous but rather perfunctory. No doubles were available, so she offered us a king with a fold-out sofa. The sofa turned out to be about the size of a twin bed, with no bedding supplied in the room. It took two calls to Guest Services to have them bring up the bedding.

The room was clean and nicely decorated. It also had a large flat screen TV.

The pool was great as were the jacuzzi, steam room and dry sauna. The pool was also heated, which was nice in November! The workout room was well-equipped.

We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant. They had a decent buffet but we ordered from the menu. Our food was good - but the bacon was very crispy - like it had been sitting around for a long time.

All-in-all, a very pleasant visit. We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — The pool area and workout room. Also located near great shopping and restaurants.
  • Disliked — Service was off just a bit - perhaps because they had two large conferences in attendance.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed August 29, 2008

I stayed at this hotel while attending a proffesional seminar on august 20th. The hotel was quite beautiful in its decor both inside and out. The bed was extremely confortable. Room was very clean. Food in the hotel restaurant was very good.
Location was excellent near major highway and the xway. Only problem was that wireless was not free as one would expect at this price point.

• Liked — the comfort of the bed
  • Disliked — no free wireless
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We booked 2 nights at the Marriott Troy and got a great deal thorugh Priceline.com.

Arrived on a Friday night and hotel parking lot was very busy with an event. Check in was a breeze and we received a room with a queen bed on the 15th floor (1507). I was a bit displeased with the room location at first as it was right beside the elevators and across the hall from the ice machine. However, it wasn't a huge issue because as soon as we shut the door, the gentle hum of the air conditioner drowned out any exterior noises.

The king bed was a bit softer than my liking but still very comfortable and the heavy duvet was heavenly! The room also had a flat screen TV. Shower had plenty of hot water but pressure wasn't great. The bathroom light wasn't very bright and I found myself putting on the heat lamp for extra light.

The Bath and Bodyworks soaps and shampoos were fine but I'm wondering if they are just generic hotel brand products refilled into Bath and Bodyworks bottles because they didn't smell that fantastic.

The hotel pool and hot tub were also nice...the workout room looked pretty equiped and had a view of the pool area.

A few small gripes: The hotel did not have free coffee or tea in the lobby. Instead, they were selling Starbucks drip coffee at $2 per cup! We made coffee in our room but it would have just been easier if there was premade stuff in the lobby.

The "business center" is ONE computer right beside the front desk in the area where they sell snacks and the $2 coffee. For a hotel that caters to a business crowd, I was expecting at least a more private area and several computers.

Overall, an enjoyable stay and I would stay here again.

• Liked — Clean rooms, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — No free coffee in the lobby and the business center was a disaster.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Greatlocation for doing Troy, as this hotel is located right at the intersection of I-75 & Big Beaver. This is a high rise hotel that isn't new by any stretch, and does appear that it is ready for a makeover. Check in was smooth and efficient. My room was not large, but it certainly was comfortable despite having very dated decor. Bed was nice, and work area good with a comfortable sofa as well for relaxing. The bathroom was fine with the shower and toilet in a separate area to the sink, which makes getting ready much easier. Internet access was good however, I did balk at the $12.95 charge which also includes unlimited local calls (which I never used). Beds are comfortable and a USA Today was delivered to my room in the morning. Free Parking in the covered lot attached to the hotel provided easy access. Had lunch at the restaurant in the hotel (Don Shula's) - it was very good with good service. Nice large pool, and a very good workout area. Overall was pleased with this hotel and it will be even better once it gets a refresh one day.

• Liked — Good Location, Restaurant, Pool & Workout Facilities
  • Disliked — Ripoff charge ($12.95) for internet access
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Stayed four nights in connection with a convention event held at this hotel. Staff was extremely helpful, both in convention details and personal accomodations. My room was upgraded to a suite which included concierge services, much to my delight and surprise. The free breakfast in the Concierge Lounge was extensive and delicious. The bed was very comfortable, and room attendant was invisible but thoughtful with turned-down sheets and chocolates on the pillow. Shula's Steakhouse downstairs has excellent food. Try the Salmon if you aren't into red meats. Good wine list, too. Overall, I was very happy with all aspects of my stay.

• Liked — Excellent service and staff helpfulness.
  • Disliked — The 'Michigan Turns" you have to make to access the hotel and surrounding sites. "Can't get there from here!"
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business