“Drury Inn Next Time!”

Detroit Marriott Troy
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have never stayed in a hotel with so much elevator noise! Our first room was several rooms away from the elevator bank on the 14th floor and the noise kept me awake. The next day we moved to the 10th floor and all the way to the end of the hall. While it was not as bad, the noise still required ear plugs to sleep. Housekeeping in the hotel was extremely slow, and still not completed when we returned to our room at 3PM (having left the hotel at 9AM!). In the outside parking lot, my car was completely trashed from rotten berries falling off a tree. The hotel should have blocked those spots off. The guest rooms were on the small side and inconsistently furnished. A couch was missing from the first room and towels were inadequate for two persons. Next time I'm in Troy I will stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask about elevator noise when you check in. We were told the lower floors might be better. Avoid t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Silkboy, on behalf of our entire team at Detroit Marriott Troy, we sincerely apologize for all of the problems you experienced while visiting. We are so very sorry for any possible noise disturbance, the housekeeping issues, and obviously the irritation involved with your vehicle. Our general manager would very much like to speak with you about your stay and hopefully make this right with you. Should you be interested in speaking with her, please email thetroymarriott@marriott.com. We work diligently at our property to assure a positive experience for each and every one of our guests and I apologize that we fell short in your case. Thank you for staying with us an we hope you will visit again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Detroit Marriott Troy

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times so far this year, whilst I agree that this is a regular mid range hotel, it does have some of the best and most helpful staff I have come across in a long while. Whilst travelling on business I find it is the little things that add up, like fixing me food after a very late arrival, getting me places in the hotel shuttle, having a well equipped gym, fast wifi for a video call home, after 4 visits, the staff speaking to me by name. The best example was on my last visit, after breakfast in the lift to my room, the maintenance man got in the lift and asked me if I was having a great stay, I said yes, and he replied, 'just ask anyone with a Marriott badge anytime if you need anything, we all want to make your stay great', and it sounded like he meant it, not a line from a training course. On a previous visit, reception printed me a document I needed urgently and brought it to me in breakfast, no waiting.. My first visit to the hotel was a sales kick off in April for 160 people, again, really great service all round.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Greetings abusinesstraveler20! Thank you so very much for frequenting our property and for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Your words have been passed to our general manager and chief engineer so that your praise can be shared with our entire team. It's our pleasure as always to host you as our guest and we hope that you will return for many additional stays in the future. Thank you once again and we'll look forward to seeing you again soon. Safe travels from your friends in Troy.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night on October 16, 2013
I was given a room on the 4th floor with views of all the HVAC equipment. Everything about the room was average to poor. I have stayed in hotels that were half the price that were substantially better.
Certainly not worth $250/night!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Nicksam, we sincerely apologize that you were disappointed with your room. As is the case with most properties, our guest room views vary depending on the floor and facing direction of the room. Should you return to our property (which we hope that you will), please note upon check-in your request for a specific view and our hosts will make every attempt to offer you a more enjoyable vista. Thank you again for visiting and safe travels.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I've stayed at this Marriott twice in the past 2 months. The experience is consistent and the service is very good. This past visit, I was in a room near the elevators on the 14th floor. I wouldn't recommend being close to the elevators in this hotel. There seems to be above average mechanical noise and those who are light sleeps would like a room further down the hall.
The concierge lounge is nice and the staff in this lounge are very friendly and accommodating. They actually speak with you and ask how you are doing, which is nice and not typical.

Room Tip: stay away from elevators
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Hello Dan and thank you so much for writing your review. We appreciate your repeat business. While we love your reviews of our staff and the attentiveness of our concierge lounge team, we do sincerely apologize for the reported elevator noise. Please be sure to note this situation on your next arrival and our front desk will make ever attempt to assure you are placed in a different location pending guest room availability. Once again, we really do appreciate the review and will pass your words onto our general manager. We hope to see you soon and safe travels.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Love the hotel. Staff very responsive and friendly. Go out of their way to help. Rooms clean. Mostly quiet. Good rates. Good location. Stayed here with family visiting family. Good breakfast. Nice bar area.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Vinceo1, thank you so much for staying with us and for writing your review. We appreciate all of your kind words about our property and our team. We hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit from Chicago. We'll look forward to seeing you then. Thanks again and safe travels.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Very nice hotel, enjoyed our stay.

Allow me to hold up our front desk clerk as a good example for all clerks. He was friendly, courteous, and solicitous of our needs, and then went the extra mile for us: the hotel was overrun with conference attendees, and as we finished check-in, the line for the elevators was easily 20 people deep. We were beat after a 5 1/2 hour drive, so we asked him if there was a service elevator, and he whisked us straight to it and up to our room, and somehow made us believe it was no trouble at all.

The rooms were very fine, with good furniture in great condition. The room smelled clean and fresh. Everything was immaculate; couldn't have been cleaner.

There were no sheets on the sofa bed, but after one call to the front desk, housekeeping came up within minutes and made up the sofa bed. Classic good old-fashioned service.

The breakfast buffet offered a lot of variety, and everything we tried was great.

The neighborhood is full of shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Hello jt_home and thank you so very much for writing! Your kind words about our staff have been passed along to the appropriate departments and shared with our General Manager. Hopefully we will see you again soon. Travel safely!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Overall, this hotel is nice and I would stay here again!
Good location to restaurants, mall, and Starbucks. Free parking garage with easy access. I used check-in app on my phone and it make my check in experience a breeze.

1  Thank GFunk2fied

GFunk, thanks for taking the time to write your review. We're very excited to hear that you utilized our new mobile check-in feature. We're also happy to announce that this feature is now available at all 329 Marriott properties throughout the continental US and Canada. Thanks again for choosing us and we hope to see you again in the future.