All reviews the concierge lounge lobby bar somerset mall nice hotel full service bed was very comfortable the somerset collection big beaver road hockey tournament bit dated business trip easy access front desk staff fitness center free internet upon check up to date
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at the Detroit Marriott Troy on a recent Friday night during a shopping excursion to Somerset Mall. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay! The staff at check-in could not have been more pleasant and the lobby is very updated and stylishly decorated. Parking is free in an attached covered lot which was an added plus.

The room smelled fresh when we entered and felt very comfortable. Some minor improvements could be made, such as updating the art on the walls, but generally speaking it was nice. I encountered nothing to make me question it's cleanliness. There are multiple pillows on each bed of different sizes and firmness so there should be a satisfying choice available. But I have to say, the most enjoyable part of my stay was the shower! Perhaps one of the best showers I've taken in recent memory! It was a rainshower head which I typically find to provide absolutely no water pressure. But this one was an exception - amazing!

I did visit the pool area and enjoyed the hot tub as well. It was an attractive and very clean space and everything was in great working order. While I didn't use the attached workout room, there were many machines available and they appeared to be relatively new.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kiki620
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Kiki thank you for your wonderful review! We're so happy to hear that you were thrilled with our shower head - a critical part of any guest's stay! We appreciate all of your kind words and hope to see you again in the future. Thanks again and safe travels.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel for a business trip. My company paid for this trip.

Location

It is relatively easy to get to/from the hotel, it is on a main road but the roads here have these unusual turnarounds/U-turns with no lights at many of them, so you tend to sit at these to wait to make your u-turn. As for restaurants and shopping, you do need a car to get around, but there is a nice variety to choose from up and down the main road as well as an upscale mall with restaurants and a food court.

Room

I had room 1011 with 2 Queen beds. My King preference was not available.

The room was a nice size and very clean, housekeeping did a great job every day.

The bed was extremely soft and comfortable. I had requested extra pillow, feather preferably, and they were in the room when I arrived.

The sink area was adequate with a fair amount of room around the sink area for makeup bags, etc. The sink is outside the room with the shower/commode. The lighting is just okay for putting on makeup. Plenty of towels were available in all sizes.

There is a large tv with the basic channels. A nice size desk for working. Wireless internet was easy to hook up and worked perfectly every day.

The hvac was very quiet.

Check In

There were a few people at the front desks. Check-in and check-out were easy, no lines.

Hotel Staff

The hotel staff were all very pleasant and helpful, but due to the weather (snow) I was in boots and jeans a lot in the evening (even though I was here on business) and I got the impression each night that I was being questioned (in a subtle way) if I was a guest of the hotel before they would assist me. At one point when I was printing my boarding pass (on the slowest computer known to man) that I was being watched and checked up on.

Parking

There is a little parking in the front, off to the side of the hotel that is not covered, but there are several levels of covered parking spaces in the back of the hotel with an elevator that takes you to the lobby. I found it easy to run outside and turn my car on to warm up and then stand in the lobby with my coffee for a few minutes. The garage is not well lit but it felt safe to me. It is a little slippery when it's raining or snowing as it is all on inclines and declines.

Lobby/Restaurants/Bar/Room Service

The lobby is large and up to date. The bar is in the middle of the lobby and was busy and loud every night I was there.

I pre-ordered room service on 2 mornings by leaving the card outside the door the night before. Both mornings my breakfast was delivered on time, correctly and was quite good. Everything was hot.

The restaurant/bar has excellent food as well. I ordered a chicken sandwich and a salad and everything was fresh, flavorful and good portions.

GPS/Cell Phone/Internet

My gps worked fine getting around the entire area. Cell phone service was perfect everywhere in the hotel. Hotel wireless internet was perfect, never dropped service over the 3 days I was there. They do have a laptop for use and a printer, as well as the dedicated boarding pass computer/printer, but the computer is super super slow. You will have a birthday getting to your airline website for your boarding pass to print out.

Gym/Pool

I used the gym one evening around 7 pm. It was busy, but they have 4 or 5 treadmills (not the best but good enough) and a number of other bikes, ellipticals, etc. They have a separate room with weight equipment. The pool is beyond the gym and looked nice and clean.

Overall I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again if in the area.

3  Thank VaBelle35
Ami W, Public Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott Troy, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

VaBelle35, thank you for staying at our property and for taking the time to write such a thorough review for other travelers. We appreciate your comments on everything and look forward to your next visit. Thank again.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Troy Marriott is located right off I-75, along one of the principal shopping and commercial corridors in Troy. Troy is a relatively upscale suburb on the far north side of Detroit, close to Auburn Hills (Chrysler HQ, and the Palace at Auburn Hills for Pistons games and concerts). The hotel is close to two large, high-end shopping malls, which also means it is close to a large number and variety of restaurants. Despite its proximity to two busy highways, the hotel itself was quiet and peaceful. I did not hear a sound all night. Free parking is available in an attached garage on in surface lots. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The public spaces and rooms themselves were clean and comfortable. The room was furnished with relatively standard Marriott furniture, with adequate workspace, a nice sitting area with sofa, comfortable bed, and plenty of outlets (including two on the nightstand, which makes using your smartphone for an alarm clock really convenient). The concierge club was small, but it had the basics.

Overall this is a good choice if you have business in Troy or Auburn Hills (or anywhere on the northern fringes of Detroit) or are in transit and just passing through the Detroit area. Due to its distance from downtown Detroit, you would not want to stay here if your meetings or other business are downtown or are in Dearborn.

2  Thank Wedgewood

Wedgewood, thank you very much for your review of our property. We appreciate all of your compliments and look forward to seeing you again,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've stayed at a number of Marriotts and this did not meet the normal expectations. The lobby and entrance was very nice and with a comfortable bar area in the lobby. The downside to the hotel was the musky smell lingering in the room, uncomfortable bed & pillows, & poor shower attachment (minor personal preference). The air was on so not sure if it was a lack of circulation. The pillows did not keep their shape and had to readjust various times throughout the nights. They use a rain showerhead with no additional settings on a wall mount that did not make sense to me; a lot of water was shooting towards the curtains and wall. This was minor issue and more personal preference than a problem of the hotel itself.

The last annoyance was the high priced continental breakfast.

2  Thank diguan

Diguan, we are very sorry to hear about your disappointment with our property. It is our priority to assure a positive experience for all of our guests and we are very sorry to have fallen short. We hope that you will in fact return and that we will better meet your expectations as a traveler.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Great stay on business. Standard Marriott room but with benefit of having superb staff plus a great restaurant and bar. Staff was even better than 'usual' good or even great to be expected at Marriott properties. Jeffery was the MOD when we checked in. Would recommend the swordfish at the restaurant. Will stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank spjoneSi

SpjoneSi, thank you for taking the time to review our property. Jeffery is a wonderful manager on duty and an important part of our front desk team. We're thrilled you loved the swordfish and will return again! We hope to exceed expectations on your next visit. Thanks again for visiting.