All reviewsthe concierge loungelobby barsomerset mallnice hotelfull servicebed was very comfortablethe somerset collectionbig beaver roadhockey tournamentbusiness tripeasy accessfront desk stafffitness centerfree internetupon checkup to datecoffee maker
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I hacve stayed in many Marriott hotels in the UK. They tend to be of good standard and higher end accomodation. I am not sure if the same is expected of the Marriots in the US as this was my first. The hotel was fairly tired in the rooms, old fashioned and in need of a refurbishment.

I had breakfast in a restaurant downstairs, I am not sure if this is the only place to get breakfast but I opted for the Buffet breakfast. The standard was pretty poor, especially for a Marriott, where again in the UK I've enjoyed some very good breakfasts. You also pay a fairly high price for the buffet, I believe mine was $20 plus tip.

The lifts are also noisey, you can hear them when trying to sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 8338y
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have stayed at many different Marriott owned properties in the Troy area. This one is the best of the lot, but it still has areas that need to be improved.

The pool is in pretty dire need of renovation.

The rooms next to elevators hear them go up and down through the night - enough to affect my sleeping. According to the front desk, this is a known issue.

Concierge staff is always top shelf.

The rooms themselves are clean and comfortable. Wifi access can be spotty depending on what room.

I wish the television channel selection was better -- this is the Motor City, so how about more auto-themed channels?

Room Tip: You want to have a room away from the elevator - otherwise I hope you can deal with the noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kennedyjd
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

When you stay at a Marriott you expect more, but not at this location. This property is located in the heart of Troy on Big Beaver Road.....great location to Somerset Collection. Services is average, attitude all around. Rooms look semi-remodeled but bathrooms still are a disaster. Restaurant is a mess, got seated with food all over the floor.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Akhil C
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Thank you to all the staff at the Troy Marriott. This is an exceptional Marriott. One of the cleanest hotels I have ever been in. The morning Natasha takes care of the lounge as if it were her own home!!! (Did not use lounge in evening). The front staff made sure we were comfortable. Housekeeping keeps the entire hotel spic and span. The beds are your typical Marriott beds - great! Free covered parking. Easy on - off to parkway and 5 minutes from Somerset Mall. All at a very reasonable price. This will be my go to hotel when we are in Detroit.

Room Tip: Asked for room away from elevator and motors - wish was granted.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bizplan
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at the Marriott from November 15 - 17 for a shopping excursion. Check-in was quick and friendly. Room was clean and hotel was spotless. Breakfast buffet was very good, especially the quiche. The only problem was the next day the quiche was not on the menu:( You could order off the menu or choose the buffet including in our package. Very close to Somerset Mall, Nordstrom Rack, Loehmans and Nordstrom Rack. Bahama Breeze just down the street. Hotel offered happy hour and had excellent wings. What impressed me most was the friendliness of staff. Everyone from the servers, workers and wait staff went out of our way to be helpful and friendly. Looking forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: Higher floor (16th floor) was a bit warm.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple