“Skip it, not worth the cost!”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 284 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Big Beaver and Crooks
Description: We are the premier fondue restaurant where guests can enjoy a choice of fondue cooking styles and a variety of unique entrees, salads and indulgent desserts. It's up to you. Tailor your visit with a four-course dining experience including cheese fondue, salad, entree and dessert. Or, come by for fondue cheese paired with that perfect glass of wine from our extensive selection. That's not to say, we haven't had more than a few stop by to satisfy that chocolate craving after a movie.
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We recently went to the Melting Pot in Troy to celebrate my first wedding anniversary.i Overall the food was lackluster and the service was much less than what you would expect for a place where you pay around $100 per couple. We went with another couple and were informed that we would all have to agree on the same cheese, chocolate, and cooking options as we had one pot for the table. We waited almost 30 minutes to even order our drinks and the server seemed to take forever in between courses. We were eating with a couple with glueten allergies and the server told them she knew how to take care of them in relation to their needs and actually had no clue and at one point admitted that after she has no knowledge of their restrictions. For the price it is definitely not worth going again.

1  Thank CrisMM

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We went last night to celebrate several events - this was the request of my daughter. I won't ever go back unless someone else wants to... the service was impeccable. The concept is kind of fun. The food was really only mediocre. For the high price, I expect more. We had 2 different cheese fondu pots - one was the cheddar mix & it was ok, the other was the Wisconsin blend & tasted more like bleu cheese than anything. The bread bits were really stale, the blanched veggies were a tiny portion. The salads were tasty but drowning in dressing. Get that on the side. We had a milk chocolate/white chocolate for dessert - for me, all that matters is the fruit - seriously, who likes marshmellows dipped in chocolate? They could forget the pound cake, rice krispie treats, cheesecake, brownies & marshmellows & just bring more fruit - more than just strawberries & bananas. The end cost (2 of us had the 3 course, 2 had a couples 4 course) was close to $200. We could easily have had more & better food for a couple meals for all of us.

2  Thank dalrutz
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We walked in for a late lunch with no reservation and did not have to wait long for a table. We were newbies to the whole fondue experience and the waiter was fantastic about walking us through it and explaining everything along the way. They had a deal going where you could get 3 courses, so we went with it. The cheese course (Swiss fondue) was delicious, and the waiter was happy to bring us more bread and veggies to dip when we ran out. The entree course, while delicious, worried me a bit. They bring you a plate of raw beef, chicken and shrimp which you place into a pot of simmering broth to cook. I didn't feel good about the four of us all dipping raw meats into the pot at various times as I worried that someone adding raw chicken right before someone else remove something from the pot might be a health hazzard. None of us were ill afterward so I guess this isn't an issue. The dessert course was the star of the show for us. We ordered the 'Turtle' fondue and were given a plate with a wide variety of treats to dip into the pecan laden chocolate. It was wonderful! We wouldn't go back for this meal at full price, but may return for future 'deals'.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

everything that could did. Met some friends after work. Met in the bar, let them know that we were waiting on some other people. Once everyone arrived, sorry but we don't have any tables available for the size of your party. If you wait in the bar area, we'll work on setting something up. A ploy to get us to have more drinks? Looked in the dining room and saw several open tables. Asked the maitre de and was told that they were reserved. 1/2 hour later we were seated and it was quickly clear that the waitstaff were not sure of who was handling our table. There were either 2-3 waitstaff coming over or long periods where there wasn't anyone available. Food was, in general, OK. The confusion and wait really deterred from the experience. What set out to be a fun night with fun people was spent discussing the issues with the restaurant.

1  Thank ted s
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have been wanting to go to a fondue restaurant since I visited one in Royal Oak years ago (now closed). This was a slightly disappointing visit due to many little things. These little things probably wouldn't ordinarily phase me, but when you are spending $100 for two people you expect a little more.

The disappointments:
- The hostess brought us to a table that wasn't wiped down. She said it was just water. We weren't quite sure that was what it was. Regardless, it sucks to be sitting at a table waiting for the hostess to return to wipe it. To her credit she did apologize.
- The tables are made with floor tiles. Our table had uneven tiles and you could see the uneven grout with old food in it (think about it, people eating food on an old tiled surface). Plus the plates were tipped. We were in an awkward corner booth due to no reservation so perhaps not all of the tables are this way.
- The hostess put us in the corner that was very awkward. She was apologizing for doing so because nothing else was available. Honestly rather than basically saying "hey I'm sorry for sitting you in this crappy table" I'd like the choice of waiting longer for a regular table.
- I couldn't cross my legs under the table. Not sure if this is due to the crappy table we were seated at but it annoyed me all night.
- One plate was chipped, not a huge deal. But the veggies were brought in a cup that had a large crack that opened up all the way to the bottom - not very sanitary.
- The chocolate was just chocolate syrup instead of actual melted chocolate. It was still good, but I guess I was expecting something different - perhaps it isn't advisable to actually melt good chocolate? This was like something you would get at a Dairy Queen.
- My husbands coffee cup had something that looked like a little hair in it.
- The pan the broth was cooked in had what looked like old food stains in it (brownish residue).
- Booths were rather uncomfortable. Seemed outdated.
- Sauces that were brought to the table were apparently under a heat lamp a bit because there was a slight dried out coating on them.
- Wine glass seemed dirty.

The good stuff:
- The waiter! Although at times he disappeared for too long after telling us he'd be right back to refill coffee or bring food, his enthusiasm and friendliness more than made up for it. It was our anniversary and he brought over champagne (or maybe it was some other sparkling wine of some sort). This was a nice touch.
- The quality of the dippers for desert seemed good.
- Nice presentation.
- The main course was good. No issue with the food quality there.
- The coffee was great.
- I recommend the Caesar salad.
- We didn't have reservations and at the wait time of 20 minutes was accurate (I think we were seated in about 15 minutes).

In short, there are so many AWESOME restaurants in the area so we will definitely not be back here. This was disappointing. There are just better places to spend your money.

Been to The Melting Pot? Share your experiences!