“Delicious but expensive”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2018

Our family of four dined at Mon Jin Lau while staying in Troy Michigan. The food was delicious. The Crab Rangoon was about the best I have ever had. The chicken was very moist and tender. We really enjoyed the meal, but felt it was too expensive. We had four chicken entrees, one order off Crab Rangoon, one other $5 side, and a bowl of rice and our total with the 20% gratuity that they added on was $104.

Personally I am always irritated when a restaurant feels they can add the tip and expect you to pay it. The amount of the tip should be left up to the customer. After all, it is the diner showing their recognition for the service they received. They did make a point to tell me they had added it; however, I have to wonder how many people add additional tip without realizing it. Our group only had 8 adults...

1  Thank Ann B

Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

Large restaurant with large menu and sushi selections
Exceptional server-Tammy. Very attentive. Selections are all alacarte - even rice and tea food was flavorful but overpriced.

Reviewed June 3, 2018

My friend and I have been trying to make time to get here. We are so glad we finally did. We came later on a Saturday and the parking lot was packed, which is a good sign. To our surprise we were seated immediately. We were seated in the bar area at a table. The service was very good from Tammy. It was very loud in the entire restaurant. We shared the Po Po platter which was a variety of appetizers, they have many to choose from so a combo platter was a great way to go. Everything on the platter was very good: crab cheese, beef skewer, egg roll, ribs, and a fried shrimp.

I ordered the Kilbi which was amazing. It is a Korean style short rib. My friend tried it and thought it was so good she placed an order for the exact same thing to go. We also shared a white chocolate topped cake for dessert. It was good, but I've had better. They also have a huge selection of desserts.

I will definitely be going back to Mon Jin Lau soon. Lucky for me I can make it a stop on my way home from work.

1  Thank Scorecard
Reviewed May 18, 2018 via mobile

10 of us have a wonderful dinner last night at Mon Jin Lau. I don't know why we haven't been back there but I'm sure glad we tried it.

Around the table every single person was so thrilled with her food. One even remarked that her almond boneless chicken was the best she had ever tried.

They also have a terrific happy hour that we are going to go back and visit. Even though the drinks are limited to specific martinis and asian beer it's worth the trip because there are so many great appetizers that are also included.

I had the Thai Bay Boat scallops in Thai curry sauce with vegetables & could have licked the bowl. A friend also got it agreed that it was wonderful.

We'll definitely be going back. Don't be afraid that the prices are a little bit higher because the portions and the results are worth every penny.

Reviewed April 30, 2018 via mobile

The menu gets a 5 for taste, variety, & portions. Service was prompt friendly & professional. Our server, May, was amazing & even took time to show us how to use chop sticks. She was very attentive to our needs & we never had to ask twice for anything. Wonderful atmosphere with white tablecloth dining.

1  Thank roadrunner042113

Been to Mon Jin Lau Restaurant? Share your experiences!