“Delightful way to celebrate a special occasion”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 278 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 16 Mile Road & Coolidge
Michigan
“Delightful way to celebrate a special occasion”
Reviewed September 1, 2014

Today is my husband and my wedding anniversary so we went out to dinner. We had never been to Capital Grille although we have lived within 10 minutes of the restaurant for 20 years. I like choosing restaurants by reviews on tripadvisor so when I saw it was #1 I thought we would give it a go. Here are our findings:
1) They take reservations and they ask if it is a special occasion so they can make the experience extra special for you. There were rose petals spread over the table, a handwritten note wishing us a happy anniversary, and a special surprise dessert.
2) Our waiter Forrest was very professional as was the bus man assigned to our table. Great service throughout the night. I noticed when our dinner was ready, another person brought it to us so it as a "team" approach they took at times so nothing sat getting cold.
3) The bread basket was delicious with an unusual assortment of many homemade breads.
4) After receiving our beverages (a glass of wine and a beer... my husband loved his IPA), we started with a very unique calamari prepared with peppers and jalapenos that we enjoyed, followed by a bowl of lobster bisque we shared.
5) For dinner my husband got the seared sesame tuna (rare) which he said he would order again, except the three sauces it came with were all a bit sweet and he would have liked them to be much more different from each other. Forrest offered to hand make raw wasabi which took just a few minutes and it was great (Pete's eyes were watering which says it is nice and hot)! I got the filet rare prepared "oscar" style with crab and Bearnaise sauce which was tender and melted in my mouth.
Note: We both really enjoyed our dinners but I would comment that they were very large so if you wanted to treat yourself to this rather pricey dinner out more than just on special occasions, you could easily share a dinner and an appetizer and you would not leave hungry.
6) When dinner was over Forrest brought us a beautiful anniversary dessert with two candles and it was a nice way to finish the night. Total cost not including tip was $147.

• Visited September 2014
3 Thank JennyPeter

Toronto, ON
“Ah-mazing first class service”
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Our experience at the Capital Grille in Troy was a bench mark for excellent service. This restaurant upholds the finest qualities of fine dining and the traditions of old school Detroit steakhouses from the heyday of the City. From the minute we arrived, we were treated amazingly well. Free valet parking by very friendly and hard working staff. Then the hostess overheard me lamenting that it took longer to get there than I thought so I would not have time to head to make a special purchase in the adjourning mall. She immediately moved our reservation by half an hour and warmly welcomed us back after my spending spree. Upon returning we were quickly seated and met the best part of the evening, our server - Jody B. I could run down any number of examples to demonstrate how pleasant, enthusiastic, attentive, knowledgeable and down right fun Jody was but I would run out of space. I will say that she is an example of someone who truly loves their job, does their job very very well, takes service very seriously and is an absolute asset for Capital Grille. Beyond Jody, it was the small touches that really made this restaurant stand out. For example, when one of our meals didn't come cooked as ordered (it happens), Jody immediately removed them, the manager attended our table, and all the sides and the other meal was removed as well. Fresh new sides were brought with our perfectly cooked second orders all in a matter of minutes. Finally, we had signed up for some sort of draw and, a week or so after returning home, we found a letter from Jody thanking us for eating with them. I know I am focusing on the service but the food was incredible and the wine cellar first rate. We had the lobster and crab cakes as an appetizer that appeared to contain an entire lobster tail. The caesar salad was one of the best I have had (and i am picky about caesars) we both had steak - excellent cuts and the Kona rub is really a delicious and interesting option. I cannot recommend this restaurant enough. I was so blown away by our experience, I have looked up their other locations and am making reservations in another city for a future vacation. Quite honestly though, I would happily return to Troy just to have dinner at this restaurant again.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Gypsy.
Eastpointe
“Pampered”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Joi was our server during restaurant week on Tuesday . She blew our mind. Impeccable service, professional and polite. Thanks for treating us like gold. Felt nice to be pampered being in the same industry, instead of us taking care of guests all the time.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Shawni77
Rochester, Michigan
“"Well done"”
Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

I have visited this location several times and have been very happy with the food quality, wine verity and of course the service.
Easy to get in and out of and always busy. The mall location makes it difficult to get in at the last minute but always worth planning ahead and dining there. Well done!

Visited May 2014
Troy, Michigan
“Night out”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We went there for Troy Restaurant Week to taste test. The food and service were excellent. The portions were like the regular dinners. At $35 per person, It's not cheap but it was worth it. The Caesars - excellent. The steaks were tender and flavorful. Make sure you save room for dessert.

• Visited August 2014