“Hard to believe its a chain...”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 276 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 16 Mile Road & Coolidge
New York City, New York
“Hard to believe its a chain...”
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

The truth is this review is a few years overdue but we recently discovered the app which won't let you go back more than a year. Regardless, we had such a good experience that I can still tell you what we ate, drank and what our waiters name was. The food, ambiance, and service were all top notch. I totally thought it was a one of a kind until I saw another one on a trip to Jacksonville FL. Yes we ate at the one in Jacksonville and ordered just about the same items but the experience wasn't as good as the one in Michigan. Admittedly, it holds a certain sentimental value for my wife and I, but the exuberantly positive remarks above we're all earned. I would highly recommend it.

Michigan
“Best place in Detroit”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Consistently great, always superb food sometimes annoying service but bar is fun, great bartenders. They sat my husband and I in a busy aisle where people were loudly talking on cell phones. This was after we told them it was our anniversary. I was a wimp and accepted the crummy table-my husband responded by greeting every single person that walked by us all night because as he noted they had to walk by our table, frequently bumping into it, to get to the good tables. And the 'buddy' system wait staff THREW keys to the wine lockers over our table, I'm thinking mgmt was off that night. Having said all that- I still maintain that aside from Oakland Hills CC, it's the best kitchen in the Detroit area. You just have to be firm on the seating.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank KJDbiz1
Sterling Heights, MI
“Great food”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Like all the Capital Grilles, this has great food and great service. It's in Somerset Mall on the NORTH side of Big Beaver (also known as 16 Mile, Metro Parkway, and Quarton Road, depending upon what part of the Detroit area you're coming from). There's valet parking or you can park in the general mall lot. There's also a deck in the back of the mall.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank professordoctormom
Detroit, Michigan
“High end, great food, awesome service, $$$$$”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Lobster bisque is fantastic. All the food his high end. Watch out for the Stoli Doli's... they will knock you flat out if you have more than 2! Service top notch.

Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exppectations too high....?”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Perhaps we have had high expectations, but the place is very well known and recommended....

We had reservations at 8pm. We arrived a little before and only had to wait for 15 minutes. We had the choice of nice wines per glass, about $10 each.
At the table we were greeted by a nice and knowledgable waitress. The menu had a nice variety of traditional dishes, but a very well variety of wines. Actually that was a great wine list!

First course was the shrimp cocktail. With a shrimp cocktail I think of shrimps within a glass or bowl with some lettuce, cocktail sauce, and hopefully some surprising variances to the subject.
I did not expect a plate with crushed ice, 5 giant black tiger prawns, a bowl of spicy tomato salsa and two leaves of lettuce. Perhaps that's my European background. The prawns were of very good quality, but you don't taste a bit of that with that spicy to tomato salsa?!

Second course, she had a salad and I had the clam chowder. The salad was not bad, but not very special. Tthe clam chowder was disappointing. I didn't expect potatoes in a fish soup.

Main course, she had the shrimp stuffed with lobster and crab and I the lamb chops.
The fish was not that flavorful, it should be fried, but tasted more like boiled fish.
The lamb chops were of good quality however they had two bones on one piece of meat. I think that a chef should pay attention to the individual pieces of meat instead of making one big piece of meat out of it.
Also the side dish (potato au gratin) tasted like it came from a musty old basement.
However the creamed spinach was delicious!!

We ordered a nice Italian Barolo, but the wine which came to the table was of a different year then the wine of the menu. I was disappointed thatwe had to confront the waitress instead of her telling us...!?

Coffee and dessert where fine, but the bill is $300 ++

To us that was the biggest disappointment, we don't mind spending money on wining and dining, but then we expect it to be worth it.

As a final note, we were very disturbed upon arriving home. Both of our outfits smelled like we had been sitting in a greasy kitchen! Thank goodness I changed out of my suit prior to going to dinner!

Will not be revisited anytime time soon....

• Visited January 2013

Been to The Capital Grille? Share your experiences!