“Good and bad, but not worth the money!”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 280 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Crooks and I75
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Let me justify by saying I've worked in food service for over 8 years, everything from burger joints to middle class dining. I love to cook and try just about every food I ever have the chance to. The food was not inedible, but for the price and hype I had for this place it was definitely not worth it. I may have made the mistake with ordering the ribeye, but I was hungry and wanted something over 10oz. The bread wasn't anything to write home about, the filet mignon was reported as good by others, the sweet potato casserole was the best, and the rest was par. The service at this price point should be nearly flawless, instead it was pretty slow and we had about 10 different staff visit our party of 6. It took about 7 staff members to just bring out the food....in random order....at random times. I ordered my steak Oscar style and got my asparagus and crab cake topped with a bearnaise on the side well after my steak. They cooked the steaks properly which was great. The concept here is simple: the meat is the star and is to be seared to perfection and lightly seasoned. i.e. salt and pepper and butter. The butter ends up imparting a burnt flavor due to the hot plates the steaks are served on. Not sure if they didn't use clarified butter or what.

All in all I was mildly disappointed as I had pretty high hopes for the price and namesake. I would never pick this restaurant again as I know too many places with significantly better food. Expect to drop between $60-$100+ per person depending on what you order and drinks etc. Then expect to get a mediocre cut of meat and some decent sides. I'd rather go to Texas roadhouse or Luckys!

1  Thank cook1040
There are newer reviews for Ruth's Chris Steak House

Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is the best Ruths Chris I've ever been to and I've been to 6 different locations. Keep up the great work! Excellent service and excellent food, always. The last time I went I was told reservations were 3 hours and I could wait in line which would be 90 minutes. Went in and was seated immediately. BRAVO.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Whenever we want good drinks and excellent steak, we always go to Ruth's Chris. The location in Troy has never let use down for great service and steak that melts in your mouth. Quiet atmosphere perfect for a romantic dinner or just a quiet night out. We have also used their services to have a larger gathering at the restaurant and they did not let us down. Excellent! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to come back.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Very pricey, no doubt about that. The service is great!, our waitress was very attentive. They give you these huge wine glasses but hardly any wine! The decor was not exactly attractive, kind of too modern.
This is definitely a place for business dinners, or very special occasions, because who could afford this?
Won't be back at these prices but I will say the food was great!

2  Thank travelchick2
Reviewed January 20, 2013

First experience at a Ruth's Chris was very pleasant. The cut of my ribeye wasn't the best I've ever had, however it was cooked perfectly. The service was great though. The hostess was very friendly, our server was very nice, and our water glasses were never less than half full. One thing that I was a little surprised at was the decor. It looks like a convention room of a hotel. Pretty boring inside. Overall it was a good experience and I would go back.