“Good Dim Sum”

East Lake Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #117 of 295 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We discovered this dim sum place on our last trip to Birch Run. My parents were craving some dim sum and stumbled upon this place. The food was pretty good so we decided to go back this time. This time around, we went on a weekday and you can tell the food wasn't as fresh. The food is pushed around in carts so by the time you get it, it's not fresh anymore. But since it was a weekday, we ordered some dishes that weren't being pushed around. My mom really liked their chives and shrimp dumpling. She said it reminded her of being in China, it was that good and authentic! When you slice it open, you are hit with the delicious smell of chives. The tea itself didn't taste very good though, it was very dark. This restaurant is big, maybe too big. There is a Korean grocery store right across the street for those looking to get some asian groceries. There's not much else in that plaza.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

The food is decent. The Dim Sum is pretty good, but don't expect good service because that doesn't exist at this place. Customers are not valued there. We had a party about 20 people served family style. We ordered about 15 dishes and when we looked at our bill at the end of the night, they charged us for extra rice. That is pathetic to charge for extra rice. The owner looked at me when I questioned it as if I was trying to get away without paying for half the bill or something. That is the first restaurant that has ever charged me or anyone I know for extra rice. Since then, I haven't been back nor do I recommend this place. If someone does mention this place, I make sure to tell them about that greedy charge that was on my bill. Keep your rice.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Sundays and holidays are very busy here, arrive by 11:30. But the choices are very good, and wait staff helpful if harried. Ask for the picture menu to help you along. Prices are quite reasonable. Very popular with the local Asian population of which we are not members.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Rating of 4.5 out of 5 for dim sum. If you are looking for straight up authentic Chinese food, you can't do much better than East Lake! While my very favorites are the carts of dim sum meandering throughout the dining area, the other menu offerings are very good as well. First the dim sum here is like dim sum in a common Shanghai eatery. Although located on the corner of 2 major thoroughfares (Rochester Road and 18 Mile) the majority dining at East Lake are asian so that should tell you how authentic the food is here. Second, many menu items are also very good - my favorite is the flash fried whole snapper. The ambiance of the restaurant is pretty much none existent -- the space is purely an area to seat guests who want to eat very good Chinese food. You're coming here to eat authentic Chinese food in a less-Americanized venue in the heart of American suburbia.

2  Thank Enjoythejourney777
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great dimsum, extremely authentic Chinese food. I've been coming here since I was a small kid, and it used to be a pretty busy restaurant. It's not very busy anymore, but the restaurant itself is very pretty. There is a cloudy blue sky ceiling and a big chandelier. The dinner is great, but it was better before, as they put less and less meat and more vegetables in their stirfry. Nice place overall, would recommend for Chinese food lovers!