“Brief but good stay at the Homewood Suites in Troy”

Homewood Suites Detroit Troy
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I recently stayed here for one night on business and it was the first time staying at this hotel. The check-in was quick and efficient and the staff friendly. The hotel itself is larger than it looks from the outside and it was quite the walk to get to my room. The room was nicely laid out and was clean. The breakfast was was good and even had some options that I have never seen before in a hotel (steamed rice, seaweed, kimchi). Apparently, there are some Korean corporations nearby and many of their guests are from Korea. The fitness facilities seemed to have a variety of options but I did not get a chance to use them. Nearby there are a variety of restaurants and stores for shopping. This is a very convenient location. In you are in the Troy area, this would be a good place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed July 8, 2014

A friend and I took the boys to this hotel as a special get away. The suite gave us all room to enjoy. The pool had others swimming that were friendly and made it even more fun. Breakfast saved us from hungry stomachs.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The Homewood Suite property is the best I have ever stayed. This last trip in June was my fourth stay and I must say that from check in to check out everyone at the Homewood Suites staff get a A plus with service and friendliness.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed June 28, 2014

The florescent lights, the toilet, the full size fridge & air conditioning units all make excessive noise.
The good news is that they offer above average everything else. Overall a great experience.
We recommend it.

Room Tip: Recommended!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My check in was quick and cordial. The hotel was clean, quiet, and well maintained. Since my conference was at a different hotel, I was not at the Homewood much, but I did grab a yogurt/juice in the morning before heading out. The breakfast area was normal for a Homewood, and the breakfast staff was friendly. I also used the fitness center treadmills, and they were good. The location was convenient to fast food, restaurants, and I75. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2014

- very nice staff (everybody)
- breakfast selection contains unsweetened oatmeal/ semolina/ etc, fresh fruit, and yoghurt (incl Activia - my favorite) so it is good if you want to eat healthy/ fit; However, after 2 weeks I was craving for something different, so I would skip breakfast from time to time and eat elsewhere
- large rooms with kitchenette/ fridge, very comfortable for extended stays (i have been there for 3,5weeks)
- dinners in the evening, although i have only had something twice, usually salad, but it is a good option, considering that the hotel does not have a restaurant
- small shop in the hotel, although Walmart is just 100m away
- large parking area
- gym - basic (a weight bar would be a good addition), but sufficient for 3-4 people being in the same room at once (it was getting "crowded" from time to time)
- swimming pool, although small and usually full of screaming kids :)
- just few miles off I75, so a good commute to Detroit downtown (unless there is traffic)
- good selection of TV channels, although only in English/ Spanish/ Korean. No European channels though :(
However:
- as a European i am not used to having carpets everywhere, there were not always clean on the corridors and in elevators and staircases, it is something I guess one needs to get used to
- the hotel needs maybe a bit of renovation, sometimes you could smell something mouldy in the staircase and in the room
- the dry cleaning service is fast, but t some of my clothes lost color (especially white)
- it happened that housekeeping left used paper towels or used dishwasher powder box in my room on the table

Overall I was happy with the stay, just being there too long can be a bit monotonous.

Room Tip: If kids' noise disturbs you, try to get a room that does not face the courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AMK2552
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The staff at this hotel were great. Breakfast was fine, while I did not eat the nightly dinner, I did have a glass of wine and that was nice. One problem was the room I was given had a musty, moldy smell.

The other problem--and this is a big one, was that the elevator was down for one entire day, Why couldn't I just use the steps you may ask? Well, it took quite a while to find the steps. In fact, I went down a hallway and back, then down another and back trying to find the steps. I was all turned around when two men asked if I knew where the steps were. Turns out they were the guys working on the elevator. So, what would happen if there was a fire? I can only imagine pure chaos. If I couldn't find a way downstairs and to an exit in pure daylight, what would happen in darkness and smoke? I know this is a worst case scenario but it had me a little worried. I even checked the window from my second floor room and, nope, couldn't have gotten out that way either unless I was able to break the window.

Something to consider.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank kfitz84
HomewoodSuitesTroy, General Manager at Homewood Suites Detroit Troy, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Hello,

We apologize for the very unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. Our guests’ health and safety is very important to us and is always a focal point of our property operations. We appreciate that you brought this to our attention and are working to make sure the problem is addressed. We’re also sorry for the bad smell you experienced during your stay. We understand that travel is very important and try to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We hope you will consider staying with us In the future.

Melissa