“The worst hotel ever!”

and 1 more site!
The Met Troy
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I was sent to this hotel by expedia.com in their "unnamed" three-and-a-half star special at 40% off. HUGE mistake. The building is shaped like a horseshoe and i was sent to park in the back to be closer to my room. The back was dark and secluded and SO creepy! My room had no ventilation and became humid and smelly after a shower, and got danker and smellier the longer we stayed. Housekeeping came ONCE during a four-night stay despite the fact that I went to the front desk and specifically asked for housekeeping to be sent. My phone had a tone, but did not dial out, even to the front desk. My daughter said it felt like we were in The Shining. It did. The towels were very frayed and the bathroom light switch was caked in black grime. The pool, sauna and free breakfast were nice but did not come close to redeeming the awful room and lack of service. I will never stay here again. I felt Expedia.com completely misled me with the three-and-half stars. I've stayed at two-star motels that were better than this.

Room Tip: Don't use the "unnamed hotel" system on Expedia.com!!! Avoid the MET/Troy at all costs...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lenorelook
There are newer reviews for The Met Troy

Reviewed August 11, 2012

On Aug 4, 2012 I stayed at the MET hotel in Troy, MI. I had purchased the hotel on a website called Ho#%wi$e thinking that I was paying for a 3 star hotel. Before going I had read some of the review of the hotel and was thinking how bad could it be? I have travelled to many countries and stayed in many hostels and 2 star hotesl in my life and I| think I could handle these lower end establishments.
Check-in was handled by a young lady that seemed pleasant. When I asked what restaurants were in the neighbourhood, the response was" I dont' live in this ara so i dont what type of restaurants are close by". The room had a Tube tv with approx 15 channels and did not have either a pen or a note pad for me to use for phone calls. The bathroom was functional, but the wallpaper was peeling and the lighting was poor. The hotel is a large property, unfortunately i was placed in a section of rooms next to a group of wedding guests. During the evening (2:30 am), their loud conversations kept me up as the hall-way had an echo and thin walls.
Either way, this was not a 3 star hotel. If I was told it was 2 or 2.5 star, I would not be so disappointed. I feel that i was misled about the hotel from the company that i purchased it from.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My guess is that The Met used to be a pretty grand hotel in the area. It is a very large hotel and we were just looking for a place to rest our heads after a concert in downtown Detroit. The hotel has some age to it, but it appeared to be fairly well kept up. It is modern by any means, but it was clean and cheap. There is nothing within walking distance. It is in the middle of an industrial park and you have to drive a little ways to find restaurants. My only complaint was that the thick curtains that really darken the room only went 1/2 way on each side, so we were awoke bright and early to the morning sun.

Room Tip: We got a double room and it was very large. Plenty of room for 2 couples or a family.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CSP532
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here two nights over the past weekend and although there are definitely some rough edges to this hotel, I really can't complain. We were part of the Parrothead group that were in town for the Jimmy Buffett concert and the pre-concert party was at this hotel. We were in room 133 and it was very comfortable with a new bed and a recently renovated bathroom. The room was large and had all the comforts we needed for our stay. I'm sure this was a four star hotel in the past but has now dropped to a two, but even saying that we still enjoyed our stay. The staff were very friendly and attentive to our needs, so no problems there. If you need one or two nights in a low cost location, you could try the Met, but be prepared for a potential long walk to you room and some rough edges here and there.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lawrie B
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Spent a weekend there as part of a local Parrothead get together. Check I'm was easy and staff was very welcoming and efficient. We asked to modify our room to a long and was able to do so with no problem. Our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I thought the decor was nice even though it was obvious that the hotel has changed names over the years. The conference amenities were nice as well. Others at the hotel also seemed to be pleased and I saw the manager stepping up to help guests and pitch in when other staff were busy helping customers.

The only issue I had was that the breakfast they have is a bit misleading. The continental breakfast is free which consists of cold cereal and bagels. They also had a hot breakfast which was served buffet like the rest but was $5. Not that big of a deal and they do have a sign out front that me mentioned that there was an additional fee for the hot food. We didn't see the sign and were caught off guard when the waitress brought a bill. The breakfast was worth the money as you had a nice choice of breakfast meats, scrambled eggs, and biscuits and gravy. Again, no biggie, but they could have maybe added another notice at the buffet line to be it bit clearer.

Overall, I was surprisingly pleased with our stay as I had read some terrible reviews. I would definitely consider staying again if I am in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank PetalMel
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The room smelled like urine upon arrival. The bedding smelled like human body flesh, and as if they attempted to cover the smell by giving the sheets a once over with lysol spray. We had to ask twice for towels to be delivered to our room (which should be standard if they had in fact cleaned the room), and were told that we couldn't get any until the maids showed up at 9am. Thank goodness we didn't have a 7am meeting. The staff were not apologetic at all. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
MichaelWitoszynski, Manager at The Met Troy, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced here while staying with us. We highly appreciate your review- taking it in great consideration, we are doing our best to correct the problems you have noted, and are doing everything we can to fix them. However, we do wish you would have directed these issues to a manager during the time. We are sorry our hotel did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

DIRTY and DISGUSTING! The Met Hotel has stains (think permanent stains, not the kind that simply wash out) all over the bed, curtains, carpet, and bathtub. Additionally, the shower was clogged with, what I assume was, a woman's hair. I left the hotel after 10 minutes. The manager refused to refund me the money for my reservation, despite my leaving the hotel within 10 minutes. The manager's reason for refusal: just because it isn't up to "my standards". This place wasn't up to a homeless person's standards...filthy. Beware, it is disgusting!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family