“groupon”

and 1 more site!
The Met Troy
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Troy
Reviewed September 28, 2011

fast check in had 2 reservations for 2 ppl had to tell them no 1 room for 2 ppl changed no problem breakfast was a joke no toaster cold bagels ran out of coffee cups only plastic think because of groupon as read before last room on floor which is quite a walk room nice good bed asked for balcony didnt get it 2nd floor think maybe 10 rooms without balcony i got 1 of those think again because of groupon

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 20, 2011

This place wasn't awful but it was close. It's a tired old place that needs a lot of renovation. The staff wasn't rude to me but they were not well trained. I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank etatk
Reviewed September 12, 2011

If I could give this place 0 stars I would. I've stayed here about 3 times in the last year and the customer service is severely lacking and the front desk employees as well as the managers on staff are Rude. Oh, and your stuff will get STOLEN. Only an hour after I'd checked out, I realized I'd left my (expensive) sunglasses on the bedside and quickly called so I could go back and retrieve them. After being given the run-around for 2 weeks, housekeeping and hotel staff claimed 'nothing' hadn't turned up. I will never go here again and recommend taking your business elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jiggi86
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights and we had 2 rooms, we were there for the Detroit International salsa Congress and the hotel made the experience painful for the organizers and the attendants... they also charged me for an amount higher of what the deal was, itried for 3 weeks to get in touch with them and finally today i talked to the General Manager (Jennifer) and she told me that she wasnt going to be responsilbe for anything that happened before her time... what kind of service is that?? they charged me the wrong amount and i have to eat the cost because they dont want to be responsible... worst service ever...

3  Thank rvah84
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed at the Troy hotel for two nights for a friend's wedding. My friend told me before I checked in he had a difficult time dealing with them because of the ownership change. To be safe, I made sure to get a receipt when I checked out which only showed one charge for my stay. HOWEVER, after I got home and checked my bank account found that they charged me for my stay when I checked in then again when I checked out. I have called there 5 times to resolve, and spoke to one person who said it happened to about 30 people that weekend! Since then I have left several messages for the general manager and been told by the receptionist several other times that I'd be getting a call soon. It's been over a week and I still have not received a return call and still do not have my money back!!

1  Thank terri b
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Hotel is rated at 3-stars , presumably for the service levels and facilities that it had under previous ownership. Many of these are no longer provided by current operators, so 3-star rating is not justified. I'd hesitate to give it 2.
At check in we were delayed by hordes of hediously costumed,extremely loud young people attending an "Anime" convention. They seemed to be allowed to "run amock" throughout the public areas of the hotel. Fortunately we were granted our request for a room in a quiet wing, far from the lobby area.
Room was only "OK' . Reasonably clean ,except for some mould in bath , large but "underfurnished" for its size . No coffee maker, no fridge,no microwave,old-style TV, only basic cable cable, no internet. . In-room local telephone service was not available at anytime during our 10 night stay.King size bed,comfortable.

Except for the weekend "conventions" ( there was a Latin dance workshop the second weekend ,also noisy) it was eerily quiet most of the time, due to lack of guests.

What was really annoying was the lack of in-hotel services. Hotel Restaurant/Bar only open on the weekend mornings for a very poor $8.99 "buffet" breakfast. Free morning coffee in lobby only when the restaurant was not open ($2 per cup there) . Adjacent former "high-end" restaurant is permanently closed . We couldn't even get a Detroit newspaper at the hotel.
During the week we were among only a few guests in this 190 room hotel. No business clientele evident. Probably a good thing since the "business center" computer equipment was not working. Indoor Pool and workout area not bad ,but could use more attention to furnishings and cleanliness.
Did I mention poor service? During our stay we were surprised to see a local TV news report indicating staff at this hotel not being paid and/or paycheques bouncing. This probably explains why our room was not cleaned by day-time houskeepers for 2 days running. When we complained to the desk clerk after returning in the evening ,a very "large" security guard arrived, tossed some clean towels into the bathroom , made up the bed and quickly left . Very strange.

All-in all, this hotel appears to be suffering from the Detroit area's economic woes and the mangement is doing little to help the situation. The Troy area is an attractive, safe suburb of Detroit , but this hotel is not the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Skaterdaddy
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I attended this hotel during the day for a convention. I did not stay at the hotel, but my close friends did for three nights. First I'll tell you what my observations were. Then I'll tell you what they told me of their stay, and others that they talked too during their stay.

This was at one time, and probably not long ago, an interesting looking and decent hotel. I don't know how long the current owners have had it, but if they keep it much longer, they are going to run it into the ground. There is a really cool (looking) restaurant/bar/nightclub at the end of the hall on right past the lobby. It has a nautical theme with a couple different floors. It kind of makes you feel like you are on some old ship, generally rather dark looking. That was all fine. But the other similarity to riding on an old ship that was very unwelcome was a nasty stench that hit you in the face when you opened the door. That smell evades description, but I had a sense that it had taken quite awhile to develop and grow. It was awful, and I cannot imagine ever putting a morsel of food near me while be surrounded by that stench. This was early on a Sunday, and I noticed that there were still empty bottles and glasses lying around from the night before. I found out later that this was SOP for this place. The bathrooms were rather noticeably dirty the couple times I went, and had toilet paper outages.

Our friends told us at lunch (off-site) that they had quite an adventure staying there. The first room they checked into hadn't even been cleaned. Well, once in awhile stuff happens. But then the second room they were checked into hadn't been cleaned either. The third room at least looked like it had been cleaned, but heaven knows what filth they were actually sleeping in. They said that they had stayed there for three nights in the same room, and no one came around to clean it even though they asked for it to be cleaned. Additionally, they kept getting locked out of their room, their keys would stop working and they'd have to go to the desk because for some reason, the computer had checked them out (this happened both days).

While they were waiting in line to resolve one of these issues (along with quite a few other people), one man felt compelled to tell them his story. He had been there about a week and was stuck there for 10 days for business. He said that no one had come to clean his room for his entire stay, and every day, the computer checked him out of his room even though he was booked for 10 days.

The convention organizers didn't get what they paid for either. They were supposed to have a huge portable dance floor brought in (provided by the hotel) for the many dancers they were bringing to the place for several days. Not only did the hotel not provide the dance floor, it turns out they double booked the room it was to go in for at least one of the nights that the dancers had booked it. So the convention goers had to cram themselves into the aforementioned stench ridden nightclub.

The only bright side of this place and rather amusing too, is that the staff were surprisingly nice, even though they couldn't do half of the things that hotel staff are supposed to do. Maybe it's a circumstance that if they didn't smile, they'd cry.

Needless to say, my friends were very disappointed with their stay, would never stay again, and neither would I.

2  Thank occasionaltraveler66