“Great Service, Flaccid Food”
Review of Ocean Prime

Ocean Prime
Reserve with OpenTable
Ocean Prime is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 284 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Big Beaver
Description: OCEAN PRIME is a modern American restaurant and lounge from renowned restaurateur Cameron Mitchell. Voted “Best in Troy” by the Troy Chamber of Commerce and “Best Seafood” by Ambassador magazine, OCEAN PRIME Troy delivers an extraordinary dining experience to guests. Located at the intersection of Big Beaver Road and Coolidge Highway across from the Somerset Collection shopping center, it’s the perfect choice for cocktails, a power lunch or an indulgent dinner. Stunning settings and a vibrant energy, an impressive menu of seafood and prime cuts of steak, signature cocktails, a Wine Spectator-honored wine list and truly genuine hospitality make OCEAN PRIME Troy an ideal place to socialize, talk business, celebrate and indulge.
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Very attentive waitstaff, but crabcakes and truffle fries were "meh", bland at best. Hubby enjoyed his steak, but I was unimpressed.

2  Thank brew_city_belle

Reviewed October 30, 2013

always a great meal here. Would have liked to sit in the bar at a booth but couldn't-open table only allows you to book a party of 4 and not 2? Silly.... Does get quite noisy in dining room the later you go. Was disappointed that there wasn't any halibut on the menu. Had a steak and it was very good.

2  Thank M R
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have eaten at Ocean Prime twice now and I definitely plan to go back. The first experience I had here was for a large party dinner. Typically for large group dinners at higher end restaurants, the quality is not nearly as good as it would be if you go in a private party. However, I will say I was impressed with the food from the start. We had the calamari to start which was pretty good. We also had the Ocean Prime house salad, one of the best house salads I have had in a long time. My main dish was the salmon which was simply delectable. The soy butter sauce was so good I could have licked my plate clean. The fish was a generous portion and tasted very fresh. Dessert was the 10 layer carrot cake which was amazing and huge! Yum.

For the second visit, we were in a group of 4. It was a very nice night so we decided to sit on the patio. It was lovely. We started out with the jumbo lump crab cake which did not disappoint. My main course was the signature sea scallops. Again, a generous portion. However, I thought the scallops were good but not up to the standard of being a signature dish. I would much rather go back and get the salmon than the scallops. Our sides included the jalapeno scalloped potatoes (mouth-watering) and the black truffle mac 'n' cheese (also very good). Dessert was the chocolate peanut butter pie which amazing.

I can't remember anything specific about the service. It must have been pretty good because I would definitely remember if I had a bad experience.

The place is on the expensive side but the portions were huge!

All in all, I had a very positive experience twice at Ocean Prime Troy. I definitely plan to go back! I highly recommend others to try it out!

2  Thank Mia M
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went there for my wife's birthday. It's very nice clean with friendly staff and great friendly service.
I had blackened swordfish while my wife had sea scallops. Our server Paul made some great recommendations and confirmed good choices.

2  Thank Johnnygrapes
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was my first visit to Ocean Prime and it was for my father's 70th birthday. I had made a reservation on open table and was very happy that my message that it was his birthday and to put a bottle of wine on the table made it to the restaurant.

Our server, I believe Nikki, was fabulous. The food was out of this world. Three of us got filet and two of us got swordfish. We ended up getting three sides and that was perfect for five people. My meat was cooked to perfection and I had no complaints about anything at all.

They even brought out a dessert, on the house, to my father for his birthday. It was a really nice gesture that they didn't need to do.

I will be back again and again!

2  Thank LisaAnoush

Been to Ocean Prime? Share your experiences!