WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Bayshore Resort

Bayshore Resort
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Harbor Springs, Michigan
“One of the nicer Traverse City hotels”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Bayshore Resort one evening in early October and then again one evening three weeks later. On both occasions we were in the same ground level non-lake-view room and were very pleased with both stays. I am somewhat surprised by a few of the negative reviews, but must point out that our stay was in October, not during the summer months and that our stay was simply to be close to Traverse City Cherry Capital Airport for a flight to Great Britain and back. Obviously we did not require a lake-view room, and the room rate was quite reasonable, both because of the time of the year and the non-view location of the room. Staff was cordial, although my one disappointment was that I was clearly told over the phone that a complimentary airport shuttle started at 7:00 a.m. (our departure flight was at 8:00), but when we checked in two weeks later were told that the shuttle started at 8:00 a.m. The airport shuttle picked us up at the airport at 10:45 p.m.on our return flight, and the van driver was polite, helpful, and drove safely. We found the breakfast room attractive, with a large selection of both hot and cold items. Our room was spacious and bedding was comfortable.

As for the "Victorian" decor of the hotel, I note with amusement some negative comments by other TripAdvisor reviewers. My guess is that the view of this Victorian decor is a generational one. My wife and I are an older couple, and we found the decor quite charming. Also the landscaping of the grounds is as nice or nicer than other bayfront hotels. As others have noted, the Bayshore Resort is significantly closer to downtown Traverse City than most of its competitors.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LouBobHarborSprings

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Linden, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I just visited this hotel for the first time. The location is wonderful with bay views and within walking distance to downtown. The room, however, had no comfortable chair for sitting. The standard room also has no refrigerator or microwave. This is a good spot for a good nights sleep.

• Stayed October 2013
Beverly Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

The property itself is just north of the downtown strip right on Grand Traverse Bay. Very nice location. The property itself is nice overall. Some upgrades are being done. My room itself was somewhat dated but nice and clean. I wish that I would have had a water front room versus a room that you had to hang your head out the window to see the bay. Family friendly resort. Nice pool and beach.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

no value found here. room was odd shaped and dark. breakfast was horrible - eggs that didn't look or taste like eggs, sausage swimming in grease, unripe fruit but lots and lots of carbs. would get an ok rating if rates were 30% less. still need to drive anywhere so location was of no particular importance.

Room Tip: not at this hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tom s
Milan, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed here for two nights during the week in October to enjoy the fall colors. The Bayshore is a great location just a quick drive from downtown. The hotel and its rooms are clean and comfortable, just a little bit dated in decor. I guess I would call it "girlie" ... a bit flowery ... but who cares if you get a good night's sleep. We got a two Queen side room that was not waterside, but had a small balcony and a view of the water if you looked over the balcony a bit. The only thing I didn't like about the room was that there was no mini-fridge or in-room coffee maker. I knew that going in, but I don't want to trudge downstairs in the morning for my "make me human" first coffee.

For those looking for a free breakfast, you can do pretty well at Bayshore's buffet. All the usual breads, fruits, and beverages, plus some hot items. We had cheese omelettes, sausage, and pancakes. It's not the made-to-order type of thing, but good for the price (free!). It was jam-packed with people, too, and there was plenty for everyone. I did not use the pool or spa but they looked very nice and they were nearly empty since kids were back to school.

A good place to stay when in TC in the fall looking for reasonable prices. It will stay in my list of go-to places when I come back the next time.

Room Tip: East side balcony rooms have a tiny balcony with two chairs and a small "drink" table. You...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were there for a wedding. Although it was cool out, I think we had season prices, so it was about $180 per night for two relatively horrible beds. The furniture in the room was not quality (but the TV was okay). It seems that they use the term "Victorian" as an excuse to not update mattresses for decades. The view of the water is not that great. You can see land on every side. The pool is right in front of the checkout counter so basically nobody was using it. Almost every time we walked by the checkout counter, a worker would tell us to have a nice day, even if we were walking back and forth multiple times to get things out of the car (which is a long walk but that is okay). The workers seemed like freshmen in college, being underpaid. As I left, I actually found the manager and told her I was not impressed. By that point, I did not want to make a scene. I would never go to this hotel again for season prices.

Room Tip: The only thing that makes it a resort is you can walk out to the small water area in the back.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank WindsorCrossing
Highland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in late September. It was a great location for touring the wineries in both the Old Mission and Leelanau Peninsulas. It was also very conveniently located near downtown Traverse City. The staff was very friendly and efficient. We never had any problems during our stay. The breakfast buffet that was included with the room was quite good and better than other hotels we've stayed at in the past. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Bay front rooms offer a beautiful view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple