“Couldn't ask for a better location”
Review of Bayshore Resort

Bayshore Resort
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding in late June, and we were impressed with the service, the location, and the quality of the hotel.
The Bayshore is right on Lake Michigan, with a view of both the Mission and Leelanau peninsulas. There's a beach accessible from the bottom floor of the hotel, with jet ski and boat rentals available. The free breakfast is great - if it's nice out, make sure you take your plate outside and sit on the beach.
Our room had a partial view, which means if you went out on the balcony you could see a little bit of the lake. Still, no problems with the room. It was clean, spacious, and the wireless worked just fine. The parking lot in front was never full. Just be aware that the traffic on Rte 31 is quite busy - we heard a rear-end collision one morning while we were packing our car.
Downtown is maybe 10 minutes away, although depending on the weather you may want to drive.

Room Tip: The lake views are more expensive, of course. We had a partial view, and other rooms overlooked the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
BayshoreResort, Guest Relations Manager at Bayshore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers.
We are glad that you were able to stay with us while attending a wedding in the area.

Thank you for the kind words about the spacious and clean rooms.
We have recently upgraded our wireless internet system and now have stronger signals throughout the property. We are happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of this and stay connected all weekend without any issues.

We hope that if you are ever visiting again you will choose to stay with us at Bayshore Resort.

Thank you.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I was thrilled with this place! Not sure where all the negative reviews came from. The decor was not "shabby" at all, but in excellent condition and very clean. I was expecting worn carpet, etc. from reviews I read. The decor represents a "port" atmosphere with cherry wood, etc. Only negative I saw was wall paper in bathroom. IIt was a relief to be in a "rich" enviornent rather than a super contemporary place. The beach and view from the room was outstanding!! The breakfast was excellent. There were at least 7 kinds of fresh fruit and other excellent choices. Pool area was beautiful! Only negative, A refrigerator in the room would have been nice. It is a bit pricey, but we felt it was worth the cost. We definitely would go back next time.

Room Tip: We paid extra for the full lake view, and felt it was well worth the money. Sun is never in your fa...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
BayshoreResort, Guest Relations Manager at Bayshore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with other travelers on TripAdvisor!

We are glad that you had such a nice time here. You are correct when saying our carpeting is brand new, mattresses are new, etc. It is unfortunate that some people see the Victorian decor as "shabby" when in reality it is just a different style than the more common Contemporary style, like you stated in your review. We pride ourselves in the cleanliness and upkeep of our decor, carpeting, etc., and it is so nice when people take the time to notice!

We are glad you were also able to experience our nice breakfast and pool area.
We hope that you do come back again next year, or even sooner!

Thank you.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I recently stayed here 3 nights for a wedding. I would never stay at this hotel again. Decor was outdated and shabby. There was no coffee service in the room. No insulation in the rooms. Very noisy with constant thudding from footsteps above me and noice from the hallway. Towels were freshened but one days sheets were not. When I arrived, there was no a/c in my room on a 95 degree day. After a long day of travel, I had to sit in my room with 2 maintenance men working on the a/c unit for 2 hours. When I asked the Front Desk Manager the next day for a room discount, she was unpleasant and offered an unacceptable discount. I asked for the General Manager and was told she was unavailable but it wouldn't do any good to contact her because she had already been called and wouldn't agree to a better discount. Since there is no coffee service in the room, I went downstairs to the continental breakfast to get some. I was there 5 minutes before breakfast service officially began, and kitchen staff yelled at me and told me I was there too early. If there's no coffee service in the room, coffee should be available very early in the morning if not 24/7. Apparently because of their location on the beach, this hotel does not care at all about customer service and feels their location trumps that. Again, I would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank scotcamp
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the beach front location. The beach is clean and the views are beautiful. The hotel however, was a real let down. For these kind of prices I would expect more updated decor and coffee making facilities in the room. The breakfast buffet was also very poor quality and was served on paper plates, styro foam cups and plastic cutlery...again for these prices I would expect more.
There is no food service either, so if you're enjoying the beach and would like something to eat your only choice is a snack from a vending machine.
Don't think the location merits the high prices of what is just an average hotel!

3  Thank sharon s
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently booked two rooms for family members that were attending a wedding. I requested rooms close to the elevator due to a medical disability that made it difficult for one of the guests to walk. They were booked in rooms at the end of the hall. During our stay we went to the front desk to get 2 plastic forks. We were told "it is against their policy" to let anyone have anything from their complimentary breakfast. When I asked again the Front Office Manager repeated the exact same phrase. I don't doubt that it is in fact "their policy" - I just find "their policy" unacceptable. When paying over $1300 for hotel rooms - I couldn't believe they would not get us a piece of plastic ware. As a result we had to eat our food with our hands while dressed in clothes for the wedding. We also had no A/C upon arrival in one of the rooms and the outside temperature was 95 degrees. Maintenance worked on it and after several hours they were able to get it fixed. When a discount was requested for the inconvenience, we were told they would have to ask the GM. How about empowering your associates to handle problems like this. They eventually agreed to a discount that we didn't think was acceptable. We asked for the GM contact info and were told "you can ask - but she'll tell you the make thing. The whole experience was really disappointing. It must be nice to be so busy that they don't have to provide basic customer service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank zip1234
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Had a great room-walkout to beach. Not many amenities but a good location and nice beach. Room was clean and staff friendly. Not sure it was worth what we paid though.

1  Thank Nancy-Lou-V
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located in Traverse City, Michigan. Our hotel room was bayside with a balcony. Though clean and great view; this hotel sorely needs updated decor. Staff was very friendly. Beds comfortable. Rooms spacious. I don't believe the room was worth the price. Could be, if decor is updated.

• Stayed: June 2012