“Affordable and nice”

GrandStay Hotel & Suites Traverse City
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We are a family of four and this was our first visit to Traverse City. Before booking our stay I researched traveler opinions and the AmericInn got the best reviews for this price range. I can see why - the hotel is well maintained and clean, the pool and hot tub are nice (although beware of high levels of chlorine!) and beds and rooms are comfortable. For the most part the room was quiet.... any outside noise could be drowned out by running the fan or air conditioner. The breakfast included bagels, toast, biscuits/ gravy, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cold cereal, instant oatmeal, waffles (make your own), and juice from 6 - 10 am. Coffee and tea available all day.
Pros
Located right next to Pirates Cove - just walk across the parking lot and you're there! Mini golf, go-carts, water coaster, bumper boats, etc. My kids really liked this place. Oh and Dairy Queen is right there too.
Also located along the TART - Traverse Area Recreation & Transportation Trails. We rented a four-person bike and enjoyed this beautiful area.
Traverse City is an amazing area and this is a very affordable option during peak summer travel season!
Clean rooms, comfortable beds.

Cons
High traffic area. At least in early July, it is a challenge making a left turn onto Rt. 31 into Traverse City. This could also be an issue when crossing the intersections of the TART trail on foot or on a bicycle.
No direct beach access from hotel - the hotels across the street have the beach access, therefore you need to find a public beach.
Room with two queen beds can feel a little small after 3 nights; our other option was King room with sleeper sofa.

Hopefully this will help other travelers considering this hotel. Happy Traveling!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank cinciyogi

Reviewed March 2, 2008

Stayed here when my son had a hockey tournament in town. The Americinn claims that they have built their rooms to be more soundproof and I found this to be true. Very comfortable beds -- I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank JMC_TWC
Reviewed October 1, 2007

We had to go to TC for my class reunion and didn't want to spend alot of money. The Americinn was just right. It was very clean. Jeremy at the front desk was really nice and even let us check in early! We had a jacuzzi suite. Everything was great. Close to everything and right on the main hotel drag for half the price. Breakfast was decent. Waffles, bagels, biscuits and gravy. Just right. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tuttland
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 19, 2005

We stayed there in summer of 2004 - booked a suite - but ended up with a different suite than one we had asked for and told we would get. Manager contermaned other staff who tried to accomodate us.

Stayed: July 2004
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed November 12, 2003

This hotel has very clean rooms. The staff was very friendly and we found that the hotel was kept up very nice. We have stayed at many hotels in traverse city, but we will make it a point to say with the americinn again because of their service and rooms.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 7, 2003

My family of four spent one night at this hotel in July of 2002. We had a two room suite on second floor. Neither of the two telephones in the suite worked. There were two TVs, but only one working remote. When I explained that I needed a phone to make a reservation for the next stop on our trip, I was shown a telephone in the lobby, where I had to crouch on the floor to make myself heard to the person on the other end of the line due to the loud music in the lobby. At three o'clock in the morning, I was awakened by a loud noise on the other side of the wall from the bed--perhaps a water softener or aome sort of pool equipment?
The noise continued for 45 minutes. In desperation, I went into the other part of the suite, where the kids were sleeping, and lay down on the floor. Pounding away, I could hear through the floor the music from the lobby--Kenny Rogers singing "The Gambler". "you've got to know when to hold "em, know when to fold 'em..." In the morning the kids rose early due to the beeping noise from the waffle maker in the lobby. Our comments about our less than restful night were greeted by disintest on the part of the staff. In an e-mail to the manager of the AmericInn after we returned home, I requested my money back. I was offered 10 or 15% off (I am unsure which) my next stay at the AmericInn Inn in Traverse City. Since we were simply traveling through the area, It is unlikely that we will return soon, and there is no way I would stay at this hotel again. I have staed at at least 3 other AmericInns in various states, and always been very satisfied, so this was a disappointment.

16  Thank 1s1
Traverse City, MI
Reviewed March 4, 2003

What a Wonderful Hotel! Im from Traverse City and we lost heat this winter and needed a place to stay while it was being repaired. We called and the staff made us feel at home and after 2 nights during our stay the entire staff knew us by name and made us feel at home. Breakfast was great! Rooms were clean! This hotel knows how to treat a guest like they should be treated!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member