“JanL”

Ranked #34 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Warren, Michigan
“JanL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I was hesitant to stay here after seeing some of the not so favorable reviews, but I booked 2 nights here on August 11th, 2013. I was glad I did, the hotel was very clean, the staff was very accommodating and although the breakfast area was small, they had a lot to choose from. I feel for the money we paid for the room at this time of the year in Traverse City was a bargain. I would stay here again in a minute!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jan G
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and taking a chance in staying with us. We appreciate your business and we are happy to announce we just broke ground in new renovations to make a bigger and better breakfast area.

We hope to see you again so we can share this new and exciting change and update.

Thank you again.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Henderson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Room was clean but could not cool it down ac just didnot want to work right.For what they charged was not worth the money Breakfast was not great seen and had better at cheaper hotels would not stay again unless only place with room

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are sorry you had a disappointing experience during your stay. I wonder if you had a chance to let the front desk know about the A/C not working properly in your room.

We are sorry you felt the the price of lodging was not worth your stay. We are confident to say that our rates are very competitive which includes a full hot deluxe breakfast with make your own waffles, an indoor heated pool & hot tub, free wi-fi and free HBO.

We thank you for staying with us and we hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you in hopes it will be a better experience.

Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We arrived on July 30, 2013 for a 2 night stay. We were satisfied with the check in. The room we were sold, 136 I believe, is right next to an access door to the interior, which slammed night and day. There was a lot of rust on the bathroom fixtures and the metal nightstand supports. This room needs a lot of work. Peeling wallpaper, that sort. The bedroom and the bath were quite large with lots of floor space, like a handicap room. The shower was good. I will attempt to attach a few photos to this memo.

Sleep quality was not good. Besides the constant slamming of door number "3", there must have been a herd of elephants (or soldiers) lodging in the room just overhead, constantly marching around until wee hours.

The location was very good, but as previously mentioned by other Tripadvisor reports, "by the Bay" is only sort of true. "Across the street from the Bay" would be more accurate. You can't even see the Bay from anywhere on the property. The Quality Inn is on the "Miracle Mile" which is the preferred location in the Traverse City east bay area. Nearby are the Bay Market, where I shopped for smoked whitefish from Charlevoix, and a restaurant called 'G's Pizzeria which is also very good. There is no refrigerator in this room, but I travel with a large ice chest in the truck for keeping food and drinks cold. A large park for camping is just next door, and there is a nice hiking and biking trail just behind the Inn which I used, very handy, and it goes on forever.

A lobby breakfast is served from 6:00 AM, and I am always up at the crack of sparrows anyway, so the timing was perfect for me and just a few other early risers. I must say that I really liked the coffee. I also made an egg and sausage sandwich in a toasted "English" muffin, yogurt, milk and apple juice both mornings. They have a waffle maker, cold cereals, toast, hard -boiled eggs, donut holes, cream cheese but oddly no bagels; a decent selection all in all. But one time I cruised thru the lobby while checking out (9:00 ish), and there were people sitting in the stairs, and outside, and taking food back to rooms on trays. So get there early for breakfast if you can.

On check out I saw on my bill the almost famous now charge for "Safe and insurance" at $1.50 plus tax per day, referring to the in- room safe which we didn't use, and the lady gladly deleted those charges for me, at my request, no questions asked.

Traverse City seemed to be having some sort of festivities the week we stayed here. Over on the west bay there were tents and food booths set up near the shore like for a carnival, and that may be the reason that the prices we paid for this stay were so high. For the over -all condition of this property, I would only give them 2 stars considering the price, but they get an extra half a point for personnel.

Next time in the Traverse City area we will probably try some other motel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your stay with us. We are sorry you had to deal with the unsatisfactory location of your room next to a main entry way to the hotel. I'm not sure if you had the chance to bring this matter to our attention during your stay, but if we had another room would have been more than happy to offer you a more suitable room.

We are pleased to know you enjoyed the location of the hotel in regards to the restaurants but there is always a confusion regarding the title "Quality Inn By The Bay". Unfortunately we are not on the bay and the way the hotel is situated, there are no good views of the bay or beach, however, we are a block walking distance from beach access.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the third time. We had a good stay again. The hotel was near to capacity. Room was clean and quiet. The free continental breakfast is meager compared to other places but is enough for us. The only problem we had with this hotel this time was turning left out of the parking lot. There is much more traffic at this time of year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Summer5
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for always considering our hotel as your choice for lodging for the third time. We cannot convey how much we appreciate your business considering the many options of hotels in this area.

We can agree that it does become a challenge trying to make a left turn out of our hotel onto the main road. Traffic tends to be very heavy any time of the day during peak season. One suggestion and turning right and merging into the center lane to go into another hotel parking lot to get turned around.

We hope to continue seeing you soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

When arriving for a corporate booked week my room was so dirty that I took a wash cloth down to the front desk to show them from wiping down my headboard and bathtub. The long hair kid at the desk said " oh ok. " Yep that's it. And the breakfast is terrible. Different day same kid was setting up the breakfast and by 620 the food was still not out. When he finally got it out to the table the eggs were frozen together. Late and frozen ? I travel a lot for work and have never stayed here before. I certainly will not be back. The only friendly person I ever encountered was a young lady on the previous morning who was setting up breakfast. But even she never said hello good morning. No greeting whatsoever. The only communication we had was when I asked her what time the pool opened and she finally smiled an said 6. Overall way to pricey for the very poor service. Bad food that is advertised as hot fresh healthy. And the dirty rooms. Will not be back

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Allow me to begin by apologizing for the unpleasant experience you had with us during your stay.

I am confident to state that our housekeeping team does a great job maintaining each rooms but I'm sorry we fell short on your room. No excuse for dirt and hair you discovered.

Thank you for bringing to our attention about the "unfriendliness" you encoutered by a couple of our team members. We want to make sure all of our guest feels invited and welcome. This is a learning opportunity for our entire team.

We hope you will allow us another opportunity to provide better service the next time you visit this area.

Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Traverse City hotels

Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

In defense of this motel, my brother's family and my family stayed in 2 rooms during the Traverse City Film Festival, and it's possible that the rates were extra high due to the demand for lodging. We used my brother's corporate discount, and I still think the rate was too high for this particular property. The room was very average. It was clean but basic.
The free breakfast was OK, but not overly impressive. My son gave it a 6 on a scale of 1-10. Personally I think it's more of a 5, but I believe he rated it higher because he got to eat sugary cereal for breakfast. The breakfast area is very small with few tables. We ate outside, with 3 of us sitting on a bench and the rest sitting on the curb with plates in our laps.
The rooms are PET FRIENDLY! For some, this is a good thing, but due to severe allergies, this is not a plus for me. I always check the pet status before booking, but I forgot to ask my brother to check on this. I had a reaction to our room and awoke, scrambling for my inhaler. My fault - I should have investigated.
Missing dress - I was traveling with a favorite dress because this trip was mostly a vacation but included a wedding. I accidentally left the dress behind. (Not at the wedding, but at the Quality Inn!) When I called to enquire about it, no such dress had been located. I didn't realize it was gone until a full day had passed since my check out, but I can't imagine it wasn't found. The head of housekeeping was not available when I called, and is supposed to call me back. If it is found, I will certainly remove this final paragraph from my review.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay. Many guest feel the prices of lodging is high during this time of the year and we are confident to state that we have very competitive pricing in comparison to other hotels in the area. Cherry Festival and Film Festival is the area's highest peak times and events.

We are excited to announce that the hotel is in the midst of rennovation to provide and bigger and better breakfast area. We hope and anticipate this change will provide a better experience.

We are sorry you were not made completely aware by your family member that we are pet friendly. This feature is favored but may guests who travels with their pets, but we know it can create a not so pleasant experience if one has allergies.

As far as the "missing dress", our team follows a strict protocol and follows proper procedure as far as our lost and found policy. If you have not been contacted by now by our team regarding the missing dress, we hope it turns up on your end.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Thank You!
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is not among the best Quality Inns we have stayed. The room we got had no refrigerator and no closet. The room was clean and the beds OK. The soundproofing between rooms was weak and given the size of the hotel the breakfast room size miniscule . The food itself was reasonable but the pressure to relinquish the seat diminished the experience. Exiting the parking lot for a left turn can be a major adventure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank martinezcm
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you fro sharing your thoughts and feedback regarding your stay.

We are sorry you felt this experience was not what you expected with Quality Inns. We are excited to announce that we are in the midst of major rennovation to provide and bigger and better breakfast area so that our guest will have the utlimate experience when having breakfast with us. We are sorry you found the sound proofing between rooms was less adequate. It does become challenging when the hotel is at full capacity.

We hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you the next time you get a chance to visit beautiful Traverse City and we hope your next experience will be more enjoyable.