“Disgusting” 2 of 5 bubbles

Quality Inn By the Bay
Ranked #34 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
“Disgusting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I came here on a business for a week and chose this hotel because it had rooms still available at a more affordable price. Although this was paid for by my company, I would've gladly forked over extra money to stay at a nicer place. First off, the room completely smells of a mixture of old smoke and mold with a touch of dampness to it. It completely makes sense as soon as you take a look around the old room and realize how completely dirty it is (or from seeing the leftover torn plastic cup that is still sitting underneath the side table left from a party back in the early 2000's). The headboard and furniture have dust all over them and even lamps have a few cobwebs hanging from them. There were bits of hair clinging onto the soap scummed bathroom and sink fixtures. I won't even start with the nasty floor (bring slippers). Overall, the experience hasn't been a good one. If I had to give some advice to the manager of the hotel that still wants to cut corners on "trying" to upkeep because it isn't in the budget, re-train your staff on how to properly clean a room (or rent a local cleaning company that knows what they're doing) and buy some scented candles/oils to get rid of the grotesque stench in the rooms.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Epeterson13
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my sicere apology for the disappointment you experienced during your stay with us. Rest assured that we do not operate on a "cutting corners' standards. Infact, we are very selective in choosing people to join our team because providing a clean and comfortable place to stay is one of our main goals to remain competitive in this industry, let alone in Traverse City, where there is an abundant amount of hotels and lodging to choose from.

I'm not sure if you had a chance to address your concerns with us during your stay. We would done anything possible to make sure your stay was enjoyable whether you were in town for business or pleasure.

We cannot thank you enough for choosing us for your lodging needs and I hope you will allow us another opportunity in the future.

Thank You!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were in town for a lacrosse tournament and this was our team motel, if we hadn't signed a contract I would have left as soon as we opened the doors. The beds were old and uncomfortable. The "bathroom" was a tub and toilet that my 5' son was too big to fit in without getting into the shower to shut the door. The room smell like mildew even after I went through two bottles of Febreze and lit scented candles. The floor was filthy and there was mildew all over the bathrooms. By there own admission blankets are not washed between guests, gross. The staff was ok but didn't seem equip to handle a few teams of boys. The lobby/breakfast area were tiny so it was crazy in the mornings even if you weren't eating. This place is in desperate need of updating and they should start by getting rid of all the beds. Do not look at the mattresses or curtians or you will not be able to sleep. We did not have a bug problem like some of the others in our group thankfully. We will not be back.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank MY3BOYSROCK
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. We are fortunate to be able to accommodate a large group such as a lacrosse or soccer team.

I'm sorry for the dissapointment you experienced during your stay. I don not recall any other members of your team bringing any type of concerns to our attention, but nontheless, I wished you had a chance to let us know of your concerns during your stay. I apologize my housekeeping team missed the opportunity in performing like we should in regards to the cleanliness and smell of your room.

Please be aware we are going through several updates and renovations in the upcoming months to bring the hotel up to date and to meet our guest's standards, starting with new beds and a bigger breakfast area. We anticipate on having these changes done before next summer in time for next year's tournaments. We hope you will see us again to experience these changes with us.

Thank You.

Travelers are raving about these Traverse City hotels

Flint, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Located a few miles from center of city. Room was clean and quiet. Although it was out dated as was most of the hotel.Indoor pool & hottub, hottub was not hot or useful.Breakfast was commercial sausage & eggs, waffles,cereal and bread, not the best but better than some. There is a bike/walking trail behind the hotel along the RR tracks that is nice to walk or ride. Overall we have no complaints but nothing to praise either. It was a clean room comfortable beds and quiet so it was ok and not much more

Room Tip: All rooms are high this time of year in this area. Look for location near place you will spend most...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your thoughts on your recent stay with us. I appreciate you acknowledging what you liked about your stay and our hote, but more importantly, thank you for pointing out what opportunities we can work on to get better.

Our location is conveniently about 2.5 miles from downtown T.C. shopping and restaurants, and minutes from wineries. Many of our guests enjoys then T.A.R.T. Trail (Traverse Area Recreational Trail) located at the back of your hotel. Guests have utilized the trail for walking, biking, running, walikng pets, roller blading to name a few activities.

We are going to expand the size of our breakfast area to make it for roomy and comfortable and we always look for ways to offer and variety of breakfast items.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Toledo, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed here July 06 to 09. Had king bed hot tub room. Very comfortable bed. Did not hear any noise from other guests. Place was full for opening weekend of the Cherry Festival. Bathroom was small - tub and toilet. Sink was opposite with good size counter space. Odd set up for sink. Towel bar was on opposite side with hair drier just beside the sink. Seating at small table was tight. Had difficulty connecting to WiFi first night. Talked to front desk staff, they gave me the number for IT support. Very helpful call. Able to get me connected with some set up changes. The rest of the weekend, we connected with only one time loosing the connection. Got reconnected right away by signing back into the network. The breakfast area is small. Were fortunate enough to get a table one day. Took our breakfast back to the room another day. Another problem was we had to 'wiggle' our key cards in the outside door to get it to work and double swipe it in the room door to get it to open. Once we learned this trick it wasn't too bad. As I said, overall a nice place, I would consider staying here again. Have stayed at the Days Inn and the Cambria Suites hotel in the past. Those are good options for the area too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Keith B
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Hello Mr. Keith,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your feedback with us regarding your stay. We appreciate your business and can't express how much we value you.

Thank you for sharing some of the concerns you experienced and we are happy to announce that our hotel will undergo major rennovations to bring our level of service to meet and exceed your expectations and other guests alike.

We hope you continue staying with us going forward.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Reserved this room with my points.
I always stay here if I can.
Its not ostentatious, but for the price and location you won't beat it in Traverse.
...The Main reason is they care..
Staff and Mgt. Actually care Enough said
Tks again Quality

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank kidvallian
Thank you for always considering us when you come to Traverse City. We appreciate your business and loyalty to our hotel and the Choice Hotels Brand.

We always strive to provide our guest with the best experience which enables our guest to keep coming back time and time again.

We hope to see you again soon.

State College, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on the third night of a five-night, six-day motorcycle trip. The day that we stayed here was our longest day (mileage-wise) of the trip. We began our day in Sudbury, Ontario at 7:30 AM and wound up checking in at the Quality Inn just after 6 PM. We were spent!

So it was a very good thing that I'd reserved a king room with an in-room hot tub so we could rest our weary selves at the end of the day. That room was $10 more than a standard king room and it was well worth it. The hotel was pretty full for the night and each time we walked past the pool and hot tub, it was crowded.

Our room was adequate in size, although the furnishing are a little dated. The separate sink area allowed my husband and I to get ready to go out to dinner at the same time. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The towels were a bit thin. The water pressure and temperature were not to my husband's liking (too weak and not hot enough) and he felt the shower head was mounted too low (he had to crouch to get under it completely and he's only 6' tall).

The complimentary breakfast was OK. The area is very small...or, as they call it, "cozy." We took our breakfast back to our room; it was simply easier and, frankly, there were no seats available.

Check-in and -out were a breeze. The staff at the front desk were friendly. At check-out, they were able to e-mail my folio rather than give me a print out. That was nice since we were on the bike and I didn't really want to be bothered with a paper receipt.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PSU_Beth
Hello Valued Guests,

Thank you for allowing us to be part of your journey. We cannot thank you enough for choosing our hotel.

We are very delighted to know you were satisfied with our overall accommodations with a few exceptions of the shower and size of our breakfast area. We did escalate your concern regarding the water pressure and temperature of the shower to our maintenance department. I'm sorry about the limited space in our breakfast area. It is a challenge when the hotel is at full capacity.

I am happy to announce that our hotel will undergo major renovations for a bigger breakfast room in November. We hope you will see us in the future to have a better experience with our new renovations.

Thank You for your time.
Streamwood, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here on my way home from the UP. The room is mostly clean, some hairs on the sheet, which I work at a hotel, I understand they get stuck there. The girl when I checked in was ok at first, but then seemed kind of indifferent. My biggest problem was there's a sign on the first floor for the elevator, but I walked halfway down the floor and didn't find one, which would have been helpful with a sprained ankle. The breakfast area is REALLY small, but just take it to your room. I did notice that you can hear people REALLY easily, but it wasn't a problem. AND, instead of putting 3 pillows that have been washed and dried and so are all bunched up and small, buy some new ones.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ram33, Manager at Quality Inn By the Bay, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Hello Katee W,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your feedback regarding your experience wiht our hotel. We appreciate your business and hope you will allow us another opportunity in servicing your hotel needs in the future. I am sorry for your disappoinment in our pillows. They are items that Choice Hotels mandates that we have in each room. Some people like them, some people don't.

Our breakfast area does become cozy when the hotel is sold out but believe it or not we manage to provide breakfast for everyone who can make it to breakfast.

We hope to see you again soon and thank you again for your time and consideration.