“Complete Disappointment”

West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Stayed April 4-6.
Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge complainer and usually when I read reviews I take them with a grain of salt and we more times than not have a great experience, unfortunately not with this hotel.
Not sure we will ever come back again. Upon entering our room #233. We found it to be extremely hot (79 degrees with thermostat set to 68). We turned on the A/C and headed out to dinner. Upon retuning the room had cooled off a bit so we shut the a/c off so it was not blowing on us in bed. Big mistake as it was extremely uncomfortable sleeping. We were with our 11.5 month old son and didn't want cold air blowing on him. Before we put him to sleep we decided to go for a dip in the pool. Yet another disappointment. We stepped into the pool to find it freezing cold (it may have been warmer to swim in Lake Michigan). We ended up in the hot tub with kids throwing balls at each other, I was afraid my son was going to get drilled in the face. The hot tub was the temperature of what the pool should have been. Not the great first time pool experience we were looking for with our son. After our swim we went back to the room and put our son to bed. We went to log-in to the wi-fi and that was a joke. All weekend if you could get the wi-fi to connect it didn't last for long and wouldn't open anything. Also we had to fix our tv before we could watch it. On Saturday morning I complained to the front desk about the heat issue and all maintenance did was turn on the A/C. They also promised me the pool would be up to temperature within an hour. We checked the pool at around 4:00, 7 hours later and it was still too cold to take our child swimming in it. Swimming was the main reason for spending a weekend in TC during spring break, next time I will save money and rent down the road for half the price. Maybe get a jacuzzi suite and let my son splash around in there. We rented the room under their stay and play promotion and I feel like we got terrible accommodations and service because of it being a discount rate. Beware when booking with this hotel. Apparently they were having heat issues with the pool and rooms (other guests complained too) but they didn't mention a thing at check-in! The place has been renovated but I think thy are still working out the kinks over a year later.

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank dreaming_of_summer
Colin W, General Manager at West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dreaming_of_summer -
Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor.com. We appreciate you giving us an opportunity to learn about your recent stay.

Your review is, unfortunately, indicative of problems we were experiencing this past weekend. Our HVAC control system malfunctioned, and caused sporadic issues throughout the hotel.
The bigger disappointment is that our staff didn't take better care of you and your family. I personally have a young child and I understand the letdown you felt.

Krystal, our Guest Service Manager, has reached out to you. I don’t believe you have yet connected. We would appreciate an opportunity to provide your family a better experience here at West Bay Beach Resort.

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a long weekend. It was very clean. The people were very nice we ogling and helpful. There are two restaurants right in the hotel. Easy access affordable options on he menu. It is downtown with easy access to many shopping and a number of great eateries. It was well worth the stay.

Jellibean3 -

Thank you for your review! We appreciate you mentioning our great staff here at West Bay Beach Resort!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We just spent a long weekend up in Traverse City with another couple. Our main purpose was to check out the wineries, but our stay at the West Bay Beach Holiday really made it a great weekend. Just loved our breakfast server, Jennifer, who treated us like family! And Bradley made the best made-to-order omelets for us each morning! We had a brand new server on our first morning there, too. I can't remember her name, but she also was very helpful, especially since it was her first morning serving breakfast. She said she had done special events previously. The rooms were very comfortable and the location to the downtown shops was perfect!

Lynn Z -

Thank you VERY much for your review! We really appreciate you mentioning Jennifer & Brad in your comments.

See you next time!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Made a quick getaway north for our anniversary. Stayed 1 night during non-peak season. Price was great. Staff extremely pleasant and helpful. Wanted to get a good meal while in town. Staff gave 2 great restaurants. We arrived back at our hotel room, and noticed an envelope from the front staff with "Holiday Inn Bucks" inside. What a lovely surprise to a great weekend. Room was clean and nicely updated. Breakfast was filling and tasted great. Would definitely stay here again. I bet this place is a blast during the summer. :)

Kristi Z -

Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor.com! We especially appreciate you mentioning a couple of our wonderful staff members - Jennifer & Brad!

See you again soon, we hope!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed here for a girls night. They have shuttle to the area restaurants and bars. The hotel was clean and everyone working was very nice! We ended up back at the hotel bar, Shimmers. It was a great time!

Tachesn -

We are very glad you chose to spend your "girls night" with us here at West Bay Beach Resort!

See you again sometime soon, we hope!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Manger was quick to solve any issues. Front desk was super courteous as well as informative about the area. Great breakfast buffet,thanks to Bradley. Jennifer was a pleasant friendly server. Hot tub wasn't functional was the only down side to a great stay.

barbedlemur5988 -

Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor.com! We appreciate you sharing your experience with others.

As mentioned, we did experience a problem with the "jets" on the Jacuzzi during your stay. Rest assured, this is taken care of!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Enjoyed a breakfast buffet on Saturday 3/29/14. The whole experience was nice. The waitress Jennifer attended our table and we wanted for nothing. A gentleman handling the buffet named Bradley, greeted us and informed us of what was offered. He made great scrambled eggs for my wife, even though the buffet had scrambled eggs but she did not want cheese on hers, with no hesitation and a smile, said he understood and made the eggs with no cheese. I asked for 2 eggs over very very easy and a couple minutes I had perfect over very very easy eggs(this does not happen very often, usually they are over cooked!). I put the eggs on top of sausage gravy, which by the way was the best sausage gravy I have had for a long time. I also had a bowl of oatmeal, well, to be honest I had 2 bowls, it was delicious. I commented to Bradley how good it was and his response was "you can thank Mr. Quaker for that", my response was I take my oatmeal serious and make it for myself and it is all in how it is mixed!
I also observed the other waitress Sara and she looked like she was doing her job well also, same with Keith. It is very seldom I can say my total experience at any restaurant was great and this happened to me today. Thank you management for hiring good people who want to see their customers happy.

Room Tip: Sorry, I live here and only went for a Saturday buffet! I can say this, the hotel has the best locat...