“Do NOT recommend”

Hampton Inn Traverse City
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Terrible staff and WAY over-priced. Jacuzzi was not working. Had very loud people next door, both late and very early. Staff did nothing to address. Staff never asked how our stay was at any point. Would NEVER recommend this Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank bbtullberg
France F, Front Desk at Hampton Inn Traverse City, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hampton Inn of Traverse City. You are an important guest and all of your comments and feedback help us better serve you. I see that we did not earn your 9's or 10's and I apologize if during your stay we were not up to Hampton's excellent standard of service. Thank you for your time and I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to serve you in the near future. We loved having you here.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

My family and I recently stayed at this Hampton Inn. The location is on the main road through town but outside of the downtown area by about 3 miles.

We found the hotel itself was nice and consistent with the Hilton (Hampton Inn) brand.

The pool was also nice which we found also had a hot tub next to it.

Our check in was not the greatest experience. When we met with the desk staff we were told we booked a "Standard King" which does not have a fold out bed / couch. As there was four of us I requested a room that could accomodate us and we were promply put into a double queen room. After getting to our room I was curious as to where I could have made such a dumb mistake booking a room not big enough for my family. After reviewing our reservation confirmation I found that I had booked a King Study which does have a fold out bed / couch so I called back to the front desk and were able. Without explanation we were put into a toom type that we had originally reserved. Not sure what the confusion was but we felt like more of a bother to them. This was frustrating as it was clearly not an issue that we had created.

Later in the evening we of course discover that we had left some items behind in the first room we we were assigned. I called the front desk and the though the employee agreed to check it, we were again met with a tone that we were being more of a bother. However I will say that the employee that assisted us was very quick in retrieving our items and was very pleasant when he brought them to us.

During breakfast the next morning we found the eating area greatly undersized and saw several people eating while standing up, holding plates of food standing around waiting for a table and several more taking food back to their rooms as there was nowhere to sit. It appeared that there were two employees tending to the breakfast area and at one point several people were waiting for the large waffle batter container to be refilled. I observed one employee ask a young boy if he had been waiting long (for the waffle mix). When he answered "yes, about ten minutes", I watched in surprise as the employee began to argue with the boy and what I think was his mother, about the actual time they / he was waiting.

It appeared that the two workers were very busy in the breakfast area, but honestly the waffle mix should be something that is checked regularly throughout the morning to ensure it does not get too low, or, what for it.....become empty. The area is not large at all and it would be very easy to simply lift the lid the check the level, or even watch how many guests are using it the waffle station. Not only was this employee's response inappropriate, it made me and my family who witnessed this, uncomfortable, because the boy was actually correct in the amount of time several of us were waiting. Besides some frusterated looks, I saw no one in the packed breakfast area treating anyone of the staff rudely.

During our short stay here we also encountered and observed several of the staff (not all) that seemed less than motivated and far from pleasant with whatever job they were doing.

I also point out the good as well. The breakfast, minus the employees, was actually very good with sausage, egg omelet with cheese, juices, cereal, make-your-own oatmeal and make-your-own waffles (when there is batter). The staff did change our room and correct the error and the employee did retrieve our items that we accidently left behind quickly for us. Again, the pool was very nice and the hotel, inside and out, appeared very clean.

Unfortunately, as Hilton Honors members this is the only Hilton hotel in Traverse City. When we travel overnight again to Traverse City we most likely will not be staying here and we base this completely on our experience with the staff.

Room Tip: If the hotel is moderately busy, be prepared to wait for food and / or a place to sit if you choose...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hampton Inn of Traverse City. You are an important guest and all of your comments and feedback help us better serve you. I apologize for the issues you had during your stay. Thank you for your time and I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

My family and I make an annual trip to Traverse City primarily for the National Cherry Festival. Each year we visit, we try and stay at a different hotel. This year, we chose the Hampton Inn. Upon our arrival, we were greeted very promptly and graciously by the front desk. Within minutes, we had our room keys and checked into our room. The room was very clean and the amenities were adequate. During our entire stay, the staff at Hampton Inn was very kind, courteous, and attentive to our needs. This hotel is a great bargain for anyone.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
France F, Front Desk at Hampton Inn Traverse City, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hampton Inn of Traverse City. You are an important guest and all of your comments and feedback help us better serve you. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your time and I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to serve you in the near future. We loved having you here.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I love Hampton Inns, but I don't love this one. I don't like what they have done with the breakfast room. There are mostly sofas that are way too low for the tables. They keep the TV turned very loud. The staff are pleasant people but a little slow to help and a little rough around the edges considering the price of this location in the summer. I will say the location is nice, right across the street from a park on Traverse Bay.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

This Inn is close to the Traverse City,f MI airport (5 minutes drive) and the staff are pleasant, courteous and professional. The condition of the hotel from entering to departing and the staff interactions were outstanding.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Hampton Inn is a very good value for the money. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the breakfast is quite good. The staff is helpful. It's a little further out than some but it's right across the street from the bay and is right on the main drag.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Able to walk to the beach however you have to cross the highway with a 45mph speed limit, or walk a quarter mile either way to get to a safe crossing. The rooms ewe clean and you might be lucky to get a room with a view! I wasn't. I look at the camping ground next door. My only complaint, is the complimentary breakfast.... Make you own waffles, stale French toast sticks, soggy eggs, sugary cereals. Basically nothing even remotely heathy. I'd rather pay for my breakfast. Oh and it's not near down town, not a bad drive, but not close.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 584AndreaG584

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hampton Inn of Traverse City. You are an important guest and all of your comments and feedback help us better serve you. I apologize for the issues you had with breakfast during your stay. Thank you for your time and I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to better serve you in the future.