“Good Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Oklahoma
“Good Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

An enjoyable stay. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Property is in very good condition - room was very clean and in modern condition - plenty of plugs and even had USB ports. Typical Hampton Inn breakfast. My only negative would be the highway noise - we had a room near the front so I would suggest a room near the back. Workout room was fine as was the internet.

Room Tip: Highway noise near the front of the hotel so take a room in the back.
    • 4 of 5 stars
Jamie H, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Traverse City, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hampton Inn of Traverse City. You are an important guest and all of your comments and feedback help us better serve you. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your time and I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to serve you in the near future. We loved having you here.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This Hampton Inn is a typical hampton inn. Decent breakfast, decent rooms, and comfy beds. I can't really ask for much more than that and received it.

The property is a bit far from downtown TC but closer to the roads up old mission point. The staff seemed a bit quirky but the property is nice and well cared for (except the seemingly bombed out out-of-business putt putt golf next door)...not that it has anything to do with the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Nice hotel very right across from Lake Michigan, Our room did not have a fridge or microwave in it, but overall it was still very nice. Very centrally located within 10 to 20 minutes from many Wineries and orchards.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We've visited this property a number of times over the years. The hotel staff is always friendly and helpful. The property is in a good central location. Our room this time was reasonably clean. We are not fans of the new hard side shower doors which make the shower much smaller. Water was very soft on this visit. Bed reasonably comfortable.
The room had CFL bulbs which cast yellow light and do not do a good job lighting the room, but that's a minor niggle.
Free coffee and breakfast.
Overall just a nice solid room a a fair price with good service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed here Wednesday night through Sunday morning while attending a conference nearby. The room was clean and has been cleaned well during my stay and the bed is comfortable. My complaints would be along the lines of hearing slamming doors frequently (partly because they slam unless you close it carefully and partly because you can't run the fan on the heating/AC unit constantly). Also, the lack of fan continues into the bathroom and the smoke alarm in my room went off every time I took a shower. When I approached the desk staff regarding the "steam" alarm, I was informed I "must have gotten the lucky room." Pretty disappointed but overall, I guess okay if you like lukewarm showers and an insomniac.

• 2 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hampton Inn of Traverse City. You are an important guest and all of your comments and feedback help us better serve you. I apologize for the trouble you had during your stay with the doors closing loudly and the smoke detector being set off from the steam of the shower. I would also like to extend an apology that our Front Desk Agents were not more sympathetic to these problems and that we did not meet or exceed your expectations or the standards that you have come to expect with Hampton Inn's. Thank you for your time and I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Hampton Inn Traverse City is just what we expected based on our frequent stays with the Hampton Inn hotel chain -- attractive furnishings, very comfortable bed, good breakfast with plenty of variety, and large flat panel TV with good picture quality. Hotel staff at this location is very friendly, efficient, and accomodating, especially the evening staff.

Most of the Hamptons have refrigerator and microwave in the rooms, but this one does not. On our first evening, one of the desk clerks noticed that I went into the breakfast area to find a microwave (one there may be used anytime). When she asked what I needed and I expressed surprise at no refrigerator and microwave in the guest room, she quickly offered to have a small refrigerator sent to our room the next day. I accepted her offer and was glad of its use. It seems that you must request a refrigerator, and it is supplied free of charge. If you request one at the time of reservation, it should be in your room when you arrive -- wish we'd known that, but maybe this will help another traveler.

Our room was a king study -- lots of woodwork in the decor which makes for a dark room, but it was attractive. I wish it had been a little larger and lighter, but it was fine for our 4-night stay. The desk area was handy for using our laptop in the evening. When housekeeping brought the refrigerator, it was just set on the floor -- kind of low to use, but it was appreciated.

Breakfast each morning was very good for a couple on the go. At our convenience, we helped ourselves to coffee, juice, eggs, meat, make-your-own waffles, and fruit. Cold cereals, oatmeal, bread, and pastries were also available. During our stay, most of the fresh fruit was local fruit from the Mission Point Peninsula (be sure to drive up the peninsula and enjoy the view of the many orchards and vineyards). The breakfast area is very busy and can be crowded in the mornings, but we enjoyed eating and talking with other guests.

One practice that is not common to all Hampton Inn hotels is that a pending charge is placed on the credit card the day of check in for the entire estimated bill plus $50. At check out, I made sure to notice that the final charge to my bill was correct, and the credit card statement reflected the correct amount. I was initially concerned about the extra $50 of pending charge, but it was not charged to our account -- I suppose this is the hotel's practice for making sure that the guest has enough credit to cover final charges.

The hotel staff is genuinely interested in their guests and wants to ensure a good stay in the area. They are quick to offer help, information, and directions. When you return in the evening, they ask about your day and your plans for the next -- much more friendly than some places where we've stayed.

The purpose of our stay was to visit Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and the surrounding area. The weekday price that we paid for four nights at Hampton Inn Traverse City, was a good price for the accomodations, but the drive back and forth each day did cost us in time and gasoline. This hotel is actually on the end of Traverse City furtherest from SBD. Things that we enjoyed close to the hotel: the cute state park just across the street with a beach along the bay, a late afternoon drive up Mission Peninsula with a visit at Mission Point Lighthouse, a late afternoon meal and stroll in nearby Sutton's Bay. Late day/early evening strolls along the bay in the park were very relaxing, but be careful crossing the very busy highway.

One thing about the busy highway and the location of the hotel -- the building is built perpendicular to the road. Our room was halfway down the hall on an upper floor, and we heard no road noise at all. With regard to noise, the hotel was very quiet over all. The cooling system is quiet and efficient.

Something unexpected was a gift of local wine and card in our room. I had noted on the reservation request that we would be celebrating a birthday on our trip. The gift from the hotel management was certainly a nice surprise.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RetiredTravelerTN

Duns, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Sadly, the weather was awful when I stayed. Plus I was miles from my place of work while here...
The government shutdown meant parks were closed, so I ended up spending my day off in the hotel...
There is no food on the premises - you can walk a little way, or live the American dream and have pizza delivered to your room!
Rooms were ok, breakfast was a shambles, cooking your own waffle stuff, a few pastries and not enough seating. I don't want to sit with a stranger at breakfast, so I grabbed a coffee and a pastry and retreated back to my room...
Staff were great though - helpful and offered suggestions.
It's just not the sort of hotel I am used to - it's like a motel on steroids...and yes, you can smell the chlorine from the pool...

• 3 of 5 stars
Jamie H, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Traverse City, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hampton Inn of Traverse City. You are an important guest and all of your comments and feedback help us better serve you. I apologize that the breakfast area was so busy and that there was not enough seating for you. I am glad that our Front Desk Agents were able to assist you and offer suggestions . Thank you for your time and I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to better serve you in the future.