“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Toronto, Canada
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Last year we stayed at the Hampton Inn for the first time and have already booked for a return visit this August. The rooms are nicely appointed with many advantages. The location to the water and downtown is perfect. Right across the highway is a park with beach access. The continental breakfast has a very good variety of both hot and cold items. Line up at the waffle machines and make your own creation. Variety of pastries, rolls and breads. All included in the price of your room. Close to the trip up Old Mission Point where you can visit numerous wineries or purchase fresh fruit from the roadside stands. I can taste the cherries already. Give it a try and enjoy!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This hotel is across the street (a busy one) from the beach, not on it has shown on many mapping programs. You can walk down (~ one block) to a pedestrian bridge or carefully cross. I recommend the bridge with small children. The beach is nice. The rooms offer no view of the water or beach and are decorated in dark wood. Our room had one small window near the corner so the result was a room that felt like a dark cave. There are lights, but not enough and not bright enough bulbs. The only closet is a cabinet on the opposite side of the bed so you have to walk around it to hang clothes. The hanging bar was only about a foot long and faced you instead of running parallel with the wall so it becomes full with only a few items. We had a king bed and desk and the room felt crowded. The bathroom was nice, everything was clean and we had a shower only. My brother stayed in a queen room which didn't feel as crowded and had a tub but was just as dark. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were very soft so I stacked two of them to sleep. The breakfast was good with a nice selection and excellent coffee. The internet service was free, fast and reliable in the room. The staff was friendly and this was a clean room with a comfortable bed, but I was glad we only stayed for two nights. I think I would have gone and bought brighter light bulbs if we were there longer. For the price, it's a good option in Traverse City near the beach if you don't mind a dimly lit room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rameyfamily
Ada, Michigan
Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Clean rooms, good value. Location
Is easy to get to & easy to access all the fun Traverse City offers.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Alicia R
michigan
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I have stayed at this property before on business and spent one night here last week again for business. It is a nice, well maintained and managed hotel. The rooms do not have really good views out the windows but they are clean and well appointed. There is a beautiful, sandy, State Park beach right across the street which makes it a great choice. This property is located about 10 minutes from the downtown depending on traffic.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The hotel is very clean and updated. We had a corner king room with a sliver of a view of the bay. (a view of an abandoned mini golf course also) The hotel had a entire kids soccer team staying there but we did not hear anything in our room. The bed was cozy and slept like a baby! The breakfast was a little better than other hotels with cheese omlettes one day and french toast sticks the next, also sausage, waffles, fresh fruit, etc. The reasons I did not give this hotel a five star was because a key card to the room did not work when we arrived and then again the next day. Maybe not a huge deal but when you are on the 4th floor and have to keep running down to the front desk. Grr! Also the TV signal was horrible, was watching a movie and was just getting to the good part and no signal to the TV. It happened several times and the was told they were trying to switch to HD. I would stay here again despite the irritations, hoping that they would have the glitches worked out by then.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very quiet! The beach accross the road is very convienent.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nicole100k
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Hampton Inn Traverse City, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear guest,

I am Dee, General Manager at the Hampton Inn in Traverse City. I am so glad, that with a full house, none of the other guests disrupted your stay. I see we were so close to offering you a great stay! I am so sorry that we were experiencing technical difficulties with our key cards and TV programming. I know it can be frustrating when technology isn’t cooperating. We have since corrected these issues and hope no glitches on your next stay. Thank you and we hope you will consider us on your next visit in the area, we’d be very pleased to have you again.

All the best,
Dee Houghton
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Heard the reports of a 10" snowstorm approaching and I decided to lock down a room at Hampton Inn that is located across the street from the park and southern end of the west arm of Traverse Bay. Hotel was empty when I checked in. The pool was closed for scheduled maintenance as well as the sauna ... the hotel arranged reciprocity with a nearby resort but I did not choose to take advantage of that feature. Not walking distance but, close enough to the downtown district for restaurants and taverns ... the nights I was there were the last for Restaurant Week and I enjoyed a couple of venues in two night stay. I did not have a refrigerator or microwave in my room, however they do provide rooms so outfitted. I checked in on Friday night ... Saturday morning breakfast was quiet ... then all the local folks without power checked in and the place was a zoo for Saturday night and Sunday. I had a good time. The breakfasts were not as good as some of the Hamptons, however still provided a filling meal and included waffles, fruit, oatmeal, juices, breads, and the coffee/tea bar that is always open. Hampton Inn in Traverse City is a nice place to stay with friendly staff and nice facilities.

Room Tip: This hotel is set at a right angle to the waterfront across the street ... so all water views will b...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Michael T
Lansing, MI
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed at this inn several years ago and came back because of our positive stay last time. What a disappointment we had. Our room was tiny even for two people, with no place to put luggage. The closet was in the corner very close to one of the beds.The bed was comfortable and the room very quiet even though the hotel was full. The towels were old and thin and there was only one small bar of hand soap. The breakfast was pretty good but the high tables and stools left much to be desired. Check-in was fast but the young man on duty wasn't particularly friendly and at no other time during our stay did we see anyone at the front desk. No one on duty in the breakfast room either. Guess we'll go elsewhere next time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SpartanFan
goodhsi_admin1, General Manager at Hampton Inn Traverse City, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear SpartanFan,

I’m Dee, General Manager at this hotel. I would like to thank you for offering this feedback about your recent stay with us. I deeply regret that you had such a poor experience this visit. While we take every measure to ensure that our staff is always available, we evidently did not meet this expectation during your visit. We also strive for our staff to be courteous to all and both of these concerns will be discussed with our staff. Thank you for complimenting the continental breakfast and comfortable bedding. I am also sorry the size of your room was not to your liking. We would look forward to possibly booking another room type such as a king studio or study for you if you were to give us another opportunity. I hope that you’ll stay with us on your next visit so we can make this up to you. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel at (231)946-8900.

Dee Houghton