“Rude, Disrespectful, Overpriced Craphole”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #37 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Where do i begin? My wife and I drove up to Traverse City for my step son’s graduation. We reserved the room over a week advance through choice hotels. When we arrive after a 20 hour drive exhausted from the road there is a sign on the door that read no valency's. My wife went in and the front desk told her because we arrived later and she had a wedding party arrived looking for rooms she rented them out. She said she did have one room with a faulty air conditioner that she moved people from and she would set us up in that room. We took all our luggage up-to the room and turned on the air because the room was very hot being on the second floor above the heated pool area, then we proceed to the MC Donald's down the road to get some food. When we returned the room was even hotter as the air was coming out hot not cold. It wasn't real bad outside so we opened the window but it would only open around three inches. It’s like cracking an open window in a smothering car, doesn't do much good without circulation. We figured it would cool down sooner or later and we lay down without covers. After a few hours of sweating and tossing in bed my wife finally called the front desk to complain. The lady came up with a fan asked to come in, agreed it was extremely hot in the room and checked the air herself and apologized for everything and told us unfortunately no management would be in until Monday and we need to defiantly talk to them because she had to move someone from that room a few days before for the same reason. The fan in front the window cooled he room fast and at 4:30am we finally were able to get to sleep. Then at around 9:15am i am woken in my birthday suit to housekeeping walking into our room. Checkout time is 11am. Again my wife called the front desk to complain but again the response was "management won’t be here to Monday". So we pack everything up in the morning because we expected a new room Sunday. Sunday night was much better. Monday checkout came and my wife asked to speak to management but the front desk said he was much to busy on important phone calls and would be better for her to call in an hour or so. He called her and was very rude telling her it was too cold outside and she was lying about everything. He basically said he would give her 20% off Saturday night and hung up. I was not happy with his accusations and it wasn't about the money as my wife is a nurse and i am a network engineer and we are not concerned about the money. It was the whole situation and the way we were treated that was the issue. I told my wife to call Choice because they would make sure the hotel was following the choice hotel standards and these issues should be looked into further including the fact that management flat out called my wife a liar like she was trying to get a free ride. A few days later management emails my wife and insults her and calls her a liar again and tells her to prove her accusations. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in my stay, management, and choice hotels and I will never step foot into this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't waist your time and money... Go somewhere else..
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank JamieGraham
TCEcono, Owner at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Reviewer is reporting what is wife told him. Review of front desk video footage with audio tells a different story.

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were very disappointed! Very run down place! Bed and pillows wore out along with everything else! Bedding was not clean and pillows smelled bad! Will never stay here again and was way overpriced. $50 a night room at that!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maryfox97
TCEcono, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay. We just replaced all of our pillows two months ago. I will look into this matter.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We had a suite with king bed in one room and fold out sofa in other. Room was small but adequate. Relatively clean. No frills. The bathroom exhaust fan was NOISY. I would stay there again because it was cheap for the area. The pool/hot tub area was small but ok. The breakfast area was small.

Room Tip: Suite 300 was the room we were in. Quiet location in hotel but upstairs with no elevator.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cossondra

Thank you for choosing the Traverse City Econolodge. And thank you for alerting us to the problem you experienced with the bathroom fan. This information has been forwarded to our maintenance man to be addressed. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Needed a place to stay in my old hometown... came across Econo lodge and the kids and I loved it! Clean room, good breakfast, and of course INDOOR POOL!. We will definitely go back and stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MykeeG
TCEcono, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Traverse City Econo Lodge. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here in January and the rooms were disgusting. We had candy wrappers from a previous guest in one bed under the blankets (apparently the cleaning staff didn't feel the need to at least take them off the bed before making it which also means the sheets weren't changed). The other bed had blood or crap ( literally) in multiple spots on the blanket. When walking in to the room the box spring was covered in red stains and since the sheets don't cover it or hang over the first mattress, it was clearly never scrubbed off. If you are going to have red stained mattresses at least put a sheet over it. The other room had a leak in the window and since the heater was right under the window and it had cold water dripping on it, it never turned off all night and was miserable. When we told the front desk, she didn't offer to move my other family members (too many people for just one room). The next morning when a complaint was made again, the front desk said no one was supposed to be out in that room and we were moved. So this is poor communication between management and staff. The shower in one room only had one temperature which was burning hot and the drain had rust on it. Then the next morning there was a sewage backup in the hotel. The TVs were updated so that was a plus but I would not stay here again. I'd rather pay 50 dollars more and stay at another hotel. I wasn't expecting much for the price but I do not expect to have to worry about cleanliness. It has poor management. And poor expectations of the staff to keep it clean.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank liannamulka
TCEcono, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

We regret that an ice jam (an act of nature) caused a leak in a room and have addressed this issue. While a few rooms did encounter some plumbing issues on the morning this party checked out, the matter was addressed and it did not effect any of the rooms of this guest or their companions. We take our guests satisfaction and concerns very seriously and as a result, all the rooms inhabited by this party were personally inspected by myself, our front desk manager and our head housekeeper and we found no evidence of any of the other issues raised. We underwent an independent inspection on November 28, 2012 and our scores in all areas, including housekeeping, received scores that exceed the standards established by Choice Hotels International.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is exactly what you would expect for $44 a night. Lady at the from desk was nice and the property is clean, Pool/spa area is in rough shape. Room was what I expected, servicable for a night or two but not the place you want to stay for long.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
TCEcono, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Traverse City Econo Lodge. Due to the large usage during the summer months, our pool and spa area are repainted at least once every year during the off-season. This will be occuring again in the near future. Over the last few years we have installed new carpet throughout the facility as well as replaced wallpaper throughout the builidng. Our wifi service has been recently been expanded to make it available in every room. We are currently in the process of upgrading all of our TV's to flat screens.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

After staying at this hotel, it became obvious to me that this is a "Party Hotel" There were several rooms of very noisy partiers. I brought this to the attention of hotel staff twice and nothing was done. The noise continued until about 3:30 am. When I went to check out, there was nobody at the front desk. It took about 10 minutes of waiting for the front desk person to arrive in order to check out. This hotel and its management are a disgrace to the EconoLodge brand and should not be allowed to continue business as part of the Choice Hotels group

Room Tip: Any room at this hotel will have lots of noise coming in from all the partiers that stay here
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank alexr79
TCEcono, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

We are sorry that the behavior of other guests you were attending a wedding was a disturbance to you. The guests in question quieted down when asked and our staff person patrolled the halls throughout the night without incident. We did not have any complaints from other guests.