“Nice 1-Night Stay, Reasonable Summer Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Traverse City

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Traverse City
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Brighton, MI
“Nice 1-Night Stay, Reasonable Summer Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night (Friday) in August. Reasonable rate for a summer weekend night. Excellent Full Hot Breakfast - my only complaint would be that it ends early (9:30 AM) for a weekend. Clean room. 2 Queen Beds. Central location.

• 3 of 5 stars
mkbtcmi, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Traverse City, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Country Inn & Suites for your stay in Traverse City. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay! Nothing pleases us more than satisfied guests! Looking forward to seeing you in the future! Thank you again, and have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Mackinac Island, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

While the stay was fine and service okay, the bed was HORRIBLE. Next time I'll be happy to stay at the Hampton Inn. The room was clean but nothing special as the courtyard view was less than impressive. I guess you get what you pay for.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mr615
Thank you for choosing The Country Inn & Suites for your stay in Traverse City. I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay, it is very important to us that every one of our guest enjoy their time here. I understand we do not have the most scenic views from our hotels; we are working on ways to liven it up. Our beds we just replaced all between 2010 and 2013 with pillow-top mattresses. We are continuing to improve our property as the season allows, with more expected to be done this winter. Thank you for your comments it is important to us so we know what we need to improve on. We hope you consider us for a second chance the next time your travels bring you to Traverse City.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Was recommended to stay here by a former coworker who works in the area. Upon arrival, we could tell by the exterior that it was still in the process of being updated as well as some of the hallways. That aside, we stayed in a suite and it was fabulous! It was much larger than anticipated and having the fridge and microwave was a big bonus for us. We slept in so we missed out on the breakfast, but our experience overall was wonderful. We will definitely be staying here in the future.

• Stayed August 2013
South Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stay here just one night the customer service was excellent. My wife forgot her travel pillow I called them the next day not expecting much. To my surpise housekeeping had turned it in with our room number on it. They shipped it to our house the next day. This is the first hotel I have ever stayed at that this has happened.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are and quiet they are off the main road.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Macomb, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We tried to check in early and both of our rooms were not ready yet. The front desk clerk recommended Bubba's restaurant for lunch which was fantastic. We came back an hour later to see if our rooms were ready yet. The same clerk said I am sorry your room is still not ready I will have housekeeping clean it immediately. Working in the hotel industry I know she should had communicated this to the Housekeeping Department when we were out at lunch. All we wanted to do was drop of the luggage and hit the Wineries. So we had to sit in their parking lot for another 30 minutes until the rooms were ready. The rooms were spacious and clean but you can tell the owner skipped out on remodeling the rooms fully. The wallpaper was placed over the holes in room 103 and there use to be a picture over the desk as you can see the wall anchor were the picture use to be. Again I am in the Hotel Industry so I notice more things than the average guest. Things like this annoy me and shows the Owner or General Manager is not paying attention to details.

The next morning I went to fill up my two ice bags with ice. The ice machine in my building did not work. I went to report this to the front desk clerk that checked me in yesterday and she informed me I could use the one in the Suites Building. That one did not work either. The sign on the Ice Machine in the Suites Building read Do Not Fill up your Coolers with ICE. Obviously getting to these machines by 8 am the Beach Goers filled up their coolers with Ice and left none for the rest of us.

The Breakfast attendants and Breakfast Area were the best part of our stay. You can tell the owner put all of their money into renovating the Lobby and Breakfast Area. Mark and Patty were delightful. I saw Mark walking around with a coffee pot talking to guest and refilling their coffee mugs. Patty was clearing the dishes and talking with the guest as well. She also let the guest know there was additional seating on the outdoor patio. I informed Mark if my issue with the ice machines and he called maintenance immediately to fix the issue. The Front Desk Clerk never did this or offered to have maintenance fix the issue. The Breakfast Buffett had Waffles, Scrambled Eggs, Sausage, Potatoes, Cereals Hot and Cold,etc.

I would neither book here or not book here again if I was in Traverse City. The owners or management team need to retrain the Front Desk Clerk I was dealing with on the 7 am to 3 pm shift on Friday, August 23rd and Saturday, August 24th. When checking out she told me I do not get a receipt because I booked on line. I did book on your website but she made it sound like I booked on Expedia or Priceline. Just proved to me that she needs further training and I hope that they will spend time with her and train her.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Jerseyboyinmi
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Arrived late in Traverse city and started motel hoping checking out vacancy and rates. Either it was ridiculously high or the place didn't look to appealing. Finally we ran into country inns advertising newly remodeled. Boy did we lucked out! The price was great and to top it off it was a suite with 2 huge beds and a pull out. The rooms were so nice and clean and spacious. Everyone was so friendly and helpfulll. They had free hot breakfast with waffles, eggs and sausage and so much more! We definitely got our money's worth with 3 boys who are big eaters! We would definitely come back again and recommend this place!

1 Thank jaybot007
Fox River Grove, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We only sent the one night at this motel. When I reserved the room I requested a King. When checking in I was told it was a queen and that they did not see my request in the system. That was fine I can sleep in a queen for a night. But on entering the room I was immediately hit with the smell of cigarette smoke even though this is a no smoking motel. The room also looked and felt worn. I walked down to the desk and the two ladies working apologized and offered to change rooms. I accepted and was presently surprised that they put me in a suite with a whirlpool tub. The room was much nicer and looked recently renovated.
I want to thank those two people for making my stay very comfortable!!
They also had a very nice and large pool that I am sorry I did not get to use:(