“Great experience but caution”
Review of Park Place Hotel

Park Place Hotel
Ranked #33 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Montague
“Great experience but caution”
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

The location is superb. Downtown TC is a delight. My room was a corner in the historic, taller building. I am very grateful for that. The view, lighting and room were excellent. However, one room over and the view would have been an intensely lit parking lot across the street. One step in the other direction would have been a view of another parking lot. So I consider myself very fortunate. Definitely ask about the view because it has much to do with the value of the room for the rate paid. The staff were accommodating and I appreciated that after a long travel day. The bedding in this room was excellent - very comfortable. The beachfront properties in TC are not really within walking distance of the downtown restaurants and shops, and the Park Place is definitely within walking distance. But the downside is the rate and the limited views in many rooms.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Markey2
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
On behalf of the Park Place Hotel, we would like to thank you for your visit and comments. The hotel is always striving to improve our guest's experience and we hope that if you return to Traverse City, you will choose the Park Place Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed in the west wing (vs the historic tower). I wish the hotel's website would have noted that there is a difference between the two. I reviewed photos of the hotel and rooms but the outside views of the hotel only show the historic tower so I didn't realize the west wing actually sits (low, only 3 or 4 stories) above the parking lot. While you do get a balcony, your view is poor (you'll see the parking lot and buildings, not the water). Think of the west wing as an add-on above the parking lot. It's separate from the fitness center, Minervas and Beacon Lounge, which are all part of the historic tower.
Finally, Beacon Lounge is incredibly small. We tried to get a drink there (in an attempt to get the view I was wanting) but the lounge was full- I don't think more than 30 people could fit in the tiny room and there was no where to even stand for a drink.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor in the historic tower if you want a view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kerry R
We would like to thank you for your visit to the Park Place Hotel and your comments. We will try to expand our photo gallery to better serve our future visitors and hope that you can return in the future.
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband attended a two-day seminar at the Park Place Hotel. I went along to "play". I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The staff was marvelous and responded very quickly and was extremely courteous and helpful when I dropped and broke my travel mirror. But, the service in the Hotel's restaurant for breakfast was deplorable. I thought on the first day, it was because I was a single middle-aged woman (I had hoped most restaurants and servers had gotten over that); but on the second day it was just as bad. Both the single gentleman seated next to me and I had requested English Muffins. Both were served without butter or jam. I requested both as did he. I received mine, he did not. Finally, I gave him the remainder of my butter so he could butter his muffin before it got cold. By the time he received his butter his muffin would have been stone cold.

Room Tip: My husband made the arrangements through the association who hosted the seminar, ergo I have no tips...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank MariannLitz
parkplace1, Front Office Manager at Park Place Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
We would like to thank your for your visit to the Park Place Hotel and our restaurant. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations in the restaraunt and will notify the Food and Beverage manager of your situation so he can remedy the issues your bought up for any future guests.
Crown Point, Indiana
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Traverse City for one night during our honeymoon road trip. What a beautiful view from our corner room on the 6th floor! We had a great dinner and lunch the next day in the hotel restaurant Minerva's. We watched the sun set from the bar/lounge on the top floor while listening to a live musician. Strolled through the shopping district and had ice cream in the evening after dinner, everything easily within walking distance which was nice. We were greeted very pleasantly on several occasions by the general manager herself. We can't wait to go back and stay longer!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank enjoyasmile
We would like to thank you for your visit and comments about the Park Place Hotel. We look forward to your return visit in the future!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Traverse City is a wonderful place to visit, and this hotel really in a perfect location in the heart of downtown. The Park Place is a nice hotel - the accommodations are comfortable and the rooms were clean. Our only disappointment was how unfriendly and unwelcoming the staff were. Most people in northern Michigan are as nice as can be so the hotel must have to search high and low for the rudest people to employ. Jerry, a supervisor, checked us in and must set the tone the rest of the staff. He seemed pained to answer any question and couldn't have been more unpleasant. I think hotel management would be well-served to focus on customer service!

Room Tip: Don't waste money on a partial lake view room in the tower - all you're going to see is the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WMICHBEN
On behalf of the Park Place Hotel, we want to thank your for your visit to the hotel. Then mangement strives to give the best customer service everyday and we are sorry that it was not done in your case. We pride ourselves in welcoming all guests to the hotel and will use your comments to improve our service in the future.
Essexville, Michigan
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed at Park Place, loved the downtown location. Staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms in the historic area awesome. Thanks for the great stay. Would definitely stay at the Park Place again.
Rooms very clean and staff very frinedly. All within walking distance to some wonderful stores.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your visit to Traverse City and your nice comments. We look forward to your return visit to Traverse City!
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Park Place offers the best non-beach location in town. Walk to many good restaurants and shops. Hotel disappointed in one respect - I had been assured when making our reservation (for two rooms) that we would get a room in the original building and not the "Wing". Upon check-in we were put in the Wing. I should have made a fuss but didn't. I will make certain to mention it when making next reservation. Hence, the poor "Service " rating.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your visit and comments. We are sorry that your request was not accomodated. We always try to accomodate every guest's requests and hope that you will try the Park Place Hotel again when you visit Traverse City.