“Charming and Delightful!”
Review of Whispering Waters

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Traverse City
Whispering Waters
Ranked #9 of 18 Traverse City B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Charming and Delightful!”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed last October for the first time and we are coming back next week. We loved it and will try to return every year. We stayed in the cabin which was so cozy. The skylights in the loft are perfect for star gazing in bed. The property couldn't have been more beautiful. My husband loves to fish and can't wait to fish the river right outside our cabin door. Breakfast was yummy and Brian was the perfect host.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MaryBeth050

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Winnetka, Illinois
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Every year husband and I spend many nights in B&Bs around the country. Whispering Waters has won our award for favorite. The property is beautiful and tranquil, the accommodations are spotless, comfortable, and tastefully decorated. We could do the touristy things quite easily from there. It was especially nice to be well away from the vacationing crowds while enjoying Whispering Waters refreshing setting, complete with a nightly lightning bug show....which was something to behold!

Room Tip: It looked to us as though any of the rooms would be lovely. The cottage was charming.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JB7274
Lititz PA
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I agree with all of the previous reviewers! My husband and I recently went on a 9 day tour of Michigan staying in B & Bs on each of the Lake shores. This was our final stop. Although they were all good places to stay, this was the most private and relaxing! We stayed in the Spring House and enjoyed all of its amenities. The breakfasts and conversations with Brian, our host, were very good, As another reviewer said, they were not gourmet which is actually what we preferred. Simple, filling and delicious. Our favorite part of the stay was the surroundings. We wandered the fields looking at birds, sat on the lovely deck on the Boardman River and took advantage of the hot tub by the stream. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys the relaxing retreat of communing with nature and still being 10 minutes from the fun town of Traverse City with the excellent places to eat and window shop, along with wineries and views on the peninsula. We can't wait to go back and are hoping to convince our siblings to have our next reunion there. Thanks Brian!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank loveourtrips
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Driving down the grassy lane toward the property was the perfect introduction to this beautiful B&B. We enjoyed just wandering around the grounds, looking at the flowers, sitting near the river, and petting the cats. We stayed in the main house, which was very clean, cozy, and had lots of character. Our host, Brian, was informative, accommodating, and extremely helpful. We also had a great time just chatting and sharing stories with him! Did I mention he made a delicious breakfast? There is lots to do in the Traverse City area, whatever you like to do. We went wine tasting, visited the dunes, and enjoyed the great restaurants. It was the perfect location, only about ten minutes from Traverse City, but we still felt like we were out in the country. I highly recommend this B&B and hope you have as great a time as we did!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amykilpatrick2
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stumbled upon Whispering Waters on tripadvisor while searching for a bed and breakfast that my girlfriend and I could stay at while in Traverse City over Memorial Day weekend. All the reviews seemed positive, and the atmosphere sounded on par with what we were looking for over the weekend - a chance to get away from the stresses of our lives in Chicago. What we experienced far exceeded anything I could have imagined getting out of a bed and breakfast.

We stayed in the cabin; if you're contemplating this versus the Spring House, do yourself a favor and select the cabin (that is, unless you have trouble climbing steep stairs or ladders). If you're looking for a romantic and private getaway, I can't imagine a more intimate experience. You're given your very own, and very original and quaint, old cabin, with its own yard, fire pit, and deck on the Boardman river. Imagine if you will: waking up in the sleeping loft with the windows cracked, seeing the early morning sun out of the skylights in the gables of the sleeping loft and listening to the variety of wild birds chirp. You climb the steps and start your pot of coffee, which you'll drink while sitting on the screened-in porche swing. This experience is advertised in many places, but rarely do you experience it in such purity as you do in Whispering Waters.

In addition, there are horses they pasture, an extra deck on the river for everyone's use as well as a larger fire pit - in case you're feeling outgoing towards the other guests - a path leading through the woods behind the meadow, and a gorgeous main house to lounge in if you so desire.

Brian and Juli are wonderful and down to earth; they're the perfect hosts for such an experience: passionate enough about the place they created, yet unobtrusive enough to let you enjoy it. Brian makes a great meal for you in the morning. It's not gourmet, which is honestly what we preferred: simple and delicious.

With as unique and natural an experience as this was, certain quirks were expected. For instance, the water in the cabin was well water and had a high iron content so it smell pretty metallic. Yet, they countered this by supplying a water cooler for drinking purposes, and the water was instantly hot thanks to a great water heater. Our towels smelled a bit mildewed when we arrived, but I told Brian and he apologetically and quickly replaced them for us. I felt bad for asking, to be honest, because everything else was so... perfect to what we had really wanted our trip to be.

Brian and Juli have created a place so magical, it transcends anything someone could merely produce. They planted a great foundation for the Michigan countryside to fill it in, add the depth of originality, and rejuvenate the soul with the natural qualities the vast majority of us lack in our daily lives. I left far more relaxed than I ever could have at any fancy spa I've been to; so relaxed that it was incredibly hard to leave.

So do yourself a favor: go to Whispering Waters. And make sure you "breathe in" the environment: sit in the meadow during dusk and watch the sun leave the trees, light a fire in the fire pit and listen to the river rushing by, and take in all the nature that surrounds you. If you don't, then you're not getting the full experience.

Room Tip: The cabin books up fast, so reserve early!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SDimmic
Indiana
Reviewed August 10, 2010

If I am ever back in Traverse City, this is 100% where I will stay again. It is about 15 minutes from downtown, but it seems like you're off the map. It is very quiet--tranquil woods with no internet and only one shared tv in a "public room". But it has 40 acres of woods, you can wade the Boardman River, and it has a sauna and hot tub. Brian, the live-in caretaker, is an engaging man who cooks wonderful breakfasts.

If you are going to Traverse specifically to play on the somewhat-crowded beach or to browse the fudge and souvenir shops, you might want something in town. But if you are a bed/breakfast person who likes a beautiful log home with stone fireplace surrounded by comfort and serenity, you'll stay here.

Also, about 8 miles from Interlochen. If you are attending a concert or dropping off/picking up a child, this is a good location.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My stay here was all too short. I barely had time to sample the fishing, put the binoculars on a few birds, take some photos and read a couple books before I had to leave. Brian is an excellent host, the breakfast was good (even though I left too early for the "full" meal) and I can't think of a more relaxing night's sleep. The lttle brook outside your open window will get you to dreamland quickly. Spend at least two nights here, I wish I had...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo