“Great rooftop, good food, ok service”
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #25 of 308 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Chicago, IL
“Great rooftop, good food, ok service”
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Dined here for dinner last week while vacationing in northern MI. The rooftop is impressive, although they would benefit from heaters. Service was slow. No Sauvignon blanc by the glass? Strange. Apps were really good, pretzel and cheese curds. Hamburgers very good, fish and chips ok. Lobster roll was special that night but by the time our server was finally ready to take our order; she told us they had just sold out.

Visited July 2014

Amherst, Ohio
“Not for the Family!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Very nice views from the upper outside deck. The restaurant is clean and decor is very nice. But the menu is sparse and definitely not a place to go with the family. Service was fine on our visit but the prices were high for the food served. I ordered the Lobster soup and found no Lobster? Everything had an "up charge" so be careful as the bill added up quite quickly!!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank wvgm
“Franklin's street view from deck is marvelous”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our night out at the Franklin and the fantastic street view from the upper patio. After viewing a film at the TCFF, we went down there for a light supper and adult beverage and really enjoyed it. Not only did we have great service, even if there was some sprinkles of rain, but our waitress was friendly and funny. The beer selection is expansive and I ordered a French martini which they put their own spin on. Really tasty. Our food choices were the El Cubano, lamb burger and Thai chicken salad. All were super tasty and enjoyed the soup of the day along with the sides of plantains and beets. The prices were reasonable for a nice restaurant and we did not experience any of the issues mentioned. The experience is really what you make of it and we were impressed with this new start up. Thank you for a great evening!

Visited July 2014
Traverse City, Michigan
“Great Service SoSo Menu”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I try to give every us invests a second chance to impress me, especially a new one. Unfortunately, The Franklin did not succeed after their second chance. I dined twice for lunch, so I base my review only on those experiences.
The service, I will say is extremely good. The staff is very well trained and anticipates or asks about all your needs. But I did not go there just for the good service. The location of the restaurant and it's Hip vibe are the draw as it is new to Traverse City. Plus, it has an upper deck / patio for al fresco / outside dining.
Now to the SoSo Menu.... I choose he word SoSo for lack of a better word.
There are some choices that sound very interesting and others that make no sense whatsoever.
The menu for lunch appears to be the same for dinner.
It is an adequate menu as far as choices go. I hate to see too large a menu for multiple reasons.
The Salad & Pasta choices are offered to be serve red with a choice of protein (for an up charge) of smoked trout, grilled chicken, and duck confit. Have you ever seen spaghetti (yes, with red, very tomatoey sauce) served with any of those? So, my friend had no protein with lunch when she ordered. I had the House salad with the smoked trout as that choice seemed to be the only thing that would go with the trout. I wanted to try that and was deeply disappointed. I had to have the trout replaced with the chicken. On another visit I ordered the Lobster soup and Pepperoni flatbread (basically a pizza). I did not find any bits of Lobster in my thin, broth like soup and little of anything else, including flavor. The flatbread had a nice crisp crust, but was lacking in flavor also. My dining partner had a Thai noodle salad with chicken and she said she would not order it again.
Unfortunately, and sadly, I have to say that I will not recommend this establishment for dining.
It does have an impressive bar are and hopefully the cocktails will be more satisfying. I suppose if you have a few cocktails, if satisfying, then the food won't matter....

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank ConnieR731
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Wine and Appetizers five o'clock”
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous new restaurant heart of downtown Traverse City. Stopped in for early drinks and a bite. Great street level bar seating area . Second floor open roof top seating . Street views and a view of West Bay. Deep wine list , special cocktails. Best part- the food. Crab cakes pure crab with a side of fresh tomatoes, onion, peppers In a smooth Taragon mustard sauce. Paired with the Heirloom tomatoe flatbread , fabulous . Can't wait to bring guests here