“Not worth the money”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Traverse City
Timber Ridge RV & Recreation Resort
Ravenna, Nebraska
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We stayed in one of the hightly touted 'park models' for $170 night for a family reunion. We had 4 kids, plus my husband and I. Upon checking in, we discovered HAIR COVERED sheets on the queen bed (which was supposed to be unsheeted as everyone is told to bring their own bedding). Going up to the "loft" (actually a crawl space above the main area), I discovered a queen size air mattress. The website specifically says there are two twin beds up there, so twin bedding is what I toted 18 1/2 hours across the US to bring. I then went to my cousin's 'park model' only to discover that it was much larger than ours, and it not only had a pull out sofa, but two recliners in the so-called living room. It also had two rooms in the 'loft' (which was still just a crawl space), and a double bed as well as a twin bed. They had plenty of room for the 4 people who were staying in their space, and paid the same as we did.

I went to the lodge to speak to someone and was told they would come down and remove the HAIR COVERED sheets (only later when I swept did I come to the conclusion from the PILES of dog hair I swept up, that the sheets were also covered in dog hair -- dogs are supposedly PROHIBITED in the park models -- and you'd think someone would have swept between customer visits). They also gave me sheets for the queen size air mattress -- sheets that didn't fit the extra high bed. When I asked about the discrepancy between the sizes of and amenities in the 'park models', I was simply told they "differ some". No kidding. They did eventually replace the queen size air mattress with two twin mattresses so my sons could actually use the sheets they brought.

And speaking of mattresses, I think they were left over from some long ago closed, cheap motel. You could feel the coils in the mattress, and could press the mattress (both the twins and the mattress on the sofa bed) so far down, you could almost feel the floor. As a matter of fact, one of my kids slept on the floor because it was more comfortable than sleeping with coils in her back. However, the carpet on the "loft" steps and in the "loft" itself, had obviously not been vacuumed in several weeks. There were dust bunnies and dead bugs all over.

They DEFINITELY need a new cleaning staff. I am by no means a clean freak, but even I would have been embarrassed to have someone over to my house with it looking like this. The deep window sills hadn't been wiped down in God knows how long, they were covered in a layer of dust -- and more dog hair! The shower didn't drain, so we stood in 2 inches of water to shower every day.

When we checked out, we told them all about the cleaning and the shower drain, and all we got in return was, "if you had said something, we would have sent someone down to unclog the drain". I was FULLY expecting a discount due to our miserable accomodations from start to finish, but only got a blank stare.

The only reason I give this expensive place 2 stars instead of 1 was because the kids did have fun in the pool, renting the bikes (for extra cost), and playing dodgeball. I would NEVER stay here again, nor recommend someone else stay here -- especially for $170/night. I could have stayed in a much cleaner place for a lot less money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank RollingSuburban5

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Michigan
Reviewed July 22, 2010

This was our first trip with a camper to vacation in Traverse City. What a great location, just a few minutes from all the action in TC. The campground has a great trail system that meets up with the VASA trail, so you can hike and ride forever! They have a lot of fun camping activities going on all day for the kids (dodgeball, pool games, wagon rides), beautiful pool. For those who don't have campers, you can rent cute cottages. This place has the best of both worlds, camping in the woods with quiet and action in the city.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Best Western Plus Traverse City
Best Western Plus Traverse City
#2 of 40 in Traverse City
West Bay Beach, a Holiday Inn Resort

Been to Timber Ridge RV & Recreation Resort? Share your experiences!