“Great Family Memories”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Traverse City
Timber Ridge RV & Recreation Resort
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed 4 nights during the week before the Cherry Festival. It was the first camping trip with our 3 kids who are 4, 3, and 15 months. Everyone had a great time and we can't wait to go again.

We stayed in the loft style deluxe cabin. It had a double-bed lower bunk with a single upper bunk. There was also a loft with 2 more single mattresses. There was an overhead light, window, and outlet in the loft. There was a bathroom with a shower and a kitchen with small fridge, microwave, coffee pot, and a two-burner hot plate. There was also a small table that folded up against the wall.

The 2 older kids stayed in the loft and were excited to have their own space. The baby stayed in a play-yard we brought. With the table folded up we had just enough room. We used the top single bunk for storage. There were also 3 drawers under the lower bunk that we did not use. The double bed mattress was really firm. It felt like one of those exercise mats at a gymnasium. After the first night we bought an air mattress to put on the bed. That was a big improvement.

There was a small window air conditioner that came in handy the first day when it was almost 90F. The a/c did a great job of keeping the place cool. Later in the week it was in the upper 40's at night. The cabin was a little cool, but we were all comfortable. There was plenty of hot water for 2 adults to shower and still wash up the dishes. The shower nozzle was just under 6 ft high and the total ceiling height in the shower was just over 6 ft. Worked out well for us, but it you are tall this may not be the place for you.

The cabin was well equipped. You would only really need bedding, towels, and your personal items. We brought some of our own supplies (portable gas grill,and other cooking supplies). Not because we needed to,we just like it. It was good that we did. The hotplate was not very good for boiling water. After about 10 minutes on high the water was barely warm. We also had one minor electrical problem with the bathroom lighting. Maintenance came about 15 minutes later and had it quickly resolved.

The camp store was well equipped and overall the campground was very clean. No trash on any of the empty sites. It was very quiet during the week. But was getting busier as the weekend got closer. There were lots of things for the kids to do. The play equipment was broken in some places (slides). There were no baby swings, but there was an empty swing frame. That is our only real complaint.

Looking forward to the next trip. The rates drop A LOT right after Labor Day. Be sure to check it out.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

This is a huge campground they must have 400 spaces seems to be well-run Lotta fun Lotta people having fun and surprisingly quiet for many people that are there they have many bicycle trails around here and in the winter time they have the Iceman bike race which is pretty cool too

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I am a very seasoned traveler and can be a tough person to please. But, I can't say enough about this place and those who manage it. We have stayed in summer and winter and have never been disappointed. We stayed Thanksgiving one year & the staff made sure I had everything needed to make a full holiday dinner. Since then, we have made it a Thanksgiving tradition & now Christmas. The holidays here are wonderful. Every cabin we've had has been cozy and comfortable---like bringing home with us, only better. The location couldn't be better, as we feel we are in the woods but only a short drive from anything and everything. The people are so friendly--make us feel like family. And, the one time something did go wrong, they were on top of things and went above and beyond to make everything right. We love Traverse City but we love Timber Ridge just as much. Going to Traverse City just wouldn't be the same without staying at Timber Ridge. We won't stay anywhere else when we go.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2013

First off, to understand my feelings about lodging away from home, see my bio.

Myself and my wife decided to take a small, 3 day, 2 night trip up to Traverse for some color touring on October 23 / 25th. As usual I made our reservations before we left, My reason for choosing this place was that it was a cabin, a ways out of town and had a firepit. I wanted a campfire in the evening after a day of cruising around in the truck, taking photo's.

So anyhow, we got to the campground about noon or so. Signed in and went to see our digs. It was a nice little cabin, but with the weather in the high 30's and only a small space heater to keep the place warm, it was colder than h*** in there. So, we turned on the space heater and headed out for the day to take photos. After a full afternoon of touring and an excellent meal at La Senorita's we headed back out to our cabin in the sticks, assuming that it'd be warm after having the heater on for close to 8 hours. Imagine our surprise when we walked into the cabin and found it still cold as h***.

Holding onto a good thought, I went outside and proceeded to start a fire, while the wife got things around in the cabin. We spent the next several hours, huddled around the firepit as the cabin was way too cold to be comfortable to sit in, even with long underwear.

Eventually I ran out of firewood and retired to the cabin. The wife was already huddled in the bed, trying to get / stay warm. I attempted the same and all the during the night we slept fitfully due to the cold. By the time I finally gave up and got up about 6am I had decided to find somewhere else to stay the second night......

I was not a happy camper by morning. I had paid $75.00 a night for a cabin that basically doubled as a meat locker. The rinky dink little space heater was completely insuffucient for keeping the bathroom warm let alone the entire cabin. Now it was the end of October and it was cold and snowy, but I don't think it's too much to ask for heat if you're paying 75.00 a night.

Along with the complete lack of heat, the cabin didn't look like the pic on their website either, which wouldn't be a big deal if I wasn't already ticked off about spending so much and getting so little.

The lighting in the cabin sucked too. We had one overhead light that was too dim to read by comfortably. Had the cabin been warm enough to stay in, instead of having to huddle around the firepit, I'd have wanted to read until bedtime and it would've been impossible to do that with the dim lighting. There were no lamps anywhere to move into a position that I could read, just the dim overhead.

The final capper was when trying to get out of the bedroom, from the far side of the room. There was about 3 inches of floor space between the end of the bed and the wall and as I scooched along the wall to get out of the room without waking the wife I caught my shirt on the sharp metal switchplate on the lightswitch and tore a hole in one of my favorite shirts along with leaving a sizeable scratch on my gut that bled for awhile. At that point I was pissed about the whole experience and decided we'd go somewhere else for the second night.

So, after we'd found a new place to stay along the main drag in town, we went back to get our stuff, then went up to the lodge to drop off the key and let them know I was NOT a happy camper.
The lady there at that point wasn't the owner and all she could say was, "gee, I'm sorry". No offers to refund our second night and when I suggested that'd be the thing to do she said she couldn't do that. So rather than waste more time on this boondoggle I said "fine, you won't see us here again and Trip Advisor will hear about our crappy stay" and headed out the door to do what we'd come to the area to do.

In closing....This may be a nice place to stay during the warmer parts of the year. I don't know and probably never will now as it'd be a cold day in h*** before I go back there ever again. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect heat in a cabin that I'm paying 75 bucks a night for, no matter the time of year.....that factor, along with the poor lighting AND the unsafe switchplate fiasco AND the overpriced firewood I bought to have my much looked forward to campfire (4 pieces of hardwood for 5 bucks) gives this place a rating in my book of 2 stars and I'm feeling generous tonight cuz I'm home and warm again, or it'd be 1 star. I should've checked Trip Advisor first I guess to see that there are other issues that we didn't get to experience thankfully, but I didn't and I paid the price.

The final kicker was the place we found to stay the second night was 30 bucks cheaper, was WARM and to add insult to injury, they had a firepit too! So instead of spending 90 bucks for two nights at a real nice place with a firepit and a friendly host who went out of her way to make sure we were warm enough, I spent almost 200 bucks, thanks to not being able to get a refund after bascially getting screwed.

I'm sending my review to them and the Better Business Bureau too so if they care maybe they'll do something about the situation so the next person doesn't have to go thru what we did. Maybe they'll send me a refund for my second night too! Yeah right......It's not like they used any of the money on heat.

Sign me, NOT a happy camper with this outfit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tom E
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was a great little place to stay while in TC. It was pretty close together for camping but I'm used to more wilderness and less town. Everything was pretty clean though on occasion they were having issues with the toilets plugging up but they cleaned thoroughly after fixing them. Everything is old, painted and repainted and repainted, and they've tried hard to keep it current but honestly this place is past its prime. The putt putt they advertise? Taken out and turned into a fish pond but they don't rent fishing equipment. Climbing wall for the kids? Broken unless you have someone to boost you about 7 feet. Some staff was better than others. There was a very cool evening teen glow in the dark dodge ball and the children seemed to enjoy that though one of my boys was injured by broken sticks in the sand pit and they have to play barefoot. Quiet time is 10 pm but the staff "cleaning" the ball pit still kept the loud music blaring throughout the campground until sometimes after 11 pm. It's tucked away from the town and the bay so now great sunsets over the water like the city park but overall I'm still glad we stayed here. Road noise was non-existant except for those driving through the campground so once things settled down, it was quieter than the one in town likely was. If you are looking for a quiet getaway...pick somewhere else. Want to spend time in TC and get a decent night's sleep after 11 pm, then stay here. Have kids? Stay here if they like dodge ball and buying glow in the dark things from the store for the "glow in the dark" parade. It's very family oriented. I met a woman that had been coming there for 32 years with their children and they were back again though she said that although they upgraded recently, she thought it hadn't been done well. Oh--do laundry in town (washer was broken) and bring lots of quarters to pay for water in the shower. Not really worth the extra expense for my family but if your kinds need to be entertained in a summer camp setting, then this might work for you. It is camping after all--gotta be flexible and it's not called "glamping" for a reason--need glam, get a hotel:)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AK2TXGirl
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Great place to take kids, facilities are very clean and lot of activities for the kids. Pool was nice, lodge activities every day. Theme weekends are well planned. Highly recommend for a family vacation, very relaxing for mom and dad when the kids are busy!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed for 5 days. Place is very noisy on the weekends. No one enforces quiet time. Bathrooms were not clean. Only 1 toilet in women's bathroom working out of 4. Several people would call but no one would come from the resort. Toilets would overflow with sewer water. If you take a shower on the weekends get there before 9 or you'll be taking a cold shower. Terrible to have to pay for a cold shower. Will not return to this campground. Many other better ones available.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family