“Very Good Meal, Nice Ambiance, Great Service, Great Friends, Will Return”
Review of Trattoria Stella

Trattoria Stella
Ranked #8 of 298 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Very Good Meal, Nice Ambiance, Great Service, Great Friends, Will Return”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I am not sure why I am not more fond of Tratoria Stella. I always have a fat meal. I think it is because I sometimes struggle to find a meal to my liking on their changing menu. However tonight there were a few options and the one I choose was great.

Ours friends arrived early and decided that we would eat on the large high table in the center of the bar. It seats 12 and we were 10. It seemed casual and fin and was perfect.

We started with wine and appetizers. The White Pizza was rich but exceptional. We also had the BURRATA PUGLIESE which is, prosciutto di Parma, charred tomato, vinaigrette and crostini. I liked the crostini but the rest nothing I would order again.

I skipped the salad. Nothing on the menu to my liking. Beets, Arugula and Field Greens....no thanks.

For dinner I ordered the VEAL SCALOPPINE - pan-seared with cornmeal gnocchetti, garlic, sage leaves, smoked tomato & Marsala. The veal and gnochetti were excellent. Would definitely order this again.

Fabulous Fred ordered the BEEF SHORT RIBS, that were slow-cooked, mushroom guarnizione, crisp celery root & salsify, tarragon and veal stock. It was a pretty large portion and he demolished it quickly licking his chops. He loved it.

My wife had the LAKE SUPERIOR WALLEYE that was pan-seared with fingerling & sweet potatoes, roasted cauliflower, fennel, lemon. I tried a taste and it was very nice. Not real fishy. More light and flaky.

No dessert or coffee on this particular evening.

It is nice that they source their produce, fruits, vegitables and meat from the local farms. Farm to Table fresh.

The setting was nice, the company exceptional and the food very good. We will return as we have many times.

• Visited March 2013

Kalamazoo MI
“Hard to find but worth it.”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had lunch there and were served by Kathy S. who was exceptionally helpful in explaining the choices. The food preparation and service was top notch.
Some reviews said it is expensive. There menu is on the website so there should be no surprises. I thought it was pricy but good value. We will be back.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank GrandpaX6
Haslett, Michigan
“always great - DO TEST THE CHEF”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

a favorite restaurant, eat here 5/6 times a year since it opened. Family and friends always want to come back. Chef is excellent so rather than sticking with a couple of favorite dishes I feel confident wandering thru-out the menu. Charming ambiance set in the lower level of a century-old former state hospital. You're eating in former storage rooms but it has a comfortable gothic feeling.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank sfogliatelleBKLYN
Imlay City, Michigan
“Stunning is all aspects!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Stella trattoria is a gem! The chef here is amazing, personable and knowledgeable. The ingredients are so local, and the unique items are fun and delicious. I love to amount of charcuterie in TC, and it continues in stellas dining room. Beautiful atmosphere and great service. One of my top two dining experiences in Michigan!

1 Thank Mike R
Carson City
“Not your typical Italian American..much better!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Good locally sourced ingredients put together by a James Beard nominee. The food isn't the typical Italian food. Yes there are flat bread pizzas and pastas, but the flavors are all American. A group of five went for lunch in the restaurant located in the lower level of a former Asylum, exposed brick walls and archways were welcoming. We ordered differ things off the menu that is printed up daily. Our waiter Joe, was knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. The minestrone is vegan and glucose free, there were good combinations of sides , celery root and shallots , beets with mozzarella. Salads and fresh pasta round out the choices. There is a flourless chocolate cake and house made lemonchello . All in all a good experience.

• Visited March 2013