“WHAT AN ARM PIT”

Grand Traverse Motel
Grand Traverse Motel
Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Company Called Made Reservation That Went Ok. Got There At 1130 PM So Far So Good. Went To Room What A S # # T Hole Pulled Covers Back On Bed Coworker Notices What Look Like Pizza Sauce On Side Of Box Spring Dont Think It Was Pizza Sauce??????????. Carpet Was Staind, Bathroom Need Major Help Room Just Did Not Fell Clean. Would Have Went To Some Place Else But. Just Work 9 Hrs. Drove 4 Hrs. To Get There Were Very Tired. Will Check Reviews Better Next Time. I Guess You Get What You Pay Four.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank KneeKicker

Reviewed October 16, 2010

Because I never would have stayed here - certainly not for nearly $100. I'm kicking myself this morning. Doesn't feel clean, can hear the neighbors snoring and hacking, holes in the curtains... Overall, downright scuzzy.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank DCTim
gregsix, Owner at Grand Traverse Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2010

Sorry to hear you felt this way. At the time of check in, if you felt the room wasn't clean, or was less than acceptable, it would be reasonable to come back to the office and let us know that the room did not meet your standards. We would have happily returned your money, and rented the room to someone who would have been a better fit. It seems odd to think that you "suffered" through the night in that scuzzy $100 room, when we have so many happy guests. Perhaps read the review on tripadvisor that came in prior to your review. I wish you the best on your quest for a less scuzzy room for a lower price.

Reviewed September 14, 2010

We had an unscheduled stop on the way home from our vacation due to car problems. I was a bit concerned about staying in a hotel that wasn't part of a chain being unfamiliar with the area, but I quickly realized that my fears where unfounded. From the warm greeting we received on the night of our arrival, to the clean room, to the service that went above and beyond any of my expectations, our unplanned vacation was amazing....We where unable to give them a check out time, due to waiting on car repairs, they allowed us a late check out, than when it became afternoon, and we still didn't know when our car would be ready, they stored our belongings so that we where able to do some sight seeing, and than when our car was done Beth drove us to the car dealer to get our car!!! I would highly recommend this fine motel!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2009

My husband and I spent a weekend here on a color tour mingled with a day spa journey. At first were reluctant after reading some of these reviews, but went ahead with our plans. We had a great time! The staff was friendly, spa services were outstanding and aside from the rainy weather, we had a perfect weekend in a beautiful place.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Great location and very nice motel. Staff was very responsive and rooms clean. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2008

My experience began with a quote over the phone for a week stay. When I arrived on the day of check-in, the price was $50 higher than the quote. I tried to show the owner my notes made during our telephone conversation but she wasn't interested. I don't have time to look for something better, so I pay the new price. I am told that the price will go down after the fall colours. I'm wondering why they are willing to chance my leaving for a few dollars. My original plan was to stay monthly through the winter.

The female owner showed me a couple of rooms. To her credit she was very patient and accommodating.

The room is small but not bad. It smells odd but many hotel rooms do. The curtains are shoddy, the carpet is stained. There is a mouldy smell in the bath and the caulking around the tub is specked black. Obviously there are some small issues that could be better with some attention. The other guests kept waking me up at 6 a.m. because they aren't quiet when they leave. Nobody seems to be around at that time to improve that situation.

But here is the weird thing. I noticed that sometimes a red light would appear on my phone. The button that is lit up says "front desk". At first I don't mind because I think it's just another maintenance issue. A phone with a wonky button. But I began to notice that sometimes the light was off, while other times it was on. So for a test I began to talk to the "front desk". I said "Comon' you aren't actually listening to me are you?". A moment later, the light went off. It creeped me out.

The next day I noticed the light on again. Once again I said "hey front desk, turn that light off". The light went off. This happened a third time and now I'm convinced they can hear me. I saw the light on a few times and said nothing. It remained on.

It could be an issue with a phone malfunctioning, but if they can hear what I'm saying in my room, that is a clear breech of privacy. That phone should be removed immediately. I did not address the issue with the owners and there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation, but it made me uncomfortable and for that reason, I'm not staying and I won't be returning.

I am a seasoned traveller and this is the first time that I've felt so uneasy about any place I've stayed.

I try to be fair and I'm going to say that this place is reasonably priced for the budget traveller. The rooms are in fair condition. It has a good location close to downtown and walking distance to the water. If you happen to be braver than me, and you see that "front desk" light on the phone - ask them what's up with that? Unplug it if you want to be assured of your privacy.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank D A W
gregsix, Owner at Grand Traverse Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2010

It's hard to put any credibility on a review that thinks she can "talk at the hung up phone" and somehow think that the front desk can hear her. So then when the light goes out, she thinks that confirms her fears of being listened to via a phone that's hung up. It seems other than her unsubstantiated fears, she liked the place. In response to her claim... No, we can not listen to guests in the rooms when the phone is hung up, even if we wanted to. I am not convinced lights were blinking either.

Reviewed June 25, 2008

Do not stay at this Motel. They ripped me off for $200. I was smoking a cigarette outside and put the butt in a cup. It was windy outside so it would not blow off of the table I brought the cup inside. When I got home they had charged my credit card $200 for extra cleaning!!!
This is fraud and I'm filing a complaint with the Traverse city Police Dept.

Also the rooms were old and smelled musty! The cleaning and front desk people were rude and would enter your room at all hours with out knocking. These people are terrible flat out. Beware if you stay here. Keep your valubles with you at all times. We had items that kept disappearing.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank hellmic1

This person signed a form at check in stating that he/she agreed to a $200 smoking fee. Guests are also told verbally, and instructed to read the agreement carefully prior to signing. Smoking fee's are common industry wide. Its hard and costly to get smoke out of a room, and afterward, many guests can still smell and are not pleased with their stay. Thank you for understanding.