“Nice little place (if you can find it!)”
Review of Brewery Ferment

Brewery Ferment
Ranked #59 of 116 things to do in Traverse City
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Had a quick pint here a short time ago. Great little spot, the server was very friendly, they have 2 dart boards (with real darts! Not those plastic things), and the beer was good.

I had heard of it for a little while & always looked for it when driving by the area, but always missed it - it's kind of tucked away in a little strip of stores. Once you find it, though, it's worthwhile.

Will definitely be back!

3  Thank MSkinner

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We had stopped here on our brewery tour. If you like stouts this is the place to come. Good service, good beers.

1  Thank tmorrison
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Smaller of the microbrews on the ale trail. We went on a Saturday evening, if it wasn't for a rugby team there the place would have been pretty empty. The bartender was very friendly and informative. They were out of a few of their beers which was disappointing. We asked the bartender to pick a beer for us based on what we told him we liked. He made a good selection and it was a tasty beer. We will definitely go back when we visit traverse city again.

1  Thank dredawn1313
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Despite the recent proliferation of so-called craft breweries, it's pretty easy to be bored with most American offerings. It's either sickeningly sweet brown ales, stouts that taste like charred espresso beans, sugary "belgian style" beers, or the myriad variations of "water+a crap ton of hops=win". That's why I was pleasantly surprised by Brewery Ferment. Whoever is in charge of this place is clearly going their own way, and isn't afraid to take risks. Although they miss the mark on some beers, others are true originals.

The girl behind the counter was very enthusiastic about the beers, was patient with me, and even gave me some free samples. First, I tried the white beer. It was alright, good flavor, but seemed to lack body. The worker's daily similarly needed a little more oomph, and was too sweet for me. Maybe a little creaminess would make this one better. I settled on a pint of the ESB on a whim, because I usually like bitters. This one was a hit. Well balanced, and reminiscent of the bitters you can find in England. Unlike many of the other ESB's you can find, it doesn't taste like someone mixed a brown ale with an IPA.

I applaud the brewer for trying to be true to the original styles. To bet the business on whether that suits the palate of most American craft brew drinkers is a huge gamble. I hope it pays off. Although it's not the greatest beer I've ever had, I think this brewer's heart is in the right place and that there is a ton of potential here. I will be back to see how this brewery's vision takes shape.

1  Thank Brandon D
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We really enjoyed our stop here. Yes it is small, yes it is new but the customer service was awesome! The owner was manning the bar and let us try a taste of the beer before we bought it (and didn't charge) and made sure we got exactly the beer we wanted. They were very friendly and relaxed here and the Old Town Brown was very good. Kudos to them for realizing that a bit of nice and customer satisfaction go a long way in building a business. Didn't try them but people were raving over their pickled eggs, they had four different types. We would go back for sure.

1  Thank nandipandi