“I can dig it.”
Review of Brewery Ferment

Brewery Ferment
Ranked #59 of 116 things to do in Traverse City
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Despite the recent proliferation of so-called craft breweries, it's pretty easy to be bored with most American offerings. It's either sickeningly sweet brown ales, stouts that taste like charred espresso beans, sugary "belgian style" beers, or the myriad variations of "water+a crap ton of hops=win". That's why I was pleasantly surprised by Brewery Ferment. Whoever is in charge of this place is clearly going their own way, and isn't afraid to take risks. Although they miss the mark on some beers, others are true originals.

The girl behind the counter was very enthusiastic about the beers, was patient with me, and even gave me some free samples. First, I tried the white beer. It was alright, good flavor, but seemed to lack body. The worker's daily similarly needed a little more oomph, and was too sweet for me. Maybe a little creaminess would make this one better. I settled on a pint of the ESB on a whim, because I usually like bitters. This one was a hit. Well balanced, and reminiscent of the bitters you can find in England. Unlike many of the other ESB's you can find, it doesn't taste like someone mixed a brown ale with an IPA.

I applaud the brewer for trying to be true to the original styles. To bet the business on whether that suits the palate of most American craft brew drinkers is a huge gamble. I hope it pays off. Although it's not the greatest beer I've ever had, I think this brewer's heart is in the right place and that there is a ton of potential here. I will be back to see how this brewery's vision takes shape.

1  Thank Brandon D

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We really enjoyed our stop here. Yes it is small, yes it is new but the customer service was awesome! The owner was manning the bar and let us try a taste of the beer before we bought it (and didn't charge) and made sure we got exactly the beer we wanted. They were very friendly and relaxed here and the Old Town Brown was very good. Kudos to them for realizing that a bit of nice and customer satisfaction go a long way in building a business. Didn't try them but people were raving over their pickled eggs, they had four different types. We would go back for sure.

1  Thank nandipandi
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Went as part of ale trail. Beer was good. Not really friendly. It was Saturday during film fest so maybe people were at the movies.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a great little boutique brewery in the downtown area. The beer is very tasty and the atmosphere is fun and eclectic. I didn't try the snacks, but will next time!

1  Thank keyslinds