“yummy pulled pork, but unfriendly service”
Review of Ham-Bonz

Ham-Bonz
Ranked #66 of 320 Restaurants in Traverse City
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Limited menu, yes, but this is a tiny, tiny restaurant with one cook & one waitress, so don't expect much variety. The pulled pork sandwich is very good (not too sweet, which is what I usually get in Michigan). The bread is grilled too, which I appreciate. The pulled pork sandwich is accompanied by a not-too-sweet cole slaw. I really like hole-in-the-wall restaurants with better-than-average food, & Ham Bonz is definitely this kind of place.
The waitress was abrupt and rude at the end of our visit because our rambunctious 3 year old spilled some little plastic containers of jam. I'm not sure if she was unfriendly because we had a toddler or because we were clearly outsiders. Nonetheless, the food was good & I'd go back.

1  Thank Jeanne L

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We attempted to get breakfast sandwiches at potter's bakery but the location on 8th does not server them so a customer recommended Ham Bones one block over. What a great suggestion. We had country omelette, veggie omelette and hash. Everything was delicious. We will be back next time we are in TC

Reviewed July 3, 2013

My husband & I tried Ham-Bonz because of on-line reviews & we prefer to support local eateries. We came in about 45 minutes before closing on a weekday. There were 2 customers present about halfway thru their meals. Only cook (not owner) & new server on staff. Server on a personal phone call didn't acknowledge our presence or make eye contact even though we were standing 3 feet from her and obviously newbies. After a couple of minutes standing there, we picked up basic take-out menus on the counter sitting at her elbow. She then turned her back to us (while still on phone) to grab regular menus on shelf behind her but said nothing to us nor turned back around to hand them to us. After still receiving no instruction to do so, we finally seated ourselves. A few minutes later she brought these menus to us like she didn't even see us pick up the others. Instead of apologizing for her oversight, she didn't offer the more descriptive menus nor ask if we had any questions about the take-out menu. Sign on window advertised 5 $5 daily lunch specials. They were not on the menus and server did not bring it to our attention they were listed on sign in the corner across the room. (We noticed them after ordering but there were only 4 specials listed 2 being breakfast choices and the remaining not even BBQ items.) Now for the food. After determining they do not offer BBQ/smoked chicken nor ribs of any type, we settled on the Smokey Bear (?) sandwich with coleslaw. The sandwich was piled high with three smoked meats & Cheddar cheese on a large, fresh bun. The meats were very good and moist, even the turkey. I would certainly recommend it. However, I'm at a loss on the coleslaw. Being from the Deep South, I was surprised to find kidney beans and corn in the slaw with only mayo as a dressing (we tasted no sugar or vinegar as is common even at KFC). Maybe this is a northern thing but the owner is reportedly from Mississippi. Didn't care for their BBQ sauce either. Tasted like ketchup with a bit more vinegar and on the thin side. Even though sandwich was great, we will not return on our next visit to the area.

2  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I love a good piece of ham and this place can give me that, plus a good size breakfast for a reasonable price.

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely amazing pulled pork, you can not beat the quality of food and service this place offers. They offered to stay open late to accommodate us.