“If you like corned beef hash, you must come!” 4 of 5 bubbles

J & S Hamburg Downtown
Ranked #67 of 295 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Diner, American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: J&S Hamburg Downtown is a classic, American, Diner and is one of the the oldest restaurants (if not THE oldest) restaurant in Traverse City! Established in 1938, J&S Hamburg provides mouth-watering, hand-dipped shakes, flat-top burgers, the best Reuben sandwich in the state, skin on fries, sweet potato fries, onion rings, homemade soups, chili, sandwiches, homemade cakes, pies, pastries and more! We are open from 6AM until 11PM Mon-Thurs. We are open 24 hours Friday & Saturday, and we close at 8PM on Sunday. We have abundant patio seating in the spring, summer, and fall! Come by and experience Traverse City's authentic, original, 1930's Diner! Can't wait to see you!
“If you like corned beef hash, you must come!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great old diner filled with locals. Came for breakfast with my wife and kids. Everything hot and delicious. But, if you are a corned beef hash lover like me, you have to have it here. Perhaps the finest corned beef hash I've ever eaten...and I can tell you, I've eaten a lot! Mary Kitchen's this stuff ain't. This is the real deal, with large pieces of corned beef mixed with pototoes and onions. Fantastic!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Dccarter1

Chicago
“I've had better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We've been wanting to try J&S ever since we saw it on our vacation last year. My bf's name begins with a J and mine begins with an S so we always take a picture out in front of the sign...cheesy!

We finally made it in to have a burger but I think my expectations were too high. The burgers were good but I wasn't blown away.

We both got burger baskets which, according to the menu, should have been the burger, fries and cole slaw. Neither of us received any slaw. I can't locate their menu online but I believe we got the Classic and American burgers. Everything was cooked as we ordered though. I was just hoping for a really juicy burger. It was good but nothing to write home about...or even memorable enough for me to compose this review! I remember the customers more than I remember the food....oh and the bathrooms! Smallest bathroom I've ever attempted to go in. I needed to wash my hands but had to stand halfway in the bathroom and in the hallway to even do so, lol.

Our server was attentive considering she was taking care of all the tables both inside and out and it appeared they were in the middle of a shift change. Oh, I do remember one of the cooks being slightly snotty with me. When we walked in we weren't sure if we should just sit anywhere or order at the register then sit. We walked up to the register (which is immediately next to the cook area) and I asked. One of the cooks just gave attitude as though he was bothered. I guess I was bothering him by asking, but he was the only one standing there. Oh well, maybe it was a long day for him.

It was a cool place to stop in considering the naming coincidence but other than that, I probably would want to try some other burger places out when in town again.

• Visited July 2013
Bay City, Michigan, United States
“Rude waitress who swore at us running down the road!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We entered the restaurant and were given a menu by a man inside and told to wait for a table to open out side. We gladly did as we were told. A table opened and no one else appeared to be waiting so once again we did as we were told and sat down. We had been given a menu before and had waited about a half hour and were expecting a waitress to come around soon as they were busy. She came over and just ripped into us and told us we talked to the wrong person inside and they were wrong. We just wanted to eat so we got up and left. She had the guts to tell us to go f$%%^ ourselves while she chased us for half a block. People around were appauled and suggested restaurant rescue. I agree. During the Cherry Fest people are bringing money into your town you can at least treat people right.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Michigan
“"Small greasy spoon"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Our lunch of burgers and fries was just what I expected from a little greasy spoon. Prices were a bit higher than I thought they should be, but the service was good. The kids loved the food, expecially the chili fries, and the burgers were tasty.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Kristen92
natethegreat
“Smaller place but great breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We ate here memorial day weekend May 2013. The place was packed but we didn't have to wait long for a seat. The food was great and wait staff though very overworked were quick and helpful. If you are looking for a good breakfast in Traverse City I would highly suggest this place. We also learned that on weekends they are open very very late and the prices are very affordable.

• Visited May 2013