“Old School Traverse City ”
Review of Mode's Bum Steer

Mode's Bum Steer
Ranked #49 of 336 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2018 via mobile

Visited Mode’s on a Wednesday evening while vacationing in TC with my wife, three kids (6, 6, & 12) and our nephew (7).

This is a great little steakhouse and seafood restaurant. Probably more appropriate for adults and date nights, but they do accommodate all parties. I don’t recall there being a children’s menu? Most seating is for parties of two or four, but square tables can also become round.

The food and service were both very good. My wife had prime rib, I had steak, and the kids all had cheeseburgers. Everyone enjoyed their meal! Our total bill, with tax and tip, was approximately $128.00. I believe that their menu and prices are listed here on TripAdvisor.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended to us by local residents that overheard us talking about where to have dinner...we were in the right place at the right time....dinner here was wonderful !! What a great steakhouse! We also had shrimp and perch with our steaks...add to that a wedge of salad and Texas toast....needless to say we did not walk away hungry!! Much better than a Bloomin Onion!
It’s not a very large establishment, but very quaint. Our waitress was very friendly and attentive.
We will definitely eat here again when we are in Traverse City and want a great steak !

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed June 13, 2018

Checked on Trip Advisor for a steakhouse in the Traverse City area. This was one of the top recommendations and it lived up to it.
My wife ordered a NY Strip sandwich, medium well. It came perfectly prepared and she said it was juicy and well flavored.
I ordered the NY Strip (also medium well and smothered in onions and mushrooms) & Wedge. The salad was crisp and fresh and a good size portion.
My steak was slightly undercooked, with much more pink than I prefer, but it was still very tender and tasty.
Service was fast and friendly.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank ADCollier
Reviewed May 31, 2018

This used to be a quiet place to eat excellent food and talk with friends. Now it is a noisy, crowded bar with food. My steak was so tough I couldn’t chew it enough to swallow it. The waitress offered an upgrade at no additional cost. Since my husband had a prime rib which he said was good I had that as well. The wedge salad was very good. They have crowded in more tables which has added to the “bar” feel. The wait staff were very attentive even though they had to run to take care of their tables.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed April 29, 2018

This is a local landmark that is sorta a 50's throwback with their style. Great steaks are their draw. Usually not overly crowded and a block off Front street.

Date of visit: December 2017