“YUM!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mode's Bum Steer
Ranked #40 of 295 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
South Lyon, Michigan
“YUM!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Read all the reviews and was a bit hesitant BUT what a delicious steak! Yes it's a little retro! Yes it is a little cramped but my husband and I had a excellent meal, good wine, good service and a lovely night out!

• Visited October 2012

Lake Ann, Michigan, United States
“Dinner with a close friend.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

There is NO better place in Traverse City for a steak dinner. The service is great and the drinks and food are over the top.

Beulah, Michigan
“Solid 'Old-Time' Steakhouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was our first trip to the 'Bum Steer' after receiving a number of 'thumbs-up' reviews from friends in the Traverse City area. The Steer is just off the main drag in TC,,, a small restaurant on East State Street. It's a tad crowded with tables & you should never come to the Steer for an 'intimate' dinner. BUT, if you are seeking a prime piece of meat done to perfection, you have come to the right place! Our party of four all enjoyed our meat - two filets done perfectly to medium rare, one other steak & the pork chop also done to perfection. They have a very nice salad bar so you can make your own salad - just the way YOU want it. Decent wine list & properly priced adult beverages. Barbara had the BEST 'vodka collins' in years! Enjoy.

Traverse City, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thanks, but No Thanks.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

In an effort to be healthy, I ordered the grilled chicken breast and lettuce wedge from the Lighter Fare portion of the menu. For $11.99 I was sorely disappointed with my meal. The lettuce wedge was, well, a lettuce wedge and my main meal was one small chicken breast and a piece of texas toast. Seriously that was it. I ALWAYS have leftovers when dining out and not only did I not have any leftovers, I ate every single bite of everything! For that price, I had expected a healthy-sized chicken breast. For what I received as my meal, $7.99 would have been a reasonable price There are so many other places in town where I can get a much better value.

Thanks, but no thanks, Mode's.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Traverse City, Michigan
“A carnivore's delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Mode's Bum Steer is a classic steakhouse...both in terms of ambiance (it's no frills place with a large bar that occupies easily a third of the place) and menu (don't expect to find any vegetables among the selections other than potatoes, grilled mushrooms and grilled onions). But that's OK. We're not here for edamame or haricots verts.

My wife opted for the prime rib while I chose the porterhouse. The prime rib was a tad overdone (she'd ordered it "char-broiled" and medium rare, and it came out on the medium side), while my porterhouse was done as ordered (I like my meat rare and it was definitely so). We opted for the wedge salad, a classic steak house starter--and a well done at that.

One word of warning--the cocktails are HUGE. I ordered my usual drink (Bombay Sapphire on the rocks with an olive). The waitress asked, " a single or a double." Wow, I thought, I've not heard that question before. I opted for a single. I can only wonder how big a glass a double comes in...odds are I would not have walked out of the restaurant after having had one.

Mode's also offers several decent wines by the glass--and wines are reasonably priced here as well.

Why not five stars? Well, Mode's ain't cheap, and the informality (sour cream and butter in pre-portioned cups, for example), defy any upscale touches. And it can be very noisy, as the tables are close together and cramped--even for two. But it is very good--as a four star rating suggests--for a steakhouse experience.

Two other notes--Mode's asks that after 5pm "no youngsters under 8." While I applaud that policy, given that TC is a tourist town, folks reading this review should be aware of that limitation. (That said, there were a couple tables served that eschewed this mandate.) Secondly, they do not take reservations.