“"Small" Plates more like "Medium" Plates”
Review of Fire Fly

Fire Fly
Ranked #45 of 299 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in downtown Traverse City, on the banks of the Boardman River, Fire Fly specializes in small plates, sushi, and martinis. Dine inside or riverside on the patio! Fire Fly offers daily specials including Happy Hour every day from 3pm to 6 pm. Fire Fly is proof that great food doesn't have to be expensive. We offer a wide selection of local, national and international wines, and our craft beer selection is extensive. Our knowledgeable staff can help pair the perfect wine or craft beer with your dinner!
Oxford, Michigan
“"Small" Plates more like "Medium" Plates”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

After spending the day sampling wine and shopping we made an unplanned stop at the Fire Fly. While the place was hopping we were able to get a table right away and had very good service. However, when we looked at the limited menu for full dinners and the prices for the small plate options (which were far more numerous)...we were concerned this might not be for us....Our waiter reassured us the small plates were larger than one might find in other restaurants...and he was right! We each chose one selection and were very pleased with taste and the amount of food. Everyone was more than satisfied! So a pleasant surprise and a very good meal!

Visited June 2013

Charlevoix, Michigan
“Please tell me why....”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

this place doesn't open until 4pm on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend......??? I've eaten many meals here, albeit not all have been ideal. That's NOT what this review is about though....

Memorial Day Sunday I recommended that my friends that rode up for the weekend meet us at the Firefly for a late lunch. Approximately 20 bikes, 40 total people. I arrived at 2pm-ish to alert the staff that 40 people were on their way and never, NEVER, NEVER expected the restaurant to be closed until 4pm..... Closed until 4pm, on MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND? WHO makes these decisions? This place is two blocks off main street in TC. The city was PACKED with tourists.

My friends and I altered our plans, met at a bar downtown and enjoyed a great meal, however, spent a lot of time discussing WHY the Fire Fly was closed until 4pm. 40 potential customers taking downstate a story about how a restaurant in TC, on Memorial Day weekend does not open for lunch. NOT a good advertisement. If you've never been there it's important to understand that the Fire Fly is NOT an upscale place to eat. Decent food, great beer selection but it does NOT have the 5 star reputation that MAY provide it some latitude on operational hours.

Not sure I'll ever go back. There are far too many places to explore in TC without wasting my money or my friends money at a place that does not understand the value/necessity of being open during one of the most important weekends of the summer.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Rebel-Miles-Photo
Biff_Condor, Owner at Fire Fly, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
I can appreciate your frustration of heading to one of your favorite places when you are sure they would be open and they are not. Firefly has been open in Traverse City since 2002 and we were open Sunday during the day for a couple of years. Sunday during the day is not a big day for a small plate, sushi and Martini place. We tried. I love that you look at the streets of Traverse City and think we are not doing what we should be. Our business is not easy, and we try and accommodate every guests needs to the best of our ability. We have our hours posted on our doors, on our website and on our facebook pages. I believe they are on Trip Advisor also. One thing I do want to coach you on is that any restaurant would love a call if you are planning on meeting any large group at their location, it will make it easy for you to be accommodated, it also helps to make sure you are not disappointed when they are not able to accommodate 20 bikers on a Sunday afternoon.
Windsor, Canada
“Great place in Traverse City....Something Different”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Service was great, food was excellent. Portions were just right and everything was fresh and had excellent flavor. Drinks were excellent, server had excellent knowledge of the menu. I was a bit nervous to go there as I had gathered from previous reviews on here that it was a sushi restaurant and I don't eat sushi, but there is definitely something for everyone on their menu. I'd return anytime.

• Visited May 2013
Rochester, New York
“Awesome concept and atmosphere!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a very hip and modern place to grab a drink or an excellent lunch or dinner. We went with a group of 8 and they had no problems squeezing us in at the last minute. They offer a menu of a variety of different small plate options along with Sushi. The cucumber martini was delicious and the sushi had excellent flavor. The service was a tad slow but the place was packed so it was to be expected.

• Visited March 2013
Ludington, Michigan
“Eclectic and good”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great popular eatery in Traverse City. It offers a tremendous variety, friendly wait staff, and delicious well prepared food. Highly recommend.

Biff_Condor, Owner at Fire Fly, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
KZC,

You know I don't take enough time to thank all of the nice people that take the time to recognize the hard working village of people that it takes to make Firefly work, and I should!!!! Thank you so much!!! The paying it forward with your kindness really makes the whole effort worthwhile.

We all try so hard to make your experience at Firefly the best that it can be. I hope that you have a wonderful day and continue to find good food and service wherever you may find yourself.