“So Glad We Ate Here”

Ranked #74 of 317 Restaurants in Traverse City
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The food was absolutely delicious. 4 of the 5 of us ordered different soups and I tried them all. Probably the best French Onion soup I have ever tried. The Asparagus Parmesan soup was wonderful. The Chicken Noodle soup and the Chili were both delicious. So, so good. Even my pickiest eater said it was the best sandwich he had ever eaten. We stopped here by chance, having never heard of this place. Should we be visiting TC again, we would definitely come here again.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We were guided to the Green House Cafe by some of the very positive recent reviews of the restaurant and the reviewers are right. The restaurant is unpretentious and comfortable with friendly staff, quick service and very good food. We went there primarily for their French onion soup which is every bit as good as the rave reviews claimed. I love French onion soup, have it whenever I can and rate the Green House cafe's soup as perhaps the best I've ever had. A lot of places seem to skimp on either the cheese, croutons or onions, but their soup had them all in perfect proportions.. We had their soup and half-sandwich special and really enjoyed their chicken cherry salad on a croissant. The only down side was that I had ordered the full sandwich and the half-sandwich I got instead was small, leaving me craving the other half. .No question: We'll be back.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have eaten at this cafe twice; once for breakfast and once for lunch. Both times the food was outstanding! Fresh baked goods get me every time. The muffins are fabulous! My husband ordered the biscuits and gravy along with two eggs and could only finish half of it. I had the baked oatmeal and was more than satisfied.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were enjoying a walk downtown Traverse City on a Sunday evening. We decided to stop at the Mackinaw Brewing Company to possibly meet some "locals". We sat at the bar and enjoyed some great french onion soup. While there we met Wally Green. He chatted with us and during our conversation we learned that he had owned the first restaurant at the brewery location. He currently owns a little breakfast and lunch shop called Green House Café, just a block or so down main street. He had traveled a lot and seemed to be a very positive person. We decided based on our conversation with him that we should stop the next morning into his shop for a meal. It was a beautiful morning with just a bit of a chill in the air. We walked and took several photos then walked to the Green House Café. We were too late for breakfast. We chose to have an Asparagus Parmesan crock of soup and a crab burger on sourdough bread. Both were excellent choices. They used seasonings in a very artistic way. We even bought some of their home-made jerk seasoning sauce. The table had brown paper and they offer crayons for entertainment while waiting for the meal. So, I wrote “We got crabs at the Green House Café”. The staff loved it. As we looked around they had many drawings posted, some with very detailed work. Wally’s wife, daughter and granddaughter were all there. He stopped working to carry his granddaughter around. He stopped to chat while he had her. He told us about a great place to have a very scenic look over the city. We finished our meal, said goodbye, Janet gave Wally a hug, and I gave him one of my CDs.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Happy, Happy, Happy
French Onion Soup is her choice, love the salads, wraps, burgers and oh ya the breakfast all good. It is a favorite for us and our family.