“For the over 80 crowd”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cottage

The Cottage
Ranked #40 of 298 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Marshall, Michigan
“For the over 80 crowd”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

If you like your food bland and cold, this is the spot for you. Probably a step up from the usual assisted living fare, but not a big step. We went to the Sunday buffet which was picked over with no sign they planned to replenish it. There were 2 scramble eggs - plain and with a few veggies and some cheddar on top, Luke warm sausage and bacon, cold pancakes stuck together, maple flavored syrup, mini eclairs that were icy inside, assorted fruits and a gooey chocolate sauce. Scones were dry and floury tasting. There were two items on the end we couldn't figure out - a grey mushy looking mess and fried something- no one was brave enough to try it. All overpriced at $11 per person.

Service was poor - we had to search for our server to pay and she never came by to offer more coffee.
A one star rating is one star too
Many.

2 Thank 725sde

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Good value, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We selected this restaurant, as it was next door to our hotel, & we were told the prices were reasonable & the food choices were varied. Service was good, the menu was large, & our selection, a Cobb salad, was large & very good.
Recommend this as an affordable, family restaurant with good food.

• Visited November 2013
Sarnia, Canada
“Meh...just so-so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

If your 80+ this is the place for you! Wide open space, no music, and a fairly outdated menu. The service was ok and the food was tolerable but there are far better choices in the area! I can say I have been, but I probably won't be back.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank chris s
Ohio
“Convenient location ho-hum food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We chose this restaurant because it was close to the hotel in which we stayed. Unfortunately, that was a mistake. The service was relatively prompt, which surprised me considering what others said, but the food was disappointing. I ordered parmesan-crusted fish with a baked potato and salad. The best part of my meal with the cinnamon bread and salad! The fish was soggy, the potato way overcooked. The replacement potato came as I finished the rest of my meal, so I didn't want it. My husband had the 1/2 rack of ribs, which turned out to be either 1/4 rack or from a very small pig. His fries were overdone and his cole slaw bland and soupy. The server really tried to make things right and deducted part of our bill, but it was simply not a good experience.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank OhioLinda
South Jordan, Utah
“Convenient to our Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I've recently learned that the Cottage Café is more of a breakfast and brunch place, but they were convenient to our hotel and open for dinner. As a visitor to MI, I wanted to try white fish. It was decently prepared with Parmesan cheese and normally served with tartar sauce. Since I don't like the latter, I asked for seafood sauce and was given some that on first bite nearly took the top of my head off due to its horseradish content. The waitress heard my reflexive reaction and put herself out to tone it down for me. The net result was tasty and very useable. My husband ordered the wedge salad with Thousand Island dressing and a BLT sandwich. These were okay, but the dressing was clearly out of a bottle and not home made.

There was plenty of easy parking, including some handicapped spaces. The atmosphere was pleasant, and the service was friendly and on time. Cottage Café is clean, something that is essential in a restaurant. Since it's Oct. in Traverse City, the weather is cold and rainy. I mention this, because one wants food served piping hot. Mine was hot, but not piping hot. I would recommend the Cottage Café in our circumstances, but don't see it as a destination eatery. Don't know if they accept reservations.

• Visited October 2013