“Meet the Chef”

Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Spanish, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 10, 2013

What's not to like about a restaurant where the chef goes from table to table, asking customers what they are in the mood to eat and then creating a dish to meet that need. The food at Georgina's is interesting, varied and yummy. Not something that you would find in the same way anywhere else. Tiny restaurant - 18 seats - so call ahead.

1  Thank leebee414
There are newer reviews for Georgina's

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Travel introduces you to new delights in different foods to try. What fun to have a local restaurant where the aroma and flavors take you away to a different cultural experience through food.
My first visit I chose well and had the Curry Pineapple Chancho. So yummy! Next I will try the Ropa Vieja and then the Pollo Milanese.
Arrive early so you can get a table.

1  Thank cmurphyart
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The food is great, but the chef really should be more responsive to his customers who might not want what he decides to prepare for them. If a customer tells him they don't want a certain dish then he should be able to offer other ideas. The menu should have more info on each dish. If not then the chef should be willing to offer the info and be happy to do so. I really want to go back and try it again. I think the food I got ended up being great, but I don't think I should have had to argue about it. Sorry, but I'm the one paying the bill. It's all about service.

4  Thank Harold K
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Chef Anthony made me the best ever vegan food on my two visits there! My new favorite restaurant. We all love it.

1  Thank Louise-n-Jack
GeorginasTC, Owner at Georgina's, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Hi Louise-n-Jack! We are so pleased you had an enjoyable time with us. We love that we can provide an array of food that maintains its authenticity for you to enjoy. So pleased to have your support and blessed by your positivity.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Here's what you should know about Georgina's. It's tiny (it's located in the old Cook's House/Nine Bean Rows location on Front Street). The tables are super-tight next to each other, and, you WILL need reservations (at least for dinner). So, I wouldn't recommend dining there with young children. Or for a romantic evening. No alcohol.

Once you're seated, eventually you'll be greeted by the enthusiastic and well-meaning chef who will try to describe some of the various (and unusual entrees) on the menu. But, because he's also *cooking* the food, he doesn't have time to detail the bulk of offerings on there, nor can he effectively answer all the questions you might have. Moreover, because there are no appetizers on the menu, you can't even mull over some dinner options, because, well, he's gotta take your order right then.

Again, he's very polite and well-meaning, and if the menu was filled with typical, well-known options that would be fine. But it isn't. The entrée options needs explanation, and you need time to adequately review and compare/contrast them. So, well, you're kind of stuck. We just went with two, rather random, selections he made on our behalf.

And all of the above comments are why I can't give the place five stars.

But the food was outstanding. Our two Cuban-inspired offerings were delicious, and a welcome change from the other dining options here in TC. Even the dessert--a white chocolate rice pudding was superb. And all for $25.

2  Thank MongoSchwartz
GeorginasTC, Owner at Georgina's, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Hi MongoSchwartz,

Thanks for your honest review! We know that we are tiny. Right now, as a developing business, we are working on growing our reputation and our location. We hope that our BIG flavor compensates a bit for our small space.

Part of our restaurant is a new experience for American-traditionalist guests. We feel we bring an authentic Latin experience to Traverse City, and part of that is bringing people together. The Latin culture is much more open and expressive and we work to facilitate that in our small space, making conversation easy and enjoyment abundant.

As we do feature authentic food, we really can't expect everyone to know our menu items, which is why Chef Tony loves to talk with each of his guests. We are working on facilitating a more efficient delivery of his expertise while keeping in mind that he is preparing every dish from scratch. Part of the experience we are trying to bring you is helping you branch out and fully immerse yourself in a new culture that is unfamiliar to you. That is why Chef Tony loves to take your emotions for the day and bring you a dish that he feels reflects them. If you don't enjoy it, he will bring you something else! We really just want you to enjoy our culture as much as we do through our passion: food. Hopefully, as our guests are able to try more and more of our dishes, you won't need an explanation...because you'll know that you love it all! :)

Because we are a small space we are working to incorporate all your comments while keeping our space available for new guests and making the best of all experiences. I'm sorry you didn't have as good of a time as we could have made it. We really appreciate your support and business, and of course your feedback as we are growing.

Hope to see you soon. If there is anything else we can address, please let us know at info@georginastaqueria.com or 231-943-1555.