“Good food but pricey - lacks in atmosphere”
Review of Georgina's

Georgina's
Ranked #9 of 299 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Spanish, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Charlevoix MI
“Good food but pricey - lacks in atmosphere”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

After reading other reviews for this recently opened restaurant, my husband and I decided to have lunch there. As other reviewers stated, the food is well prepared and there was personal contact with the chef prior to our order. We tried the Asian side of the menu - most of the choices were chicken based and every lunch choice was $13.00. My husband's meal of Chicken and Garlic with rice and my meal of Chicken Pad Thai were served in a large bowl shaped plate - a very generous size serving for lunch but with nothing extra - no soup, salad, or even a garnish. The food was very good, tho, seasoned well and we did enjoy it. Service and atmosphere left something to be desired, however. The serving area is very small and tables barely as wide as a chair. Our soda was brought to the table in its own plastic bottle - no glass no ice. ($2.50 - no refills) Water came in a glass - no ice. There was a brick holding the door partially open so didn't feel warm enough to take off our winter jackets. Really wasn't a good "dining" experience. Would be better off as a take-out restaurant.

1 Thank dvanguil
GeorginasTC, Owner at Georgina's, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hi dvanguil. Thank you for your honest review. We are so glad that you took the trip to see us, and we apologize that it wasn't what you expected.

Our menu is always evolving, and Chef Tony is working on incorporating new recipes and new flavors everyday. We try to make it easy on our guests and price most of our entrees similarly so they don't have to pick and choose based on price. With that said, we feel we give you the greatest value for the amount of hard-earned money that you spend with us. We work hard for our money too, and we appreciate your support.
Right now, we have one menu that serves for both lunch and dinner, in hopes that you can take what you don't finish home to enjoy.

As we grow, there are many things that we are trying to incorporate but may not have the means to do so yet. Chef Tony wants to convey an absolutely pure Latin experience, hence the bottled beverages. He remembers walking around Nicaragua from restaurant to restaurant with a bottle of Coca-cola and a straw, absorbing the flavors that were infused in the local dishes. As part of your experience, he wants you to enjoy that too. We hope to have a fountain pop machine soon, but right now we just don't have the space for one.

We have also improved our ventilation system. We apologize that it was a bit chilly the day you come in. Because we are so small, it is often difficult to maintain cooking without any steam or sizzle. We have installed a full fan and air system to help diminish smokiness. We also have take-out for those that prefer to eat in a more intimate setting or at home.

We appreciate your business and your understanding as we grow. If there is anything else we can address with you, please don't hesitate to call us at 231-943-1555 or email us at info@georginastaqueria.com

Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Looking for something unique and delisious?”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I are residents of the area and were looking for some place diffenent to dine. We made reservations at Georgina's after reading about it on-line and were not disappointed. Chef Tony welcomed us at our table and gave us a run down of the menu as well as asking if we had any allergies or an aversion to any foods. I expained that I was not a fan of uncooked tomatoes, especially the seeds. He disappeared for a moment and returned to the table with some of his fresh salsa which I immediately feel in love wth after tasting. He suggested theLatin Tacos for my husband and the Tostado de Lechon for me. While waiting for our dinner, everyone around us was raving about their food and many, many people were coming in to pick up their take out orders. Our dinners arrived and neither of us was disappoined from the first bite until the last. My tostada was unlike anything I had ever had. The freshness of the salsa complimented the housemade sour cream and the pulled pork was exceptional as was the crispness of the tortilla shells. My husband LOVED his tacos as well, especially the vinegar based cabbage salad that topped them. Neither of us could clean our places since the meal included rice and authentic black beans, but we tried! I think that soon Chef Tony's clientele will outgrow this tiny little jewel box of a place and he will be destinged for a bigger and better place. The staff was friendly and welcoming. Theh food hot and delicious. Just a little cramped and a party of eight or more might be very uncomfortable unless you can reserve the entire place. A great new restaurant to try in Traverse City, but remember to have a drink, beer or glass of wine before you arrive as no liquor is served which we did not mind at all since we stopped for a couple of drinks downtown first. I can hardly wait to go back and taste something from the Asian side of the menu. I am sure I will not be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
“New food flavors in town!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The mix of asian and latin flavors surprises the palate and pleases the diner! We tried the pork tacos, asian cuban and nicaraguan, they were delicious. The Peurto Rican Lasagna was unique, a dish unlike anything else in Traverse City. We highly recommend giving Georgina's a try!

“Love This Place, Couple Times A Week, Why Go Anywhere Else”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

As you can tell by my 100 plus different restaurant reviews, I love a good restaurant. This one is amazing.

On our first visit, just days after Anthony opened, we were greeted by Anthony. He explained the menu and told us his story. How could you not love a guy that is half Cuban and half Chinese & Nicaraguan? Both sides of his family influence his cooking. Half of the menu Asian, and half Latin.

I cannot get enough of this place. Every time I enter I think I will order what I love and then I see something else or Anthony will come to our table and explain his new dishes. There is always something better than my last favorite.

At first I loved the Peanut Thai Chicken over rice, then I fell in love with Lomo Saltado (shredded brisket I think over noodles with peppers, tomatoes and a sweet tomato, vinegar sauce that is excellent. I also enjoyed the Tacos, the Chancho con Yucca, Pollo Milanesa, and chicken dumplings.

The cheesecake flan is excellent too.

It's small, maybe seats 16. It's great that Anthony comes out and mingles with those he serves. We have had him cater now at work and it's always well received.

UNIQUE, CREATIVE, TASTY,I will be back this weekend, my second time this week and 7th time in 3 weeks. Love It...EXCELLENT.

1 Thank Clinton S
Traverse City, Michigan
“new cubby-hole restaurant”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Georgina's has been open about a month now and it's getting more and more difficult to get in! As noted in other reviews, Chef Antony comes to the table, explains the menu and helps diners choose their entrees. Personally I'm working my way through the Latin American side of the menu and have yet to be disappointed! It's the Puerto Rican lasagna that lingers in the memory...made with slices of plantain rather than pasta. He also makes his own sausage which he uses in this dish and in the spaghetti-like dish. I have yet to be able to finish an entree! I went with a couple of friends and we shared dessert at the end...warm rice pudding with white chocolate "pastilles" that melted on the top. Incredible! This coming from someone who has avoided rice pudding all her life! Antony comes from a tradition of cooking since his mom and uncle each owned restaurants. He is charming, personable and sincere, and his cooking will soon have him moving to a larger place.