“Food and service excellent”
Review of The Soup Cup

The Soup Cup
Ranked #75 of 320 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American
Description: Luxury Quickserve Restaurant...All Classically prepared Soups by an ACF Professional Certified Executive Chef...Real Food for Real People in Real Time. 865 Soups and Counting...8 different #Soups #Everyday...Free Tastings of All Soups...Unpretentious Gooey Grilled Cheeses AND AWESOME #SoupCup Belgian Fries with 23 different dipping sauces! #WOWOW
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Family of four ordered Frites (very good) with homemade garlic mayo & pesto mayo (Excellent!), grilled ham & cheese sandwich (excellent) and three soups: shrimp gumbo (very good) Creamy Chicken & wild rice (EXCELLENT!) and Vegetable (Excellent).
Staff very friendly explaining the menu items, offering several tastes of the eight soup options. Music in the dining area was a little loud, but everything was very clean.

1  Thank Barry F

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was recently visiting my brother in Traverse City and we were walking home to his apartment on Boardman Lake when he brought me to this "Microsouperie" in an old train depot. It is a quaint little soup shop with a wonderful staff. They make eight fresh soups from scratch every day and they're lined up in kettles along the counter. You can taste any of the soups before making your selection. I tried about 4 different varieties, all of which were good, and settled on a sausage and kale soup. It was fantastic and made for a great light lunch.

In addition to the soups they have a selection of grilled cheeses but the real kicker is the french fries. Their fries are delicious and they make over 20 dipping sauces in house to choose from. We did a balsamic ketchup (I highly recommend) and a ranch sauce.

It was a charming little spot to stop for a quick lunch or snack. We ate outside at the picnic tables along the train tracks and enjoyed the whole experience.

1  Thank MyCuppaJo
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Not sure why, but I always forget about The Soup Cup. I drive past it every day, but it is tucked behind a garden center with a small sign that makes it easy to miss. As another reviewer said, 'Out of sight, out of mind.' But when I DO remember to stop, I scold myself for waiting so long.

Set up in an old train station, the tiny Soup Cup is bright and clean, with tall windows and lots of galvanized steel. Two picnic tables, topped with vintage parking meters, fill the dining space (anyone with a wheelchair or walker might have difficulties) and encourage community-style dining. There are also a few tables outside. Every time I stop, the tables are crowded with local families and lots of kids, so I order my food to go.

The main feature in the room is an enormous chalk wall overflowing with menu items. Eight soups are featured each day along with Belgian-cut french fries (with a never-ending list of dipping sauces), plus an unbelievable variety of grilled cheese sandwiches. The fries are not my favorite (Michigan folk seem to like their fries thick and soft rather than thin and crispy) but every soup I've tried has been fresh and very flavorful. And who knew you could do all that to a humble grilled cheese! My favorite is the Sloppy Cheese!

Sadly, The Soup Cup is only open for lunch. It would be the perfect take-home dinner after work.

1  Thank deeindiana
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a great new addition to the foodie offerings in TC and I am so glad that we have it near the Library, Hull Park and TART Trails! This afternoon I introduced it to my friend who raved and could not wait to return with her friends! Good fresh, inventive food, fun attitudes about life and a great location.

1  Thank TCMargaret
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We have been here 4 times and have loved all the soups we have tried. They have 8 different kinds of soup each day, Belgian cut fries and grilled cheese sandwiches.They use locally grown ingredients. I usually have some type of chicken based soup and they have all been delicious. I am a huge fan of their fries with dipping sauces. There are many sauces to choose from.

1  Thank rphsweet