“Enjoyable”
Review of Bistro Foufou

Bistro Foufou
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Foufou is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 316 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Front Street
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Originally was going to attend the King's Dinner, but the event was cancelled due to poor response. I guess that's TC in January... Tried a pastis for the first time (La Mauresque); tasted like absinthe no matter how much almond water I added (should have expected that). Ordered the beet salad and lamb fricassee; both were excellent.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My daughter and I had dinner here on a whim and it was great! You should like french food but everything we had was yummy! Decor upscale w a couple of nice bats.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I wandered in to Bistro FouFou on a Saturday night around 7 PM and were able to be seated without reservations. This is a classy place with the tone set as you enter the big stately doors and are greeted by two beautifully attired hostesses. There is a long bench seat with probably eight to ten tables for two coming off of it. We sat on the end closest to the door. Try to avoid this table in the winter as cold gusts blow in frequently as the door is opened and closed.

Yvette was our server. She loved talking about the food and offered some great recommendations. I started with a FouFou cocktail; melon liquor, hints of apple and cucumber with a sugared rim garnished with a cucumber slice. My husband opted for a glass of rose wine.

We started our dining with the Rillette served with ground mustard and cornichon. It was served with only six thin crispy baguette rounds; we had to ask for more to accompany the amount of Rillette we were served. It was not the flavor we were expecting, but it was delicious nonetheless. I’m at a loss of words to describe the flavor; meaty comes to mind, but that lacks depth as it was made with pork shoulder and meatiness would be expected. It was best when the baguette was spread with the mustard, topped with the Rillette, and garnished with a tiny cornichon slice.

We then each had a bowl of the Potato Leek soup. On the blustery winter evening this warmed us to our core. It was smooth and velvety in texture. The cubes of salty bacon that garnished it added little flavor explosions when included in a spoonful. It was very rich, but very very good.

For my entrée I chose the Boeuf Bourguignon. Ever since watching Julie and Julia, I’ve wanted to try this dish. It was served on a bed of highly buttered mashed (almost creamed) potatoes with carrot chunks laid artfully between the five cubes of beef. The wonderful broth/sauce was beneath the potatoes. The bread served with the meal was great for cleaning up the plate. The flavor was robust and the wine not overpowering. I thought the beef might have been a little more tender than it was.

My husband opted for the Auge Valley Chicken. He was worried the apple might be over powering, but it wasn’t in the least. The petite breast and boned thigh were served with the apples and cremini mushrooms. The apple brandy cream sauce was decedent. He too managed to clean his plate thoroughly.

While the desserts did sound lovely, we were pleasantly full. The diners next to us had the Floating Island and the Beignets. The man who ordered the Beignets exclaimed it was the best dessert he ever had. It was served with a mug of chocolate gnache. His dining partner didn’t appear to finish her floating island.

We will definitely dine at Bistro FouFou again. The food was reminiscent of a hearty Sunday dinner at Grandma’s, but was presented in a way that the ordinary became extraordinary.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

nothing on this menu is inspiring...Most of my TC friends can't find anything on the very limited menu that they like. My boulabaisse portion was tiny and desserts are unimaginative.. Very sorry because I love La becasse!!

4  Thank Matt H
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Good food quality and nice wine list. The menu is very very limited so make sure everyone takes a look at it before you head inside. it is not a menu that offers something for everyone but what is offered is tasty and nicely presented. Probably not going back until the menu expands.