“Best French Toast ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Towne Plaza

The Towne Plaza
Ranked #21 of 298 Restaurants in Traverse City
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Michigan
“Best French Toast ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We visit Traverse City about once a year but this was our first visit to the Towne Plaza. We met a group for breakfast and sat in the outdoor courtyard which was enjoyable in itself. I love French Toast and the description on the menu made my mouth water. I was not disappointed as it was the best I have ever ate. You could tell the chef used quality ingredients in both the toast and the syrup which was outstanding. It was expensive, $10, but I would highly recommend it.

• Visited July 2013

Thompsonville, Michigan
“Pork, pork, and more pork! Yum.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We dined here on a Friday night at 7 PM with reservations. We were greeted promptly and seated immediately. There really is no waiting area. The bathrooms are situated in an odd location, so you need to go through wait station areas to get to it. I must say the baby pig picture in the women’s restroom is adorable.

We were dining with friends, so we placed a drink order while we waited for their arrival. There is quite an extensive beer list and a few specialty cocktails. I opted for a cocktail from their menu with Hypnotic in it. I found it rather enjoyable and it lasted through appetizers.

The menu is laid out in a non-traditional manner. It is separated by meat, seafood, pork, vegetables. So all pork for example is in one part whether it is an appetizer, small plate, or entrée. The waitress did explain this but only when she came to take our order which resulted in more time needing to be spent with the menu.

Our server was good, but not great. I felt we could have been better educated about the menu earlier in our visit. I felt another check-back or two would have been nice after the appetizer arrived to see if we were ready to order. She was great at helping us choose our entrees.

For an appetizer the four of us shared the Charcuterie with terrine and rillete as our choices. We’ve tried rillete at Bistro Fou Fou previously and really enjoyed the full body flavor. Here the rillete was less creamy and more of a texture of soft pulled pork. The terrine was presented in a pleasing manner, but neither had a memorable flavor. We also shared a cheese plate with our choices being a Truffle and Gouda. They gave us such a small portion of the truffle cheese, it was hardly enough for a taste. The gouda was a more reasonable portion. The best thing about both of these was the fruit and veggies that were served along with the ‘main event.’

We all ordered a different entrée so that we could sample several. At our table we had the Pork Belly, the Porchetta, the Bone in Chop, and the Bone in Ribeye. The latter two were gargantuan. I had never tried Pork Belly previously and figured a restaurant specializing in pork was the place to do it. The flavor was very bacony, and the texture was crispy on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth goodness on the inside. I would never attempt to make it at home, but I certainly would order it again. It was served with slices of both red & green tomatoes with beautiful presentation. The Porchetta was also delicious, but I especially enjoyed what I believe were onion straws accompanying it. The Bone in Ribeye was enormous, but my husband cleaned his plate. The blue cheese butter was not overpowering and added a nice zest to the meat. The Chop was described as the Kobe of pork. It was a large, thick cut which was extraordinarily tender for a chop. The potato along side the chop was wonderfully rich and creamy.

We had no room for dessert, and honestly were absolutely roasting. We were seated in a window and the run was at our backs. We asked the waitress on at least two occasions to see if there was anything that could be done about the extreme heat inside, but she was having no luck as she was roasting as well. It was so refreshing to get outside.

I would definitely return to this restaurant, but on a brisk fall day when I am wanting some comfort food. There are a few items I would like to try including a beet salad that sounded devine.

• Visited June 2013
Mount Clemens, Michigan, United States
“Great Restaurant in Traverse City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a great place in Traverse City, a large outdoor space, under trees and umbrellas. I had the pork belly, fried green tomato, fried chevre, with a tobasco sauce. I also ordered a over easy egg added to the "stack", it was so good. The pork belly was so tender, such great flavors, I would definitely order this again.
We had a 16 month old with us, and they easily accomodated him, by making him a grilled cheese sandwich and had it ready before our food was ready.

• Visited July 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

They were very friendly & accommodating to my son's nut allergy; food was excellent & service friendly & professional.

Visited June 2013
Washington DC
“Disappointed with Food Quality and Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went for lunch and had high hopes because we were directed to this restaurant by someone at Bowers Harbor Vineyard. Our service was just OK -- waitress didn't seem to know much about the menu and didn't even know that what I ended up ordering was offered. The food itself was quite disappointing. I had the gnocchi with basil, tomato sauce, tomatos and mozzarella. The gnocchi was cooked properly, but was drenched in tomato sauce. There was barely any basil on the dish. There was a glob of mozzarella in one corner. And the tomatos seemed like those that are offered in a taco bar.

• Visited May 2013