“A great place to stay...”

Cherry Tree Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Traverse City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We can't say enough good things about this inn, because there were numerous positive pleasures, that we enjoyed. The room was spacious and immaculate, and cleaned daily to meet our expectations. Everything was provided, without requesting special attention. The food (breakfast) was provided, and the selection each morning was excellent. Every item was fresh and flavored like home-cooking. The reception staff was very friendly and efficient. They provided us with recommended restaurants that were superb, and even found an Optometrist to repair my glasses. What else can I say, this Hotel is the best...
Judy Chapin

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2010

Hello Ms. Chapin!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Cherry Tree. I'm so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay, our cleanliness, our service, and our restaurant recommendations. I'm glad we were able to help you find an optometrist to fix your glasses, too. Having "four eyes" myself, it's never fun to have your glasses break while on vacation.

I hope you have a nice fall and we'll be happy to see you visit us again.

Jonathan P.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,472)

Reviewed August 12, 2010

I have never been to Traverse City or stayed in any of the hotels so I took a gamble and found a good deal on hotels.com for the Cherry Tree Inn. I read all the reviews and looked at all the photos and I was still a little concerned about stay at the hotel. I had two problems: one was I couldn't find an actual layout of what my room would look like and the second was I hated the red bed with the blue carpet pictures. Ah screw it, I went for it anyways. Well my girlfriend and I were really glad I did. We had an excellent stay at our hotel. We were given the top floor with an amazing view of the water. I spent most of my time on vacation sipping cocktails on the balcony just feeling the breeze. Also our room was plenty big and.....A brownish carpet instead of blue! I was thrilled. Service was good as I did not wish to be disturbed on my vacation and the only phone call I got was from the front desk asking if the room was when we first came in. Awesome hand soaps that don't leave your hands greasy. We swam in the pool and I was about to try the hottub when I found my only complaint. The steps location are very deceiving when the bubbles are going along with an awkward positioning of the railing. I almost did a front flip into the hottub because I expected there to be a step where there wasn't one. Breakfast in the morning was good and I personally really liked the coffee. They also got the yogurt without the chunks which was perfect me as a person who doesn't like to eat weird textures. I could go on but in the end we had a great time and the excellent accomodations the Cherry Tree Inn provided really made our vacation.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2010

They were overbooked and I had to make a room change the first night., The breakfast area was too small and not much there, coffee was awful. Fitmess equip. was broken. Beach had marsh area on each side. The next day our room bed was not made up. We were asked to leave the third day after a staff told us that we were all set to stay in our hotel room for the following day. I had three kids and they informed me right when I was leaving for the day. Poor communication and too expensive for services. We went to a much better hotel down the road which was cheaper, better breakfast, beach and rooms. My husband and I are both professionals and would not stay again after the way we were treated.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank hindyAlgonac
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2010

Good day!

Thank you for your review of our property, and I do apologize that it wasn’t a better stay for you. As you and I discussed on the phone yesterday, you had reserved three different rooms and scheduled two room moves. At the time you reserved, which was at the beginning of July, other guests had reserved prior to you so we couldn’t accommodate your four-day stay in one room. By all means, we always want to keep a guest in the same room for all days of their visit – it’s simply easier on the guest. As I discussed with you on the phone, your reservation was not the case of overbooking. (To me, it’s ethically wrong to purposely overbook rooms. We never practice that sort of business at the Cherry Tree.) For your stay, you had reserved it with the room moves, we sent confirmations to show the different rooms you reserved, and you said you were aware of the room moves to me on the phone. We always monitor room moves to see if can avoid them for our guests, but if other guests who reserved prior to you don’t change their reservations or don’t cancel, we can’t accommodate you to be in the same room for all nights. I do apologize for any confusion with the room moves, but we did communicate as best as we could prior to your arrival.

I am sorry that during your stay we didn’t communicate better with you about the second room move. We could have certainly done that better, and I will work with the staff to make the communication to guests better. However, we did do a very nice job of accommodating you on that second room move. We thought your next room wasn’t going to be ready until after 12:00 PM, but our housekeeping staff worked hard and fast to prepare a room for you prior to 11:00 AM. We then offered to assist in moving your luggage for you, but you refused the help, the move, and you used an unprofessional word to describe one of my employees after she explained how she would help you. We certainly wanted to make the move as easy as possible on you, and I’m sorry you didn’t feel that way.

In regards to our breakfast, thank you for your opinion. We do feature three different types of bread, hard-boiled eggs, apples, bananas, apple streusel coffee cake, donut holes, hot and cold cereals, coffee, three types of juices, ready-to-make Belgian waffles with cherry topping and whipped cream, and either biscuits and sausage gravy or sausage and egg patties. For a complimentary breakfast, we do get good comments on it, but I wish you would have been more satisfied with it. I will see what we can do to adjust and make it better, including the space. It does get tight in the room during busy times and we offer additional seating in our lobby and trays for guests to take food to their rooms. We are working to redesign and open more space in our breakfast room area.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. Although your stay was poor, I am glad you enjoyed the room and we will certainly take your comments to heart so we can be a better hotel and offer better hospitality. Have a wonderful end of summer.

Jonathan P.

Reviewed August 9, 2010

Rooms were clean with a tv and phone in the bathroom (kinda neat). The breakfast was really good...lots to choose from!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I recently planned a trip to TC with my mother for quick end of the summer get away. Based on reviews we chose the Cherry Inn to stay at. What a great experience! The staff was all very curteous and helpful. The room was spacious and had a beautiful view of the bay with a balcony. Overall the room was very clean with the exception of one of the bedspreads which had a few stains and the balcony which could have used a sweep. The room was very quiet and included a microwave and mini-fridge. Breakfast was included however, the breakfast room is quite small and very busy in the morning! They did offer extra seating in a seperate room. Aside from a few very minor bumps the Cherry Tree was exactly what we were looking and afforded us a very relaxing and enjoyable stay!

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed August 4, 2010

The hotel has definitely improved since my last stay. the room was bright and friendly with a very nice view of the new beach area the hotel has created. We needed help finding things in town and the staff was very helpful and well informed as to local restaurants and shops. They even took out the maps and showed us what we were lookiing for.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Jpack, General Manager at Cherry Tree Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We're so glad that you enjoyed it, our beach area, and our friendly staff ( we do like giving out the area maps - they are so nice!). We hope to have you back again soon. Have a great August.

Jonathan P., General Manager

Reviewed August 3, 2010

I checked the reviews for the hotel before I booked and was not disappointed! The hotel was beautiful. We had a balcony room with 2 queen beds. The view was spectacular. The room was so bright, up to date and clean. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was good - it was included which made it convenient. The location of the hotel was also good - close to downtown Traverse City. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Cherry Tree. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and I'm sure the staff will really enjoy it as well. We wish you a happy end to summer!

Jonathan P., General Manager